Author Topic: Atlanta Traffic  (Read 1454 times)

Peter Griffin

Re: Atlanta Traffic
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 08:20:35 AM »
yeah IDK where I got 4 hours from, Google Transit has me at 1:20 in which involves a half mile walk along Jefferson St in Lavilla. I've been meaning to try it one day for "fun" but have a hard time convincing myself to be at the bus stop at 6AM to do it...

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 08:45:48 AM »
yeah IDK where I got 4 hours from, Google Transit has me at 1:20 in which involves a half mile walk along Jefferson St in Lavilla. I've been meaning to try it one day for "fun" but have a hard time convincing myself to be at the bus stop at 6AM to do it...

To be fair, it was probably closer to 2 1/2 hours - especially when including the dangerous, sidewalk-less journey from the Avenues Mall to my office.

When I worked at Convergys on Baymeadows Way, I went through a period where I was car-less, too. I would have to catch the bus at night and ended up getting off at the foot of the Acosta bridge and walking the rest of the way - it was way quicker than trying to transfer. Good times.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Captain Zissou

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 09:49:42 AM »
MARTA hasn't been expanded since....ever.  Clearly if the future of Atlanta is the automobile then Atlanta is done.  They can add all the office buildings and jobs they want, but new people to the ATL are going to find it increasing hard to find housing unless they want to pay a fortune for it.  Atlanta is going to have to switch to a very aggressive rail strategy at some point which leads me to wonder, if rail is the ultimate solution then why even waste money on making the car the center piece of their transit strategy for the past 30 years?  Think what kind of rail system they could have had by now.  Something for Jax to think about while we are busy adding toll lanes.

I actually agree with this.  Sure it will take a bit to get a viable rail infrastructure in place, but these toll lanes aren't cheap and they provide very marginal benefit.  Rail could eventually become transformational and the incremental costs to expand a functioning system are in line with something like 9B, the crazy amount of stuff they've done for blanding and wells road, the continual widening of I-10, etc.  Each time we discuss a new toll road or expressway, rail should be in the conversation.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 10:25:13 AM »
MARTA hasn't been expanded since....ever.  Clearly if the future of Atlanta is the automobile then Atlanta is done.  They can add all the office buildings and jobs they want, but new people to the ATL are going to find it increasing hard to find housing unless they want to pay a fortune for it.  Atlanta is going to have to switch to a very aggressive rail strategy at some point which leads me to wonder, if rail is the ultimate solution then why even waste money on making the car the center piece of their transit strategy for the past 30 years?  Think what kind of rail system they could have had by now.  Something for Jax to think about while we are busy adding toll lanes.

I actually agree with this.  Sure it will take a bit to get a viable rail infrastructure in place, but these toll lanes aren't cheap and they provide very marginal benefit.  Rail could eventually become transformational and the incremental costs to expand a functioning system are in line with something like 9B, the crazy amount of stuff they've done for blanding and wells road, the continual widening of I-10, etc.  Each time we discuss a new toll road or expressway, rail should be in the conversation.

It's interesting to consider the difference in approach taken by different cities. In London (yeah, I know...), TfL actively works to try to discourage people from driving and convince them to use public transport instead. Obviously, widening roads (and building new roads) is rarely an option, so they have to do what they can to get people to use other methods of transit.

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Kerry

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2019, 08:09:11 AM »
Spent the Labor Day weekend in DC and stayed out in Reston.  Took the train into the City everyday.  It takes about the same time as car but with no parking hassels.  In October we are headed to Seattle and I specifically selected hotels close to train stations so we don't have to drive into downtown.

It was kind of funny because my wife (who has miminal experience with mass transit) said we should have a rail system in Jax.  I then explained to her all the reasons rail won't work in Jax.
Third Place