Author Topic: Atlanta Traffic  (Read 1748 times)

Kerry

Atlanta Traffic
« on: July 08, 2019, 12:01:16 PM »
I spent the last few days in Atlanta and am shocked about how bad the traffic has gotten.  I lived there for 5 years several years ago and it was bad then, but it is so far out of hand I have to wonder how much longer Atlanta can continue to lie to themselves.  They have squeezed every last drop out of their road network that I don't see how they can continue.  Roads with enough space for 3 lanes now have 4 (some of which are more narrow than an SUV).  The shoulders of the interstate have been turned into lanes during rush hour.  There are car pool lanes, rideshare parking lots, and van shares.  On ramps are metered.  They have express lanes.  City streets have reversible lanes.  Tolls are congested priced.  On-street parking has been removed to make way for an additional lane of traffic.  All that and traffic is worse than ever.

What is possibly left for them to do to keep the automobile as a viable transit option?  There is simply no room left to add more capacity.
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: Atlanta Traffic
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 12:20:04 PM »
I completely agree. I don't get it at all. It also seems like the moves where a few areas incorporated themselves into separate cities (Sandy Springs as an example) might have made things worse.

I was staying over there for a wedding in May. The crazy thing was the size of of the office buildings in one area, yet nothing else was over there. So, Friday afternoon the place was a disaster trying to get around. On Saturday and Sunday you'd have thought the walking dead had come through - it was unreal (side note, some REALLY nice hotels have dirt cheap rates on the weekends). The lack of mixed use development was staggering.

With that said, State Farm is moving 10,000 employees in there for a regional hub so it's certainly not stopping development. While they are building a walkway to connect the building directly to the MARTA station, this only works if the employee lives a reasonable distance to the station on the other end.

Kerry

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 05:49:23 PM »
MARTA hasn't been expanded since....ever.  Clearly if the future of Atlanta is the automobile then Atlanta is done.  They can add all the office buildings and jobs they want, but new people to the ATL are going to find it increasing hard to find housing unless they want to pay a fortune for it.  Atlanta is going to have to switch to a very aggressive rail strategy at some point which leads me to wonder, if rail is the ultimate solution then why even waste money on making the car the center piece of their transit strategy for the past 30 years?  Think what kind of rail system they could have had by now.  Something for Jax to think about while we are busy adding toll lanes.
Third Place

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 03:36:21 PM »
Having extensive rail transit in places like Boston and Chicago haven't prevented them from having empirically worse auto traffic congestion than Atlanta.  I wouldn't be quick to assume things would be different in Atlanta if they had that infrastructure.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 01:17:45 PM »
Having extensive rail transit in places like Boston and Chicago haven't prevented them from having empirically worse auto traffic congestion than Atlanta.  I wouldn't be quick to assume things would be different in Atlanta if they had that infrastructure.

It doesn’t prevent traffic but it provides people a choice. In Chicago, whether by Bus or L, there’s a reasonable transit option basically anywhere in the city limits. Atlanta doesn’t have that. I’d also say that outside of the LA area, Atlanta is the only city to have “tier 1” traffic and no reasonable transit option for a large number of its residents.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 03:30:05 PM »

Can you imagine how bad their traffic would be without extensive rail transit?
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Kerry

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 03:48:31 PM »
Mass transit is to traffic congestion as aspirin is to headaches.  It only eliminates the pain of the person taking it.  If I take the train to work I don't have to deal with traffic, but an empty spot doesn't magically appear on the road where my car would have been.
Third Place

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 05:19:13 PM »
Mass transit is to traffic congestion as aspirin is to headaches.  It only eliminates the pain of the person taking it.  If I take the train to work I don't have to deal with traffic, but an empty spot doesn't magically appear on the road where my car would have been.

No, but one fewer car is on the road. En masse, that leads to "less bad" traffic, which was my point.

Where I live, traffic worsens dramatically when the train drivers go on strike.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 01:40:35 PM »
This may help... ever hear of the " Marchetti Constant"?

Pretty good explanation...

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2019/08/commute-time-city-size-transportation-urban-planning-history/597055/
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 03:39:04 PM »
This may help... ever hear of the " Marchetti Constant"?

Pretty good explanation...

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2019/08/commute-time-city-size-transportation-urban-planning-history/597055/

Interesting read, thanks BT. The ads were a *bit* annoying, though.

It takes me somewhere between 60-90 minutes to get to work every day  :(

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 03:26:15 PM »

I'm glad you've had good enough experience(s) with mass transit that you'd see it as an aspirin.

From my commuting experiences with a handful of mass transit system, you're replacing a headache ( driving ) with a migraine ( public transit ).

Peter Griffin

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 03:59:35 PM »

I'm glad you've had good enough experience(s) with mass transit that you'd see it as an aspirin.

From my commuting experiences with a handful of mass transit system, you're replacing a headache ( driving ) with a migraine ( public transit ).

Ooh, now that's a hot take around here!

As for my commute, Avondale to Southpoint, 15 minutes in the morning, 25 minutes at worst, no worse than 45 minutes home on the worst days, typically 30.

JTA buses would take me 3 hours. No transit for me for now

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 04:05:47 PM »

Ooh, now that's a hot take around here!

As for my commute, Avondale to Southpoint, 15 minutes in the morning, 25 minutes at worst, no worse than 45 minutes home on the worst days, typically 30.

JTA buses would take me 3 hours. No transit for me for now

If I drove to work, it would take me over two hours (at least). And I'd have to pay for parking. As it stands, I'm looking at about 1 hour 15 minutes.

I guess it depends where you are.

Peter Griffin

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 04:12:48 PM »

Exactly

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 05:53:50 PM »

Exactly

Years ago, I was living in Riverside and worked at the BoA campus off Southside Blvd. I had to take the bus to work a couple of times and it took about two hours.