Author Topic: Should bicycles share the road with cars or share the sidewalk with pedestrians?  (Read 634 times)

Megabox

Personally I think bicycles should be on the sidewalk. It is dangerous to ride a bicycle on the ride even in a bike lane.

Snaketoz

Sidewalks, but pedestrians should have the right of way.  People on bikes are really living dangerously riding in traffic.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
It's also not safe for bikes on sidewalks. Ultimately a system of protected bike lanes, cycle tracks and off road trails and paths would be ideal.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Peter Griffin

As it stands I'm pretty sure it's illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk in Jacksonville. Bikes are capable of going up to 20-30 mph with a skilled rider, that could absolutely wreck a pedestrian who was, for instance, stepping out of a storefront onto a sidewalk, or just rounding a blind corner out of an alley.

Bikes on the roads need to be careful, and cars need to pay attention.

I ride my bike on the road almost exclusively, except on shard use paths because they're designed to accommodate bikes and pedestrians. I ride assertively and defensively, use flashing head and tail lights, use hand signals, and obey traffic control devices. Bicycling or motorcycling (I do both) requires the rider to do a lot of work to make themselves very obvious and visible and to telegraph every move possible to drivers.

That said, I wish drivers paid better attention to motorcycles, bicyclists, and pedestrians. Hurrying and multitasking can be deadly.

bl8jaxnative

Personally I think bicycles should be on the sidewalk. It is dangerous to ride a bicycle on the ride even in a bike lane.

A bicycle on the sidewalk is the most dangerous scenario for EVERYONE, cyclists, pedestrians and cars.

Adam White

• Facebook
As it stands I'm pretty sure it's illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk in Jacksonville. Bikes are capable of going up to 20-30 mph with a skilled rider, that could absolutely wreck a pedestrian who was, for instance, stepping out of a storefront onto a sidewalk, or just rounding a blind corner out of an alley.

Bikes on the roads need to be careful, and cars need to pay attention.

I ride my bike on the road almost exclusively, except on shard use paths because they're designed to accommodate bikes and pedestrians. I ride assertively and defensively, use flashing head and tail lights, use hand signals, and obey traffic control devices. Bicycling or motorcycling (I do both) requires the rider to do a lot of work to make themselves very obvious and visible and to telegraph every move possible to drivers.

That said, I wish drivers paid better attention to motorcycles, bicyclists, and pedestrians. Hurrying and multitasking can be deadly.

It used to be illegal, I think, when I was a kid. Then the law in FL changed. Not sure if it changed back, but it was legal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk five or so years ago (when it was brought to my attention).

I assumed it was FL's way of not investing in cycle infrastructure - just allow the cyclists to ride on sidewalks instead.

Bikes belong on the road, preferably in cycle lanes. If people always ride on the sidewalks, motorists will never learn to share the road with cyclists.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Pastor Eric Wester

Having a recent (4 weeks) and rather ugly encounter with JSO about this, I was directed off the road onto the sidewalk. I was told on a bike I am a "secondary pedestrian."  Apparently riding in the curb lane is legal, but the deputy literally came into my workplace to correct my bicycle riding.

Thanks for this thread. Having recently moved from Arlington, Virginia-Washington DC, creating and deepening a bike-safe environment takes time and sustained, persistent effort. In my military and post-military life, I lived in the DC area 16 years. There, bicycles are now part of traffic and commuter planning. But this progress came after years, maybe decades of advocacy. I intend to keep riding as much as possible in our new home. I am equipped with multiple flashing lights on the front and back of my bike. Living downtown, it makes sense to bike when feasible   But the long term shifts with contiguous pathways and, more importantly, drivers aware and alert for pedestrians and bicyclists will take a long time. Be safe out there!

bl8jaxnative

Having a recent (4 weeks) and rather ugly encounter with JSO about this, I was directed off the road onto the sidewalk. I was told on a bike I am a "secondary pedestrian."  Apparently riding in the curb lane is legal, but the deputy literally came into my workplace to correct my bicycle riding.

Thanks for this thread. Having recently moved from Arlington, Virginia-Washington DC, creating and deepening a bike-safe environment takes time and sustained, persistent effort. In my military and post-military life, I lived in the DC area 16 years. There, bicycles are now part of traffic and commuter planning. But this progress came after years, maybe decades of advocacy. I intend to keep riding as much as possible in our new home. I am equipped with multiple flashing lights on the front and back of my bike. Living downtown, it makes sense to bike when feasible   But the long term shifts with contiguous pathways and, more importantly, drivers aware and alert for pedestrians and bicyclists will take a long time. Be safe out there!

This is uprising.  JSO's patrol chief Burgos [sic] has literally spazzed out at pedestrians for getting in his way while using a crosswalk.   They have a lot of great officers in that department.  Unfortunately they seem to have just as many that would be blessed if they were half as bright as a fireflies ass.