Author Topic: Front-yard vegetable gardens now legal in Florida  (Read 331 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Front-yard vegetable gardens now legal in Florida
« on: July 01, 2019, 01:27:04 PM »
https://floridapolitics.com/archives/299635-harvest-time-front-yard-vegetable-gardens-now-legal-in-florida

Harvest time: Front-yard vegetable gardens now legal in Florida
Local regulation of front yard gardens is now null and void.

ByA.G. GancarskionJune 26, 2019

The second time – or year – was the charm for a bill that will legalize front yard vegetable gardens in Florida.

On Tuesday, Gov. Ron DeSantis signed SB 82 into law. The bill, sponsored by Sen. Rob Bradley of Fleming Island, renders “void and unenforceable” local jurisdiction over front yard gardens.

“When I learned that the bill was signed I got artichoked up. Local governments will no longer be able to squash our freedom to grow vegetables on our land,” Bradley said, continuing a tradition of puns on this subject.

Jokes aside, the bill is serious for Bradley, and Floridians. The goal is to facilitate “the development of sustainable cultivation of vegetables and fruits at all levels of production, including for personal consumption.”

The issue attained statewide prominence when a Miami Shores couple sued for the right to plant a vegetable garden in their front yard. While they had cultivated their garden for two decades, code enforcement made its move earlier this decade.

National commentators commented on that “egregious overreach.” For Bradley, the issue was elemental, one of property rights.

“I feel strongly that the government should not have the power to fine a citizen for growing their own food on their own property,” he told us when he filed the bill months back.

Bradley added that “home rule is not a blank check to stomp on the fundamental rights of citizens. The Legislature has a role to play in protecting individual rights from unreasonable intrusion by government.”

First-term Republican Rep. Elizabeth Fetterhoff carried the House companion, a heavy lift since the bill did not get a hearing in the House in 2018.

As was the case for Bradley, Fetterhoff saw the issue as one of personal liberty.

“In some areas of our state, local governments place arbitrary restrictions on their citizens’ right to provide for themselves using their own private property,” Fetterhoff said when she filed the House bill.

“Home rule is very important to me.  There should always be an initial deference to local control at the beginning of any policy debate.  However, when the discussion becomes one of home rule versus fundamental and Constitutional rights, I will proudly fight for our rights every time,” Fetterhoff added.

The bill had little trouble in either the Senate or the House. The Senate passed it 35-5, and the House passed it 93-16.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Peter Griffin

Re: Front-yard vegetable gardens now legal in Florida
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 01:49:59 PM »
Not often I see a piece of legislation that makes me smile, but this does. I wonder if this defends against HOA's or just local municipal governments?

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 02:01:04 PM »
I wouldn't think this affects HOA/DRCs. 

Their rules are are 'in addition to' any local laws.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 02:05:41 PM »
The bill only preempts local government rules, not rules or gardening restrictions set by homeowners associations or other groups.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article228219329.html
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 02:48:58 PM »
About damn time. I'm a big believer in local governments' right to handle local issues on their own, but laws like this are just backward. And only thing worse than a backward and invasive law is a backward and invasive law that's only enforced arbitrarily.  If you've been doing something on your own property that doesn't affect anyone else for 20 years and code enforcement randomly shows up one day to get you to stop, it's not you that's out of step, it's the code.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 02:59:06 PM »
This is great news.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”