Author Topic: Five Historic Schools DCPS Still Plans To Demolish  (Read 664 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Five Historic Schools DCPS Still Plans To Demolish
« on: June 27, 2019, 06:25:16 AM »

Under the leadership of Superintendent Dr. Diana Green, Duval County Public Schools (DCPS) intends to implement a master facility plan that prioritizes more than $1 billion in maintenance repairs, and addresses inequities about out-of-date educational environments. While much has been said in recent weeks about DCPS plans to preserve the historic architecture of Springfield's Kirby-Smith Middle School and Mandarin's Loretto Elementary, a few other schools remain on the chopping block. Here are five architecturally significant historic school buildings currently slated for demolition without the consideration of adaptive reuse as an initial option.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/five-historic-schools-dcps-still-plans-to-demolish/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

acme54321

Re: Five Historic Schools DCPS Still Plans To Demolish
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 07:35:14 AM »
Suprised to see Ortega on the list since it's in the historic district...

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 08:21:27 AM »
It's not a local historic district so it's still pretty easy to demolish.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 09:18:40 AM »
What is DCPS going to do with the debris fields, sorry - vacant lots, where they demolish these schools?  Have they stated why to don't want to at least try to sell the buildings? 
I assume with Venetia, they will build the new school on the sports fields at the south end of the property, before tearing down the historic school near the street?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 09:32:22 AM »
Yes, here's the reason. It's one not based off of acknowledging the importance of local history, identity and cultural preservation and that impact on education.

Pierce, the school district spokesman, noted that other old schools sold to private individuals or groups have remained unused, such as the crumbling Annie Lytle school near the intersection of Interstates 95 and 10.

“Once sold, the district has no control over what the buyer does with the building,” he said. “We feel a strong obligation to prevent the blight in our city that is caused when older schools sit idle in neighborhoods.”

https://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,35582.msg493161/topicseen.html#new

Basically, they want to avoid another Annie Lytle situation, so they're willing to throw the baby (chances of a 1951 Market Lofts or John Gorrie) out with the bath water. The true solution is likely not selling properties to groups that don't have the financial capacity in place. This can be overcome through the RFP process.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 09:34:52 AM by thelakelander »

Captain Zissou

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 11:29:26 AM »
Ortega is a shame, but I'm sure there's an insider who is already in talks to buy that property.  4.5 acres in the heart of Ortega will fetch a pretty penny for somebody.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 11:50:03 AM »
DCPS responded to public outcry on Kirby-Smith Middle. Perhaps the same can keep the district from wasting the extra money for demolition in these cases. Venetia is the only one in the list that has a replacement plan.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

vicupstate

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 12:45:13 PM »
Ortega is a shame, but I'm sure there's an insider who is already in talks to buy that property.  4.5 acres in the heart of Ortega will fetch a pretty penny for somebody.

So would condominuims, whcih the school could be turned into. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 12:59:56 PM »
DCPS responded to public outcry on Kirby-Smith Middle. Perhaps the same can keep the district from wasting the extra money for demolition in these cases. Venetia is the only one in the list that has a replacement plan.

^I just went with the five oldest. I didn't dive into the Mid-Century schools built between 1949 and 1967 (don't have the time at the moment). Here is the list of 13 schools built during that period that would be closed and demolished:

Love Grove
John Love
Mount Herman
Pine Estates
West Jacksonville
Carter G Woodson
Gregory Drive
Hyde Grove
MLK
Rufus E. Payne
S.A. Hull
Susie E. Tolbert
Normandy Village

On top of that, there's at least 25 that would be razed and rebuilt like Venetia.  I'm sure there are several that likely hold some form of architectural value for that period of time like Rutledge H. Pearson Elementary (Sherwood Forest) or Taylor Hardwick's Westside High School (Jacksonville Heights/Cedar Hills).

Captain Zissou

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 02:06:40 PM »

So would condominuims, whcih the school could be turned into. 

I agree with you, but I don't think anyone in the employ of city agencies does.

FlaBoy

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 03:18:28 PM »

^I just went with the five oldest. I didn't dive into the Mid-Century schools built between 1949 and 1967 (don't have the time at the moment). Here is the list of 13 schools built during that period that would be closed and demolished:

Love Grove
John Love
Mount Herman
Pine Estates
West Jacksonville
Carter G Woodson
Gregory Drive
Hyde Grove
MLK
Rufus E. Payne
S.A. Hull
Susie E. Tolbert
Normandy Village

On top of that, there's at least 25 that would be razed and rebuilt like Venetia.  I'm sure there are several that likely hold some form of architectural value for that period of time like Rutledge H. Pearson Elementary (Sherwood Forest) or Taylor Hardwick's Westside High School (Jacksonville Heights/Cedar Hills).

DCPS wants to engage in a demolition derby that is unheard of in the State of Florida for schools. School districts rarely demolish schools, never mind the amount being talked about.