Author Topic: Mixed-Use Infill Proposed For Cathedral District  (Read 2866 times)

Captain Zissou

Re: Mixed-Use Infill Proposed For Cathedral District
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 09:30:41 AM »
Musicman is working really hard for that commission money.

I echo the sentiments above.  I like the project, but I wish it was proposed for currently vacant land.  If the homes can be moved, great.

lowlyplanner

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 10:41:06 AM »
How can we avoid the typical Jacksonville outcome - the houses come down but the project, because of reasons, fails to ever get built?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 10:54:35 AM »
It's hard to get a good idea of what the development will look like based on the plans in the story (well, it is for me). But to my eye, it looks like a parking garage.

In any event, it would be nice if they didn't have to tear anything down to build this (particularly if there is empty land nearby).
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

MusicMan

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 11:36:02 AM »
"Musicman is working really hard for that commission money."

I'll take that as a compliment Captain, since many Realtor's do very little for their commissions. ;D

But none are on the line here. Everyone should go and see the presentation if possible. I am out of town and saw the complete set of docs last week. I think it will look amazing when you put it all together, and I believe he will rent these spaces quickly as well. 

The houses are available FOR FREE to any interested party. But first he has to get approval for removal....

vicupstate

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 11:46:01 AM »
The houses are available FOR FREE to any interested party. But first he has to get approval for removal....

Maybe The JAXSON could do a story on the houses themselves. Pics of each with SF and other info. Maybe some comments from a professional mover on the ballpark expense of moving them. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 12:16:45 PM »
I'm not a fan of the house demolition. With that said, if this is given the green light, the demolition needs to be tied to actually building the new structure. I feel like a lot of times this issue is what's led to vacant lots (the buildings are demolished, the developer can't make the project work, now we have a vacant lot).

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 01:50:10 PM »
MusicMan, I appreciate what you have posted on here to help us understand the developer's motivations and the history of the property.  It would be great if those houses could be relocated to a vacant lot and restored!
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Kiva

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 06:21:34 PM »
I'm not a fan of the house demolition. With that said, if this is given the green light, the demolition needs to be tied to actually building the new structure. I feel like a lot of times this issue is what's led to vacant lots (the buildings are demolished, the developer can't make the project work, now we have a vacant lot).
Is there a way of doing that? As far as I know, you can only specify that if the new building is not completed by a certain time the land reverts to the previous owner, but by then the houses will be gone.

vicupstate

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 07:37:44 AM »
Is there a way of doing that? As far as I know, you can only specify that if the new building is not completed by a certain time the land reverts to the previous owner, but by then the houses will be gone.

Charleston can and sometimes does require a building permit to be issued for the new 'replacement' building before issuing a demolition permit for a protected structure. Even that can't guarantee the construction will actually take place, but it does mean the applicant has a completely vetted replacement and has incurred considerable costs in getting to that point.

I have no idea if the appropriate Boards and departments in JAX have that capability.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

MusicMan

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 02:38:46 PM »
Great news for ARKEST and Caldera. I think for everyone!  The houses are available for anyone who wants to meet with Caldera and arrange for transport. The homes will be FREE as I understand it.  Or take them apart and re-assemble elsewhere.  There is A LONG WAY TO GO before any construction can start....

MusicMan

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2019, 08:24:44 AM »
Support is building:

https://www.jacksonville.com/opinion/20190702/tuesday-editorial-bold-527-duval-street-project-is-drawing-raves

Folks, the houses are FREE. Connect with Caldera to arrange to get one.  I'm not a house mover but imagine $25,000 would be the starting point to move a house.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2019, 08:46:39 AM »
Would love to promote to our network and email distribution lists that the houses are free, with some background information and imagery for each one.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

MusicMan

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 11:57:30 AM »
I will help you get that done.

MusicMan

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2019, 04:53:14 PM »
Unless I am mistaken (I was not present) the HPC gave the go ahead to Caldera to remove the structures and begin planning, permitting, ,,,,  basically permission to do the project.

I would appreciate anyone who was there to provide more details. 

Also the houses are available. Move them if you like, Caldera will co-ordinate with anyone who has the resources to do it.