Author Topic: Tiny Home Community for Veterans coming to LaVilla?  (Read 571 times)

Captain Zissou

Re: Tiny Home Community for Veterans coming to LaVilla?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 03:37:47 PM »
As long as they save Genovar's hall and the shotgun houses, this sounds great.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 05:28:35 PM »
Good idea, but not an appropriate location. Continuing to concentrate poverty and people with significant problems in small area of the city has negative consequences for that area. There are plans for positive redevelopment of LaVilla, and this would likely counteract that.

Hopefully a location can be found where there is a lack of similar programs, rather than adding to the pile in that specific part of town.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 01:41:49 PM by Bill Hoff »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 01:48:29 AM »
The Times Union is blocked across the pond so I don't know what the article says but I do know the plan was to save and renovate Genovar's Hall and the shotgun houses. I believe the bottom floor of Genovar's would be some sort of event space. If so, it would be cool if CWM could do something similar there to what it does at the Cathedral. That would be a way to activate that space in a manner that could play into its historical and cultural heritage without the reliance on the market.

As for the project in general, I do hope that it is laid out to fit in with the surrounding community and not something that faces inward, turning its back to Broad, Ashley, Jefferson and Church streets. That's a pretty important block in regards to the revitalization of Broad Street. How does this project front Broad Street and assist in the redevelopment of this vital cultural heritage corridor of LaVilla? It needs to be a catalytic anchor along Broad and not something revitalization of that corridor must overcome.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 01:51:53 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bill Hoff

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 08:09:10 AM »
The proposed layout is featured here:
https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/clara-white-mission-working-on-tiny-house-proposal-to-present-to-city-in-july/960025094

Looks like the whole project turns its back to Broad Street.

But, in any layout, it would have a net negative impact on the area - concentrating poverty & problems into one small part of Downtown over the decades tends to do that.