Author Topic: History of Cedar Hills/Lakeshore  (Read 460 times)

newfloridian83

History of Cedar Hills/Lakeshore
« on: June 12, 2019, 03:18:24 PM »
I don't see Lakeshore listed as an area near downtown, so apologies if this is the wrong place.  I'm a recent transplant to Jax and am curious about the history of Lakeshore and Cedar Hills.  I bought a house built in 1951 on the Cedar River, and the deed calls the area "Lake Shore Manor," and I've been puzzled by that since the area on google maps calls the area Cedar Hills.  I can't find anything about this online and was wondering in a local may know more about the area or maybe how it evolved to what it is now.  Since the area is adjacent to Confederate Point, Cedar Hills, and Lakeshore, I'm never really sure where to tell people I live.  I've found one map that calls my little subdivision Cedar Forest, but that seems to not be a formal name?  Thanks for any insight!

acme54321

Re: History of Cedar Hills/Lakeshore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 03:54:26 PM »
Lakeshore Manor is probably what the specific developer called the project when platted in the 50s.  You aren't alone, the vast majority of properties are recorded like that.  Most people would call it Cedar Hills.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 03:59:55 PM by acme54321 »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 04:30:56 PM »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Josh

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 09:41:45 AM »
The COJ Property Appraiser site lists a subdivision called "Lake Shore Manor S/P PT." I'm not sure what "S/P PT" entails, but it probably has something to do with what acme mentioned.

Those individual "subdivision" labels actually add a lot of character and history to the older neighborhoods in my opinion.

newfloridian83

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:14:24 AM »
Thanks for the links.  I'm big into history so seeing all the older photos was really cool.  I saw two photos of houses in my neighborhood in the articles, so I guess it is Cedar Hills after all.  I wonder if anyone knows when that name came about.  If the developers named them Lake Shore Manor, I wonder if the area was originally just an expansion over the river and later developed the name.

The app Nextdoor still shows a lot more granularity in the areas that are all viewed as Cedar Hills in the article.  I'm hoping I'll stumble across the original builder of my home on the Cedar River.  I'd love to know more about the history, but the property records seem to only go back the last few owners.

https://nextdoor.com/neighborhood/cedarforest--jacksonville--fl/

Here are a few older articles regarding the history of these neighborhoods:

Lake Shore: https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2008-mar-urban-neighborhoods-lake-shore

Cedar Hills: https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-jun-suburban-jacksonville-exploring-cedar-hills