Author Topic: Voters vs Toll Booths  (Read 372 times)

sandyshoes

Voters vs Toll Booths
« on: June 10, 2019, 01:02:47 PM »
I know I'm WAY late to this party, life's been busy...  Thirty-two years ago, in 1987, with Tommy Hazouri as our Mayor, Jacksonville voters abolished toll roads/booths.  Now they are coming back.  So just HOW and WHEN did the voters get the opportunity to vote yes or no for the return of these beasts?  I don't recall hearing anybody voicing opinions one way or the other;  it seems as if it was just foist upon the taxpayers.  Fill me in?  How does something happen without the voters?  Thx.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 01:04:29 PM by sandyshoes »

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: Voters vs Toll Booths
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 01:10:46 PM »
This is the fallacy of what people either forgot what they voted for, or plain didn’t understand it. Jacksonville NEVER voted to permanently ban toll booths. They simply voted to replace all existing local tolls to fund JTA with a 1/2 cent sales tax increase to fund JTA. That passed.

Nowhere in that ballot measure did it prohibit the State from implementing tolls in the city limits.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 01:19:56 PM »
What Steve said.  Although, apparently, people DID think they were voting to "ban tolls forever," however incorrect that assumption.

Kerry

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 08:34:22 PM »
I'll say this about toll roads, it gives you a good estimation of how high the gasoline tax should be.
Third Place