Author Topic: 2019 Women's World Cup  (Read 3751 times)

Kiva

2019 Women's World Cup
« on: June 09, 2019, 04:42:41 PM »
USA have their first game at 3 p.m. on Tuesday. They should have a pretty easy win against Thailand, but Sweden on June 20th will be an interesting game. Is anyone else following this?

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: 2019 Women's World Cup
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 06:24:07 AM »
USA have their first game at 3 p.m. on Tuesday. They should have a pretty easy win against Thailand, but Sweden on June 20th will be an interesting game. Is anyone else following this?

I watched a bit of England v Scotland yesterday. Not crazy about women's soccer, but the match had its moments!
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 07:34:36 AM »
Watched Spain beat South Africa... I will try and catch the Americans... otherwise will probably only watch if there is some kind of compelling match up or nothing else is on...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

wanderson91

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 10:47:41 AM »
There's a decent amount of new teams and teams that haven't qualified in decades, so I'm excited to watch them (Italy, Jamaica, South Africa, etc)

It's always nice to see different combos of teams, so I'm looking forward to this World Cup. The first few games have been excellent. Italy beating Australia in the 95th minute was wild.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 04:52:21 PM »
Um... pretty good start.  13-0
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

wanderson91

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 07:12:28 PM »
Great way to remind everyone who the defending champs are, tbh

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 08:08:57 PM »
^For real!
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Snaketoz

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 07:43:03 AM »
USA looked awesome.  Thailand looked baffled.  Nice start!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 03:20:22 PM »
Another lopsided victory...would have been more than 3-0 but for the awesome efforts of Chile's goaltender...

Kiva

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 04:02:50 PM »
With two wins they are definitely through to the next round. The game against Sweden should be more interesting!

wanderson91

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 07:34:46 PM »
The Chilean keeper was phenomenal. I hope we see Endler in the NWSL when her European contract is up

wanderson91

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 05:37:26 PM »
Argentina was down 3-0 with 16 minutes and came back to tie with Scotland, finishing third and taking away Scotland's chance to advance. Nigeria now has a chance to end up in the knockout round, depending on how the four games go tomorrow.

Coincidentally, both the Arg/Sco and Fra/Nig games came down to VAR redoing a penalty kick because a keeper was off the line.

There have been a lot of valid complaints about VAR in the tourney because neither the refs nor the players had any type of adjustment period in qualifiers or friendlies to get used to VAR. So far, it's played a *huge* role in the tournament and I hope it makes FIFA reconsider some rules or in what instances VAR is implemented.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 05:38:47 PM »
VAR?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 05:56:58 PM »
VAR?

Video Assistant Referee. Or "instant replay", if you will.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 06:40:30 AM »
VAR?

Video Assistant Referee. Or "instant replay", if you will.

Update: it appears that VAR won't be used to check whether or not a keeper has left his line in the Premier League

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-va-rs-will-not-call-for-penalty-retakes-after-scotlands-dramatic-womens-world-cup-defeat-091647490.html