Author Topic: 2019 Women's World Cup  (Read 3748 times)

Snufflee

Re: 2019 Women's World Cup
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 03:21:40 PM »
It was a cheap penalty, but a penalty none the less. VAR actually was used correctly, confirmed the officials call on the field of contact. 

I would have to say that rather than it being a cheap penalty... It was actually quite expensive...   ;)

Haha that it was.

Comments on the game, the path to "Gold" is never easy. I give the US Team props for not panicking when things were not developing in the offensive zone and maintaining ball control dominance.

It may have been a minimal contact penalty but good things happen to teams that play in control and take advantage of opportunities. 
And so it goes

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2019, 03:07:21 PM »
Well... THAT didnt take long... USA 1-0
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2019, 04:56:33 PM »
Final... 2-1 USA...  8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Kiva

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2019, 06:33:28 PM »
It was a good game. Next up is England on Tuesday.  ;D

pierre

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2019, 09:27:16 AM »
Jacksonville was in the top 5 of US markets in terms of ratings for the game on Friday.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2019/06/uswnt-france-womens-world-cup-rating/

Another reason it is incredibly sad that this city does not have a team to cheer for, beyond a semi-pro version of what is left of the Armada.

blizz01

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2019, 09:57:15 AM »
I wonder how much of that has to do with the run of National Team (men and women) friendlies that came through Jax a few years back.  Also, I believe that I read somewhere that there were several women representing multiple counties with North Florida ties.  I believe that Morgan Brian (USA) played with the Florida Sol in Fleming Island and Jamaica's Sade Adamolekun graduated from Fleming Island High School.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2019, 03:41:52 AM »
Jacksonville was in the top 5 of US markets in terms of ratings for the game on Friday.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2019/06/uswnt-france-womens-world-cup-rating/

Another reason it is incredibly sad that this city does not have a team to cheer for, beyond a semi-pro version of what is left of the Armada.

I read somewhere that the US women's jersey is the best-selling jersey of all time on Nike.com. As in it is selling better than any other football shirt Nike has ever sold on Nike.com (for any team - club or country). It's crazy that women's soccer is so popular in America - I think it's a great thing. Too bad about the arrogance.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 04:54:50 AM by Adam White »
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2019, 08:51:26 AM »
What arrogance?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2019, 08:55:53 AM »
What arrogance?

Saying things like you have the best team in the world...and the second best team in the world (referring to the reserves). Or making comments that pre-supposed they will be in the final.

And whilst I don't fault them for continuing to score against Thailand, there is something very unsporting about the way they celebrated after every single goal.

The US team is clearly the team to beat - but a bit of humility might do them well.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2019, 09:11:04 AM »
What arrogance?

Saying things like you have the best team in the world...and the second best team in the world (referring to the reserves). Or making comments that pre-supposed they will be in the final.

And whilst I don't fault them for continuing to score against Thailand, there is something very unsporting about the way they celebrated after every single goal.

The US team is clearly the team to beat - but a bit of humility might do them well.

Rubbish... you say it yourself... they are clearly the team to beat.  Don't confuse confidence with arrogance...  Also... I am certain everyone would agree that scoring a goal in the World cup is special for the individual scoring it.  They should be allowed to celebrate.  I saw no evidence of taunting or unsportsmanlike conduct.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2019, 09:14:37 AM »
What arrogance?

Rubbish... you say it yourself... they are clearly the team to beat.  Don't confuse confidence with arrogance...  Also... I am certain everyone would agree that scoring a goal in the World cup is special for the individual scoring it.  They should be allowed to celebrate.  I saw no evidence of taunting or unsportsmanlike conduct.

You don't watch much soccer, do you?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2019, 09:22:59 AM »
What arrogance?

Define ..."much".  I do have to split time between family... American football, baseball, hockey, and soccer.  Not sure what you are implying but you are still off base and clearly a bit sensitive/nervous...

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2019, 09:31:39 AM »
What arrogance?

Define ..."much".  I do have to split time between family... American football, baseball, hockey, and soccer.  Not sure what you are implying but you are still off base and clearly a bit sensitive/nervous...

I'm not sensitive or nervous (and I note that you're the one who took exception to my original post - so I could make the same claim about you).

I just think you *might* not really have an understanding of what is expected. When the number one ranked team continues to exuberantly celebrate each goal it scores on its way to demolishing the 34th ranked team (and first time WC participants) by a scoreline of 13-0, it looks bad and could be considered excessive. And it was noted in the press - so it's not really a good look for the USA. It's okay to score the goals and it's okay to celebrate - but they should've dialed it down a bit after the fifth or six (or seventh) goal. Basically, once it was clear they had it in the bag.

I guess, as an American, I *do* find it a bit embarrassing. And the comments about having the second best team in the world, in addition to being incorrect, also come across like arrogance. As you said, there is a difference between confidence and arrogance.

In any event, as they say, opinions are like assholes.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2019, 09:42:51 AM »
I don't mind celebration and we're certainly the team to beat, but I'm with Adam. Enough with the overkill.

Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2019, 09:53:44 AM »
I don't mind celebration and we're certainly the team to beat, but I'm with Adam. Enough with the overkill.

You know, this makes me wonder if Jacksonville ought to look into getting a women's soccer team.