Author Topic: Vystar CEO Personally Investing in Downtown  (Read 2814 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Vystar CEO Personally Investing in Downtown
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2019, 04:32:11 PM »
I can't even seriously consider the beaches as an excuse. If that were the case, St. Petersburg, Tampa, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Sarasota, Pensacola, Houston, Savannah, Charleston, Wilmington, Norfolk, San Diego, LA, etc. would be in similar or worse position. I truly believe DT Jax's largest challenge and obstacle to overcome has been shortsightedness coming out of city hall.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kiva

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 06:56:27 PM »

I totally agree that the city and DIA have huge problems making DT better. As a general observation, I know Buffalo has Lake Erie, but neither Buffalo nor Oklahoma City have miles of ocean beaches to compete with DT.

My opinion is city and JEA need to unload all of their DT properties at low costs if not free to developers of all types with one stipulation. No surface parking lot. Let's see what DT looks like 10 years from now.
That is way too sensible an idea. The city council would never do that. Better to keep city properties indefinitely and wait for them to fall apart!

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 11:25:52 AM »
I can't even seriously consider the beaches as an excuse. If that were the case, St. Petersburg, Tampa, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Sarasota, Pensacola, Houston, Savannah, Charleston, Wilmington, Norfolk, San Diego, LA, etc. would be in similar or worse position. I truly believe DT Jax's largest challenge and obstacle to overcome has been shortsightedness coming out of city hall.

I'd take downtown Jacksonville over downtown LA any day.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 11:56:22 AM »
Not if vibrancy is important to you. DT LA is pretty vibrant for a US city. One of the best in the country, IMO. Definitely underrated. Some pictures I took from last year:

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kerry

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 05:42:26 PM »
All the street scenes of Seinfeld were filmed in downtown LA.  Most people thought it was NYC.
Third Place

blizz01

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 06:05:12 PM »
Not all. I can think of Tom's Restaurant in particular.  And whatever the  Soup Nazi place was called. 

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 07:13:46 PM »
All the street scenes of Seinfeld were filmed in downtown LA.  Most people thought it was NYC.

That is mostly true (about 99%). There were some specific places that were filmed in NY, but most of what was New York was establishing exterior shots. Monk's (which is really Tom's at 112th and Broadway) exterior is New York, but the interior is a set in LA. The Soup Nazi place was LA (though based on a NY place). Most of the New York stuff also was shot with doubles (there's a classic scene with Kramer outrunning the Cable Guy. All of the New York shots were shot from Kramer's back because it wasn't actually Michael Richards.

Anyway....lol

pierre

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 07:46:12 AM »

That is 100% true. And the people making the terrible decisions keep getting elected and re-elected.

jaxlore

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 01:46:28 PM »
I was in Detroit two weeks ago and they are moving at the speed of light compared to us. Downtown and surrounding areas like Ferndale and Royal Oak really putting jax to shame.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 01:59:50 PM »
^Yeah it is insane how much we've missed the urban redevelopment boom of the last 10 years in comparison with most major cities across the country. Sometimes you'll get tagged with being a pessimist but people really do need to wake up and see what's been taking place outside of Duval County in recent years. After all, one can only be a cheerleader up to a point before that same cheerleading turns into an economic negative. Hopefully, more exposure of what other places are accomplishing will help us get over the hump.

RiversideRambler

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2019, 02:05:38 PM »
I don't think a lot of local people realize how dead the Northbank is in comparison with the downtowns of other major US cities.

Does the geography of Jacksonville contribute to this? If there wasn't a river between San Marco and Downtown, would more people go downtown after work hours? Second to "there's nothing to do downtown", I think people believe it's difficult to get there. We talk about the river as an asset but does it, combined with the highways, isolate downtown?

Just thinking out loud...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 02:14:28 PM by RiversideRambler »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2019, 02:38:41 PM »
I don't think a lot of local people realize how dead the Northbank is in comparison with the downtowns of other major US cities.

Does the geography of Jacksonville contribute to this?

I don't personally believe so. Or else places like Cincinnati, Norfolk, Louisville, St. Louis, Grand Rapids, etc. would have similar struggles. I truly believe that DT Jax's biggest problem has been city hall embracing policies and weird redevelopment gimmicks that make the revitalization effort difficult.

If there wasn't a river between San Marco and Downtown, would more people go downtown after work hours? Second to "there's nothing to do downtown",

The question we general fail to ask is why? Decades of continuously destroying buildings for parking lots hamper the possibility of a critical mass of small complimenting projects being able to proceed naturally. Blowing down surrounding neighborhoods of high density and replacing them with less density hurts as well.  Then, failing to invest in the little necessary things, in favor of attempting to swing for the fences with dreams of home run projects also hurts.

I think people believe it's difficult to get there.

In reality, most of downtown's issues are self inflicted. It is difficult when we keep doing the same things since the 1960s and expecting a different result. Turning things around, simply means doing what works for a change, even if it goes against traditional local practices and familiarity.

We talk about the river as an asset but does it, combined with the highways, isolate downtown?

Just thinking out loud...

The river is simply water. We can't really maximize its potential without first paying high attention to the breathing life into sick urban area that extends several blocks north of it.

pierre

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2019, 03:03:07 PM »
^Yeah it is insane how much we've missed the urban redevelopment boom of the last 10 years in comparison with most major cities across the country. Sometimes you'll get tagged with being a pessimist but people really do need to wake up and see what's been taking place outside of Duval County in recent years. After all, one can only be a cheerleader up to a point before that same cheerleading turns into an economic negative. Hopefully, more exposure of what other places are accomplishing will help us get over the hump.

I travel a lot for work and pleasure. It is outright stunning how far behind other cities we are. And I am not just talking about big metros. Similar size cities, and smaller cities. We are decades behind. It is actually very depressing to travel and come back here.

MusicMan

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2019, 03:24:13 PM »
I am a big fan of VyStar. They are a critical supporter of the Symphony, and are making their presence known downtown.  I've also used them to buy 3 cars. The last one I was able to refi over the phone, in 30 minutes,and never left my office chair..... knocked my payment down by over $100.

I'll keep using them, and recommend you guys do it as well. When a company starts doing what you want to see happen in your community, then support them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

VyStar Center for Performing Arts??? I like the sound of that.

Just came back from a 2 day trip to Atlanta. Had not realized how impressive it is as a city these days. Spent time in Inman Park, a well known neighborhood. I loved the juxtapostion of new modern architecture with the older homes. IMO they complement one another and gives customers choice! 

Stayed at Aloft near Centennial Park. It was great!

By the way the asking price for the 325 W Forsyth bldg was $625,000.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 03:33:11 PM by MusicMan »

Kerry

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »
Careful...you guys are treading into Kerry territory.
Third Place