Author Topic: Florida Times-Union: Don’t demolish the Landing before examining adaptive reuse  (Read 8712 times)

Wacca Pilatka

Re: Florida Times-Union: Don’t demolish the Landing
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2019, 12:46:06 PM »
I wonder if any of this material will make its way to Eco Relics after the salvage process.

Also, what will become of the Jacksonville historical/informational markers along the riverfront that Rouse installed?
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
The $1 million demolition job is expected to start in the fall and finish by the end of the year, city spokeswoman Nikki Kimbleton said.

Is this a demolition job or an extraction job? The German Army dismantled the Amber Room in only 2 days. Have imagine there is a lot of valuable materials at The Landing if the demolition timeline is that long and open ended.

Yes, it is a prefectly fine building. So fine and structurally sound that Hooters and Fionn Maccool's both spent a good sum of money to update their spaces within the last 18 months. It makes sense that many of its materials would be reusable, have some resale and recycling value. What doesn't make sense is why COJ would take this path.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2019, 12:50:15 PM »
Years ago on this site, there was a lot of discussion about the idea of a Jacksonville Walk of Fame.  I'd gladly buy some of those silhouettes in salvage and donate them to the City for such a venture, but lack faith that the City wouldn't do something absurd to waste or discard them.  See, e.g., the LaRose shoe collection and the City Hall lunettes, to say nothing of the current wanton destruction of the Landing and the 60s City Hall.  Maybe donation to Groundwork Jacksonville would be an option?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 12:53:02 PM by Wacca Pilatka »
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
^Right now, COJ already owns them!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2019, 01:24:24 PM »
LOL.  Yes, but if the current sequential result of that ownership is to let the demolition company keep and profit the salvageable material, then I'm wondering if concerned citizens (or whatever category I fall into) conceivably could request in advance to purchase certain salvageable features. 

I am in all seriousness picturing those silhouettes resurfacing along the Emerald Necklace trail with some sort of enhancement explaining the significance of Abraham Lincoln Lewis, W.B. Barnett, Klutho, etc. etc.

I have contacted D.H. Griffin about this.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 01:32:55 PM by Wacca Pilatka »

Henry J. Klutho

Charles Hunter

I'm guessing DOT will have to the change the big green directional sign on I 95 Northbound that steers people to "The Landing" to
"Vacant Weed Covered (Waterfront) Lot." 

But then again, that could cause confusion cause there are so many......

I heard from a friend at DOT, that the Landing messages will be covered up on all directional signs this fall. Not so sure about the "Weed Covered Lot" as a replacement, though. Probably because, as you said, that refers to too many locations.

Kerry

We'll see if the City gets around to removing the wayfinder signs directing drivers to The Landing as well as the recently installed ones along the Riverwalk.
Third Place

fieldafm

• Editor
We'll see if the City gets around to removing the wayfinder signs directing drivers to The Landing as well as the recently installed ones along the Riverwalk.

The Riverwalk wayfaring signs have never listed the Landing as a destination (they list MOSH, the YMCA, RAM, dining/retail, etc... but never the Landing). The paper maps within the sign holders are the only thing that reference the Landing.

sandyshoes

Combine the two Arts high schools into one spectacular space, enough room for several events/performances at one time.  If FSCJ could do it with the former Grande Boulevard Mall in Deerwood, it could work!  Shad Kahn could pull some strings. 

Bativac

« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2019, 03:11:57 PM »
I am in all seriousness picturing those silhouettes resurfacing along the Emerald Necklace trail with some sort of enhancement explaining the significance of Abraham Lincoln Lewis, W.B. Barnett, Klutho, etc. etc.

I admire this positive, hopeful thinking!

...We all know those silhouettes are going to end up in the dumpster.

Jacksonville is so fiercely ignorant of its own history that it wouldn't surprise me to hear public outcry over money being spent to install those silhouettes anywhere.

Kerry

The Riverwalk wayfaring signs have never listed the Landing as a destination (they list MOSH, the YMCA, RAM, dining/retail, etc... but never the Landing). The paper maps within the sign holders are the only thing that reference the Landing.

Hmmm, I could have swore is saw The Landing on at least one of them.  Alas, I know there are several wayfinding sign with The Landing on them.
Third Place

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2019, 04:56:58 PM »

I admire this positive, hopeful thinking!

...We all know those silhouettes are going to end up in the dumpster.

Jacksonville is so fiercely ignorant of its own history that it wouldn't surprise me to hear public outcry over money being spent to install those silhouettes anywhere.

I have heard back from the demolition company.  They were willing to hear my offer to purchase the silhouettes.

I have also contacted Groundwork about potential installation along the Emerald Trail and contributing to language/cost for historical placards and/or an audio tour covering the significance of everyone on the silhouettes.

Henry J. Klutho

Charles Hunter

^ crowd fund?

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2019, 05:37:01 PM »
I'm all for it.  Waiting to see if the demo people accept my offer on the silhouettes themselves and what I hear from Groundwork.

I'd love for the silhouettes to remain downtown along the lines of the Jacksonville Walk of Fame idea Ocklawaha proposed long ago, but based on the city's history of neglecting assets like this, I'd rather contribute them to a charity.  I want them to remain on public display and for people to know the significance of everyone pictured.

Rouse really did a good job of historical homework and creating that sense of place when establishing these marketplaces.  E.g., naming the pushcart market that was in the Landing at the beginning Dawson & Buckles in honor of Jacksonville's first merchants.

Henry J. Klutho

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2019, 08:09:09 AM »
^ If the wrecking company tells me yes, Groundwork is on board.

Henry J. Klutho