Author Topic: Florida Times-Union: Don’t demolish the Landing before examining adaptive reuse  (Read 15897 times)

sandyshoes

I-10, I agree with you.  Ok, here's my last shot - and before I get crucified again by a particular poster on this forum, no I am not personally in a financial position to make any of this happen.  That said...everyone bemoans the absence of downtown retail shopping.  How about getting 3 or 4 main retailers (Dillards, Belk, maybe even a Target?) as anchors and see how that does while the parking is worked on.  Gauge the customer flow/peak hours, and see what else is possible.  I say keep it retail, b/c not all restaurants are going to last, as we know - the quality of the product begins to suffer at some point and there we go again, empty real estate.  If you have clothing, etc. that downtown workers especially need, make it easier for them to get to it instead of fighting the traffic back to their neighborhoods and in some cases having to run to a mall before it closes, while the family is waiting for dinner...ditto a Target to take care of whatever junior HAS to have for school TOMORROW, some basic household stuff...anything to make it easier for downtown workers.  Put in parking meters if you need to.  But plan it with room for parking, do not use all the retail space until you see how the anchor stores do.  Then later, maybe add a grocery store.  But keep the parking in mind as that is the issue.  I'm done, I would hate to see The Landing go away; the riverfront would look as if it lost both front teeth.  Thanks for letting me have my opinion too. 

I-10east

^^^Those sound like some great ideas in which I wish that the city would take into consideration (among with another proposals). It makes no sense tearing down something iconic to Jax as the Landing with ZILCH in place of it. Sadly that "saving the Landing" ship has sailed, and IMO (and yours, and many others) the city is about to do something stupid, and we are taking a major step backwards. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 08:10:34 PM by I-10east »

bl8jaxnative

That mullet is iconic.    That doesn't mean you shouldn't shave it off.   

itsfantastic1

Remember when the city wanted the companies to perform their own asbestos inspection...

Landing demolition project engineer Nikita Reed announced in a prebid meeting May 23 that the city was asking the bid winner to perform the asbestos inspection, to the surprise of many of the contractors in the room.

Dee Ann Miller, the press officer for Florida’s Department of Environmental Protection, said in an email May 23 that the city’s order is contrary to federal rules.

“EPA’s National Emission Standards for Asbestos, 40 CFR 61.145(b), is a federal rule that requires the owner or operator of a demolition or renovation activity to thoroughly inspect the facility for the presence of asbestos,” she wrote.

KenFSU

That mullet is iconic.    That doesn't mean you shouldn't shave it off.   

Captain Zissou

There is a giant steaming pile in the stairwell of the 9 story garage on Bay street across from Wells Fargo Center, the new lawn where the courthouse used to be is already overgrown, and I saw a homeless man walking down the middle of Bay at 11 just shouting to anyone willing to listen.  Tell me again about how we spent $25M to shut down 30 businesses.

Kerry

Was in Chattanooga on Saturday.  It was the first time my wife had been there.  Direct quote from her after seeing downtown Chattanooga:  For Jax being as big as it we don't have **** compared to this.
Third Place

Bill Hoff

Was in Chattanooga on Saturday.  It was the first time my wife had been there.  Direct quote from her after seeing downtown Chattanooga:  For Jax being as big as it we don't have **** compared to this.

Yea, but we have more suburbs. SO EAT THAT CHATTANOOGA!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
These days, DT Jax likely comes short of most places with a pulse. For all the potential that it has, it will struggle to truly benefit from it as long as we keep doing the same silly things that have continuously failed since 1950.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Todd_Parker

The sad thing is that all of this non-activity is taking place during what we’ve been told is the greatest economy in the history of all economies.

Looking forward to seeing downtown Jax during the next recession.

MusicMan

I'm guessing DOT will have to the change the big green directional sign on I 95 Northbound that steers people to "The Landing" to
"Vacant Weed Covered (Waterfront) Lot." 

But then again, that could cause confusion cause there are so many......

Wacca Pilatka

Re: Florida Times-Union: Don’t demolish the Landing
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2019, 10:47:03 AM »
Does anyone know what will happen to the silhouettes of figures from Jacksonville history that hang in the food court at the Landing?  Hopefully these won't just be destroyed in the demolition like Klutho's lunettes on the old city hall...
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

MusicMan

Wacca you are making an important point:

THERE ARE A LOT OF INTERESTING AND VALUABLE ARCHITECTURAL DETAILS AT THE LANDING THAT AT THE LEAST SHOULD BE SALVAGED.
All the large hanging lamps along the front are really nice and should be offered for sale or free prior to putting them in the landfill. And no doubt there are many more items within.

Any way to force this issue (salvage before demolition) on the COJ?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
I believe the demolition company gets to keep and profit off the salvageable material:

One way or another, the distinctive orange-colored metal roof covering the Jacksonville Landing will likely get a second life after a contractor starts demolishing the mall in a few months.

The $1 million demolition job is expected to start in the fall and finish by the end of the year, city spokeswoman Nikki Kimbleton said.

D.H. Griffin Wrecking Co. Inc., which won the contract to tear down the mall, has a long-standing practice to salvage materials when possible to avoid dumping them in a landfill.

The big metal roof panels, which have been shown in countless television broadcasts, would fit the bill for that kind of salvage. The metal probably would be sold as scrap rather than re-used as a roof.

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20190701/1-million-jacksonville-landing-demolition-set-for-fall

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

CityLife

The $1 million demolition job is expected to start in the fall and finish by the end of the year, city spokeswoman Nikki Kimbleton said.

Is this a demolition job or an extraction job? The German Army dismantled the Amber Room in only 2 days. Have imagine there is a lot of valuable materials at The Landing if the demolition timeline is that long and open ended.