Author Topic: Florida Times-Union: Don’t demolish the Landing before examining adaptive reuse  (Read 8732 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
LONG Term, it could be really cool:

- While thankfully even Curry backed off the "I'm moving the Jail now" thing, it's not far fetched to think in 7-10 years there could be legit progress on a new jail/replacement for the Police Memorial Building. That opens a few blocks up for development.
 - The surface parking lot next to Maxwell House could be developed.
 - Hopefully, something will happen with Berkman II
 - By then (again, 7-10 years), something will happen on the old courthouse site
 - Perhaps the east side of the shipyards would be developed or in work.
 - A greenway along Hogan's creek could link it to Confederate/Klutho Park

My point is, if you have a long term vision (and can actually work to make it happen), it actually could be an awesome public space.

Now, given that in 2019 we still don't understand the concept of density and clustering what I just typed is likely a pipe dream.

Charles Hunter

I know acreage always comes up when I mention this, but I continue to hear numerous people connected to the city that are convinced this greenspace insistence ties back to an eventual land swap of some sort with Met Park.

Curry addressed the rumor:

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/curry-metropolitan-park-not-headed-to-landing

Right. Because he has been so honest about other things "not on his radar", like selling JEA.

Charles Hunter

I think KenFSU's suggestion of the western part of the Shipyards is a good one. But, it must be developed as a park, and not as "flex space" that can becomes a parking lot for every Sports Complex event, and for the police station.

KenFSU

Fences are up around the Landing :(

Also, Peterbrooke relocated off of Laura Street.

One step forward...

blizz01

Side question, have Fionn MacCool's, Hooters, and/or Chicago Pizza made mention of future intentions - if any, downtown? 

avonjax

^Acreage might not be an issue if combined with the wasteland formerly known as city hall annex and the county courthouse. However, vibrancy will.

At yesterday's Urban Core CPAC meeting, a DIA representative shared that they will use a firm to professionally market the parcel for development nationally. He mentioned they've learned that not using a professional = bad results.

That's so reassuring especially with all the people stampeding to develop all the grassy lots in DT. I have no faith in this being developed for many many years if ever.

Charles Hunter

Rating criteria for the Landing RFP
Professional capability 10%
Financial Resources 10%
Design 2%
Contributions to Curry Campaign 78%

tufsu1

Also, Peterbrooke relocated off of Laura Street.

this was weird - they are now inside the lobby of the VyStar tower - past history has shown that retail without street frontage doesn't do well.

Hoping this is just a temporary move while VyStar updates the Life of the South building

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Hopefully they can survive. There is literally no reason for anyone to walk south of Bay Street right now to mistakenly discover a hidden candy shop.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
Unless something changed, Peterbrooke's move is temporary. VyStar previously stated Peterbrooke is moving back to 100 N Laura once they gut and renovate the first floor.

I'm pretty sure they also mentioned they wanted a second retail tenant, specifically a restaurant open for dinner/drinks.

If there is any group downtown that I think actually gets it, it's VyStar. I can't believe I'm saying that because they were the last local bank/credit union to even have a presence downtown I believe.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Yes, my comment was more about surviving losses associated with the hidden temporary location. I'm reminded how the construction of Hemming Plaza killed all the retail around it before its completion.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
Yes, my comment was more about surviving losses associated with the hidden temporary location. I'm reminded how the construction of Hemming Plaza killed all the retail around it before its completion.

I would absolutely hope that VyStar and Peterbrooke worked out some sort of deal understanding that their visibility is going to be trash for a little while. But your point is valid (case in point Candy Apple Cafe and Sweet Pete’s). Now I can’t speak for the inner circumstances (maybe them leaving was desired, I don’t know).

I feel like given this example is a deal between two private businesses and considering COJ’s track record on urban revitalization, likely the businesses get it more than COJ.

Wacca Pilatka

Re: Florida Times-Union: Don’t demolish the Landing
« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2019, 03:23:41 PM »
If anyone's interested in the saga of the Landing historical figure silhouettes, I'm in contact with the City Engineer's office to track down where they are and to see if it's still possible to donate them to Groundwork as intended.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Ken_FSU

I would absolutely hope that VyStar and Peterbrooke worked out some sort of deal understanding that their visibility is going to be trash for a little while. But your point is valid (case in point Candy Apple Cafe and Sweet Pete’s). Now I can’t speak for the inner circumstances (maybe them leaving was desired, I don’t know).

I feel like given this example is a deal between two private businesses and considering COJ’s track record on urban revitalization, likely the businesses get it more than COJ.

Was in the building today.

Here's the temporary space, in the back lobby.

Not great for visibility, obviously.

They're definitely moving back to the Laura Street location when construction is completely, and VyStar is apparently being super cooperative in the interim.

If you walk by the VyStar Tower, there's large Peterbrooke signage at all entrances to the building, and they've got lots of signage up on the 100 North Laura building as well.

Seems like a solid relationship.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
I would love, on a Monday morning, to make a trip to Jacksonville, and wait for the Mayor (Curry) to come in, speak to him as he's entering the building and wish him good morning, look him in the eye, then tell him, "Mayor, this is for the Landing and what you've done to it;" and then let out the most loud and hellish, primal scream that anyone has ever heard and will not want to hear again. And then thank him, shake his hand and walk away. I hate what he did to the landing. At least have a plan in place for the property before demolishing; what a pompous ass bum.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!