Author Topic: Florida Times-Union: Don’t demolish the Landing before examining adaptive reuse  (Read 7685 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Excellent editorial from the Florida Times-Union board today:

Friday Editorial: Don’t demolish the Landing before examining adaptive reuse

By Times-Union Editorial Board
Posted May 24, 2019 at 2:01 AM   
When it comes to old buildings, there should be no “one policy fits all” approach.

At one end of the scale are dilapidated structures that just need to be torn down because they have little worth saving and minimal historic importance; think of the old county courthouse and city hall (both of which were used up figuratively and literally).

At the other end of the scale are marvelous architectural gems that should be nurtured until they can be reinvented in some way.

Think of Snyder Memorial Church near Hemming Park or buildings with great structural integrity like the armory in Springfield near Hogans Creek; other good examples are the former Haydon Burns Library (now the Jessie Ball DuPont Center), the old Barnett Bank, the Laura Street Trio and the Ambassador Hotel.

And then there are buildings in the middle that require some evaluation and thought.

Like The Jacksonville Landing.

The Landing creates some deep feelings locally. The location is the icon, not the orange roof. While we’re not especially fond of the building, it has some nostalgic value.

Mayor Lenny Curry’s administration is on record as supporting demolition of the former structure. We’re not going to lead a crusade to save it, but we do support doing a thorough cost-benefit analysis of comparing adaptable reuse versus demolition.

What if the proposed uses for a new Landing could be provided by a major remodeling job that actually saves money for the taxpayers?

That happened when the old Civic Auditorium was converted into the Times-Union Center for the Performing Arts — and when the old Gator Bowl was converted into an NFL-ready football stadium.

Just such a proposal has been presented — with great detail — in a piece on the Jaxson website titled “Adaptive Reuse: An artists’ vision for the Landing.” It offers a compromise proposal with some demolition and mostly reuse; the concept has been successfully carried out in other former festival marketplaces around the country.

https://www.jacksonville.com/opinion/20190524/friday-editorial-dont-demolish-landing-before-examining-adaptive-reuse
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Disagree about city hall annex (Haydon Burns is literally the same architectural style) but I do agree with seriously vetting the numbers. Isn't the mayor an accountant? This should be easy for him.....right?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ken_FSU

The mayor's gonna mayor, but what really makes me kind of lose all hope is the 15-1 City Council vote in favor of demolition with no due dilligence, no replacement plan in place, and no revenue source identified for next steps (including a vote from the incoming head of the DIA). I think that's probably the most damning aspect of this entire story.

athomasson86

I think there's something shady politicking going on behind the scenes. It simply doesn't make sense to demolish The Landing. So, we can give financial reasons for why we shouldn't demolish it, we can give emotional reasons (nostalgia, sense of place, etc), we can even show that the majority of people don't want it demolished (at least not without a better replacement plan)... but it seems like it's still going to be demolished no matter what. As someone who has grown up here and loves seeing the Landing reflected on the St. John's at night, hearing about the unstoppable demolition of the Landing is extremely frustrating. 

Tacachale

• Administrator
Don’t give up hope just yet. Still time to contact the mayor and city council members. Public pressure has worked to fight recent moves like the sale of JEA and the JEA headquarters. And even if the Landing does come down, it’ll be harder for the leadership to push the next demolition through.

http://www.coj.net/mayor/contact-us

http://www.coj.net/city-council.aspx#digital_river_frame_1

Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

bl8jaxnative

"
we do support doing a thorough cost-benefit analysis of comparing adaptable reuse versus demolition.
"

Demo's going to cost less than $3million.  Adaptive reuse will cost in order of 30 to 130 times that.   

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Demo's going to cost less than $3million.

Not exactly. We don't even know if there's asbestos to address and the bank hasn't agreed to a lease buyout yet. Whatever the mayor's office thought they'd get out of the bank is certainly going up. Same goes for the demo costs.

Adaptive reuse will cost in order of 30 to 130 times that.

I don't think anyone would expect COJ to pay to revamp and reuse the building. This would be a private sector cost with great economic benefit on the downtown core. It would be no different from Vestcor coming along and asking COJ for land in LaVilla to build townhouses on or the Jags doing Lot J on COJ property. Demo in isolation for another wasteland does the exact opposite.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jagsdrew

Renowned architect I.M. Pei once said, we live in a disposable culture of designing and constructing buildings with the intention of destroying them. Preservation and reuse is how architecture is appreciated and how you grow vibrancy.
Twitter: @Jagsdrew

MusicMan

"Demo's going to cost less than $3million.  Adaptive reuse will cost in order of 30 to 130 times that. "

What the hell are you talking about?  $90 million to $390 million?  Please stop, your making yourself appear stupid.

Captain Zissou

Please stop, your making yourself appear stupid.

You're*

Kerry

Renowned architect I.M. Pei once said, we live in a disposable culture of designing and constructing buildings with the intention of destroying them. Preservation and reuse is how architecture is appreciated and how you grow vibrancy.
I.M. Pei might have said that but he sure didn't believe it.  He wholesale destroyed entire city blocks and often times replaced them with nothing more than giant courtyards.  Too bad he died before someone could kick him in the nuts.

Maybe he was talking about his Boston City Hall that is so universally hated that Harvard and MIT have an annual competition to design a replacement.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 09:35:37 AM by Kerry »
Third Place

avonjax

Not exactly. We don't even know if there's asbestos to address and the bank hasn't agreed to a lease buyout yet. Whatever the mayor's office thought they'd get out of the bank is certainly going up. Same goes for the demo costs.

I don't think anyone would expect COJ to pay to revamp and reuse the building. This would be a private sector cost with great economic benefit on the downtown core. It would be no different from Vestcor coming along and asking COJ for land in LaVilla to build townhouses on or the Jags doing Lot J on COJ property. Demo in isolation for another wasteland does the exact opposite.
Lakelander what stake does bl8jaxnative have in the demo? Does he own a demo company? I don't get his crazy claims.

tufsu1

Maybe he was talking about his Boston City Hall that is so universally hated that Harvard and MIT have an annual competition to design a replacement.

Just curious - was it hated when built...and are you referring to the building, the plaza, or both?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities

Lakelander what stake does bl8jaxnative have in the demo? Does he own a demo company? I don't get his crazy claims.
I don't get it either. I'd love to hear his alternative vision for the property after demo, his thoughts on how much it will cost to implement and how it will benefit downtown economically.

Kerry

Just curious - was it hated when built...and are you referring to the building, the plaza, or both?

It depends on who you ask.  The general public hated it from day one.  The architecture community gave him an award.

Just for fun...

https://www.citylab.com/design/2019/05/revisiting-im-pei-plan-oklahoma-city-urban-renewal-architecture/589666/?utm_source=newsletter&silverid=%25%25RECIPIENT_ID%25%25&utm_campaign=citylab-daily-newsletter&utm_medium=email
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 06:14:23 PM by Kerry »
Third Place