Author Topic: Boyer to be new DIA CEO  (Read 1839 times)

Bill Hoff

Re: Boyer to be new DIA CEO
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 08:18:03 AM »
I see Lenny and CM Garrett Dennis are trading insults over this on twitter: https://twitter.com/NateMonroeTU/status/1136727467178283010

It disturbs me that some of our civic leaders so frequently get in arguments on social media. I may be in the minority, but I see statesmanship as a positive.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 08:20:10 AM by Bill Hoff »

CityLife

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 08:25:49 AM »
This was just a procedural error and likely done with no malice, just incompetence. That said, they will have to re-vote and now that everyone knows how the original vote went, some gamesmenship could be used. All it takes is a member or two to give their preferred candidate max points and drop Boyer's point total. The original margin was slim; Boyer had a total of 356/400 and Flisram had 346/400. I doubt anyone would actually do that, but if so what a debacle it would be.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 09:11:36 AM »
I don’t get how there’s not a city attorney present for something like this advising the board of what is allowed and not allowed.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2019, 09:14:37 AM »
I don’t get how there’s not a city attorney present for something like this advising the board of what is allowed and not allowed.

There was.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2019, 09:26:49 AM »

There was.

Then that’s REALLY bad. I don’t expect all of the board member to know sunshine laws. I expect the lawyer though.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2019, 09:45:58 AM »
I see Lenny and CM Garrett Dennis are trading insults over this on twitter: https://twitter.com/NateMonroeTU/status/1136727467178283010

It disturbs me that some of our civic leaders so frequently get in arguments on social media. I may be in the minority, but I see statesmanship as a positive.

Definitely agree here. Curry generally calls twitter and social media a sewer. He could be right but he's swimming all in it and it doesn't look good.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2019, 09:51:18 AM »
Some would argue that politics in itself is a sewer. 

vicupstate

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2019, 10:10:13 AM »
Some would argue that politics in itself is a sewer. 

Indeed. Just as water is wet.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Kerry

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2019, 12:07:47 PM »
A revote will be interesting.  $100 says the scores will be different on re-vote.  If I was one of the two losing candidates and I won the second time around I think I would just pass.
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 01:07:13 PM »
Brian Hughes is now saying that the decision to hire was done by voice vote versus secret ballot. If so this is lunacy. Are we to believe that a vote that was this close on paper, and they did the whole, “The Ayes Have It” thing?

Sometimes you need to “put the shovel down” and stop digging.

itsfantastic1

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2019, 01:29:34 PM »
I'm starting to think we don't have the sharpest general council either...

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2019, 01:40:07 PM »
I'm starting to think we don't have the sharpest general council either...

Usually in most meetings that I've seen, whenever something like this comes up (a key vote, etc.), the AGC that's present usually briefs the board on the procedure and key laws so this sort of thing doesn't happen.

Frankly, I think everyone involved shares some of the blame (AGC first, then the board and Hughes second). This is basic stuff.

Kerry

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2019, 03:21:30 PM »
Brian Hughes is now saying that the decision to hire was done by voice vote versus secret ballot. If so this is lunacy. Are we to believe that a vote that was this close on paper, and they did the whole, “The Ayes Have It” thing?

A voice vote in 3-way race where you can give each candidate an individual score?  How would that vote even be conducted.  Aren't these meetings recorded, and if so, lets hear the vote.
Third Place

Charles Hunter

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2019, 03:28:15 PM »

A voice vote in 3-way race where you can give each candidate an individual score?  How would that vote even be conducted.  Aren't these meetings recorded, and if so, lets hear the vote.

Oh Nooo! There's an 18 1/2 minute gap in the tape!!!

Kerry

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2019, 05:37:33 PM »

Oh Nooo! There's an 18 1/2 minute gap in the tape!!!

LOL.  Don't be surprised.
Third Place