Author Topic: Boyer to be new DIA CEO  (Read 558 times)

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
Re: Boyer to be new DIA CEO
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 08:12:44 PM »
Could this be "promising" good news? I like her proposed vision for downtown.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

MusicMan

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 09:32:04 PM »
What's her plan for The Landing?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 09:36:13 PM »
What's her plan for The Landing?

Whatever the mayor tells her it is.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 10:05:34 PM »
I hope we get first term Boyer and not second term Boyer on the job. Wait....did she have a second term? Hard to tell.

tufsu1

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 10:34:38 PM »
^ in the past 4 years, she has led the following:

- designating a trail connecting through Baptist and into San Marco
- working on waterfront activation citywide
- rewriting the downtown zoning code

oh yeah, and she served as Council President two years ago

Alex Sifakis

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 11:52:05 PM »
Boyer will be amazing for downtown.  She is brilliant, understands how important good design is, works her ass off, and is incredibility passionate.  And she knows how the city works, which is no small thing in Jax.  Big win.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 07:31:40 AM »

She was also key in having the Emerald Trail plan formally adopted by COJ.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 07:38:31 AM »

Amazing.

I would be in awe if it wasn't for becoming Curry's lapdog and being complicit in screwing Jax taxpayers royally.

But, in the future, when I am sitting at the billion dollar friendship fountain gazing at a character display, I am sure I will be oohing and ahhing and have forgotten all about such trivial matters.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 09:32:24 AM »
My thought (since you asked):

I think Boyer will do a good job overall, within the confines that she can. Her challenge: Curry is going to do whatever he thinks is good for Khan. That isn't changing. So, how does she thrive in this role with that obstacle?

CityLife

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 09:47:15 AM »
This is a pretty huge hoop to jump through for two years.

"An opinion issued in April from the Florida Commission of Ethics says a former City Council member is not allowed to represent a group or the city’s interests before the council for two years following their term.

In her interview, she said DIA staff would be used to address the City Council for routine issues, while an outside lobbyist could be hired to represent DIA interests with elected officials for larger development deals."

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/boyer-selected-as-next-downtown-investment-authority-ceo

While Boyer is sharp, has vision, and knows the lay of the land locally; she has no experience running a Downtown Development agency and presumably has minimal development connections outside of Jacksonville. The DIA is going to need a strong number 2. Hopefully, Boyer and co will look for a rising talent from outside of Jacksonville. Ideally someone from Orlando, WPB, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, or Tampa's downtown agencies; or even someone from Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, etc.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 10:18:44 AM »
This is a pretty huge hoop to jump through for two years.

"An opinion issued in April from the Florida Commission of Ethics says a former City Council member is not allowed to represent a group or the city’s interests before the council for two years following their term.

In her interview, she said DIA staff would be used to address the City Council for routine issues, while an outside lobbyist could be hired to represent DIA interests with elected officials for larger development deals."

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/boyer-selected-as-next-downtown-investment-authority-ceo

While Boyer is sharp, has vision, and knows the lay of the land locally; she has no experience running a Downtown Development agency and presumably has minimal development connections outside of Jacksonville. The DIA is going to need a strong number 2. Hopefully, Boyer and co will look for a rising talent from outside of Jacksonville. Ideally someone from Orlando, WPB, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, or Tampa's downtown agencies; or even someone from Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, etc.

Here's the way I look at it: Yes, that's a PITA for two years, but not much more than a PITA. It isn't insurmountable.

In terms of connections outside of the city, right now that to me isn't holding Jacksonville back. The biggest thing holding downtown back is the bullcrap that happens IN the city. I like the idea of a local person who knows how to wade through the bullcrap. Plus, it's not like Aundra Wallace (who came from the outside and seemed to do a pretty good job - he effectively got promoted so obviously people thought he did a good job) is hard to reach - if she needs to get an outside perspective I'm confident he'll answer her phone call.

Overall Boyer seems to be viewed pretty positively by both the city and by the constituents. That isn't easy to do.