Author Topic: Sleiman moves fast...buys Lakewood shopping center  (Read 1257 times)

MusicMan

Re: Sleiman moves fast...buys Lakewood shopping center
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 04:30:37 PM »
I went to that store out of curiosity this morning. It was looking pretty damn good. It's huge, has some features the Publix at St Aug does not (i.e. olive bar, ...), and the employees appeared to be taking pride in it. It IN NO WAY looked liked the Harvey's over in Downtown. I recommend folks saying how awful it is to go check it out. I was pleasantly surprised.   

Snaketoz

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 05:09:41 PM »
I happen to like Winn-Dixie.  We often drive by the closest Publix to go to Winn-Dixie.  The Publix has a slight edge in the produce department, and has a better deli, but everything else is better at W-D.  I would love to have a Trader Joes nearby.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 09:27:07 PM »
FYI, Lakewood use to host two other grocery stores.  A&P used to be in the old Cruisers (now Anytime Fitness) location decades ago and a Clarks/Banner store was at the eastern most end of the stores along the north side of University Blvd.

Rosenblums, French Novelty, Walgreens, McCrory's, Dipper Dans, Toy Parade, Dobb's House, American Federal Savings & Loan, Jax Liquors, Lakewood Pharmacy, Edwards Men's Shop are just a few of the stores past that used to inhabit this shopping center.

Pictures below mostly circa 1959 from the Florida State archives.

billy

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2019, 11:31:31 AM »
There was a barber shop near the pharmacy,
and maybe a Greyhound stop for a while at the southeast intersection?

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 12:35:52 PM »
There was a barber shop near the pharmacy,
and maybe a Greyhound stop for a while at the southeast intersection?
Billy, I recall both as you do.  There actually was a gas station on the southeast corner of University and San Jose that I believe may have doubled as the Greyhound stop.  That spot is now partially a turn lane from San Jose to University Blvd. and a patch of green behind the bagel store.  It's the Sunoco station in the far left of the last picture in my 5/10/19 post above.