Author Topic: Mayors Office: It's Time To Move Forward With Demolishing Landing  (Read 5141 times)

bl8jaxnative

Re: Mayors Office: It's Time To Move Forward With Demolishing Landing
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2019, 10:28:27 AM »
Keep in mind that history is written by the victor.   We've got a bit of that going on in these situations.   The area is a success so people talk about it.  Because people talk about it, more know that it's a success.  The more they know, the more they talk about it, et al. 

Of course those politicians behind it take part it in.  They want to claim success.  And they do deserve some accolades. 

I don't mean to disparage it all.

Just keep in mind that in a lot of cases these areas were already turning around.   That area between the CBD and the old Union Station was already rebounding.  Some would argue it was never that bad.   Whatever exactly it was, it wasn't hell's kitchen or Cabrini green.  It wasn't great but not horrible.

Some of the reason the Kemp Center built there was location, next to the CBD, and some was that there were already improvements and momentum.  The same with the power and light formal district.

There's some chicken and egg stuff going on.  Some of the decision makers are just following the money and momentum.  And then some of the momentum and the money follows the decisions.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2019, 10:34:43 AM »

And don't forget, this is all swinging for the fences, going for home runs on #KCMO's part.  The city's sunk hundreds of millions into the neighborhood. 

Not amazingly when you spend big money, on occasion you'll hit a home run.  That home run though right now is costing KC taxpayers more than $15M each and every year. 

Maybe in the end it'll pay off.  They've got at least one shiny new condo building on the skyline that's come out of it.  But we wouldn't be talking about it so much if they had made a big gamble and it failed.     

And for those keen on Strongtown's, you know what they have to say about these big gamle's like KC's power and light district.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2019, 09:39:10 AM »
Wow, even the COJ doesn't really care about doing this right:

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/lack-of-jacksonville-landing-asbestos-survey-surprises-demolition-contractors

In a mandatory prebid meeting at 10 a.m. in the Ed Ball Building, Landing project engineer Nikita Reed told contractors the selected bidder would be responsible for providing the survey from a licensed, accredited asbestos professional.

Reed said an environmental site assessment was conducted on the Landing property prior to the release of the Landing demolition specifications last week.

“You should assume that you will have to determine if any asbestos or any other hazardous material — any lead paint, anything like that” is at the site, Reed said.

“We did not do a full environmental survey for the hazardous materials.”

One contractor in the packed boardroom said it’s atypical for contractors to perform their own asbestos surveys before demolition and is usually is the role of the building owner.

“It’s collusion,” another contractor said. “I could pay someone I know to say, ‘Hey, give me a clean report,’ versus an independent third party that’s neutral.”

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2019, 10:48:05 AM »

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/lack-of-jacksonville-landing-asbestos-survey-surprises-demolition-contractors

In a mandatory prebid meeting at 10 a.m. in the Ed Ball Building, Landing project engineer Nikita Reed told contractors the selected bidder would be responsible for providing the survey from a licensed, accredited asbestos professional.

Reed said an environmental site assessment was conducted on the Landing property prior to the release of the Landing demolition specifications last week.

“You should assume that you will have to determine if any asbestos or any other hazardous material — any lead paint, anything like that” is at the site, Reed said.

One contractor in the packed boardroom said it’s atypical for contractors to perform their own asbestos surveys before demolition and is usually is the role of the building owner.

“It’s collusion,” another contractor said. “I could pay someone I know to say, ‘Hey, give me a clean report,’ versus an independent third party that’s neutral.”

Something is rotten in the city of Jacksonville...
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

itsfantastic1

« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2019, 10:57:56 AM »
It'd be hilarious if all the demo companies decided all these phased demo restrictions and shady dealings weren't worth it. Obviously someone will, but it'd be great if even the demo companies wanted nothing to do with this poorly thought out rush job.

I'd like to imagine Lenny Curry and Brian Hughes would then grab sledge hammers and do it themselves...

Bill Hoff

« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2019, 03:16:02 PM »

Something is rotten in the city of Jacksonville...

You don't understand! Time is of the essence! Damn the required "environmental surveys" and such. That's just a stalling tactic for liberals who hate men of action! This building needs to be torn down ASAP! My God man, it's OUT OF DATE! IT! Can't you see the urgency!?!? DEMO NOW OR ELSE!*

*else = time for a rationale process

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:05:29 PM by Bill Hoff »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2019, 03:44:52 PM »
#winning
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

avonjax

« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2019, 05:13:30 PM »
Can someone, anyone tell me why Curry is so dead set on demolishing the Landing? His legacy will be harsh when his butt leaves office. None of this makes sense to me.