Author Topic: Mayors Office: It's Time To Move Forward With Demolishing Landing  (Read 5143 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
The comments in this article come across as very immature, vision-less and so silly its sad that this isn't April Fools Day. Evidently public engagement is out and there's no real plan or timeline for anything other than demolition of a perfectly fine asset in the middle of a downtown that you can role a bowling ball down four blocks from Hemming to the Landing and not hit anything in the process.

“To get public input is genuinely unnecessary because we’ve been there and done that.”

Wow.

Hughes said “there’s not necessarily a pot of money” that has been set aside for the Landing property once demolition is completed.

So we are looking at a homeless hangout for the foreseeable future.

He also maintains that an idea floated over the years to open up the center of the Landing isn’t realistic.

“The exact numbers, you know, aren’t in hand, but it's cost prohibitive. And more importantly, it defies reason. The structure was not designed to be anything more than the simplest steel and concrete construction for the purpose of housing a 1980s-style shopping mall,” said Hughes in response to the idea.

Full article: https://news.wjct.org/post/mayor-s-office-its-time-move-forward-demolishing-jacksonville-landing#_ga=2.211867920.589230317.1556651318-129271083.1530834732

That last quote sounds like it came from someone with absolutely zero experience in the world of architecture, building design, adaptive reuse and construction. Pretty crazy to see how a peer city like Nashville looked so great for the NFL Draft after years of logical revitalization practices, only to read stuff like this in regards to your own city's deconstruction. However, what's worse? The blind leading the blind or the those who know better, but sitting back and being quiet about it?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 03:52:14 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

Re: Mayors Office: It's Time To Move Forward With Demolishing Landing
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 04:14:01 PM »
However, what's worse? The blind leading the blind or the those who know better, but sitting back and being quiet about it?

I would say the former, because the latter are likely being threatened to keep their mouth shut.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 04:18:46 PM »
There is only one reason you'd commit to demolishing the Landing before there's a plan (let alone funding) to replace it. That's if you don't actually want to be committed to building the replacement, and are planning on it sitting as an empty lot indefinitely.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 04:20:44 PM »
It just all seems so silly. It's like the goal is to keep demolition companies in business moreso than revitalizing downtown. $22 million in public money with grass as the result? A 50% vacant Landing with $22 million in public money being used elsewhere is better, yet we're in a weird era in time where people think vacant lots and no plan equal progress.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 04:25:03 PM »
Hans Strauch, the original architect of The Jacksonville Landing, asked last week, “Who in their right mind would spend $15 million to demolish something and have no economic recovery in place?”

Pretty Much.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

avonjax

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 06:51:30 PM »
Curry is an idiot with no vision for the city. He was the worst candidate for Mayor and now he has 4 more years to demolish what's left. I have given up. Nice things are happening but we continue to level downtown with absolutely no plan for the future on these sites. Let's cancel the idea of a convention center again. Mark my words the Berkman II site, the Landing site and the Annex and Courthouse site will be weed ridden empty lots for decades. My faith in downtown Jax is gone. Can't blame anyone for the explosion of the 'burbs like St John's Town and other sites near there. At least they are alive after 5. I have watched the decline for 50 years now and every time things appear to be going forward a mayor like Curry comes along and takes us back. When the Landing goes it will be the nail in the coffin for me.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 07:37:57 PM »
The comments in this article come across as very immature, vision-less and so silly its sad that this isn't April Fools Day. Evidently public engagement is out and there's no real plan or timeline for anything other than demolition of a perfectly fine asset in the middle of a downtown that you can role a bowling ball down four blocks from Hemming to the Landing and not hit anything in the process.

“To get public input is genuinely unnecessary because we’ve been there and done that.”

Wow.

Hughes said “there’s not necessarily a pot of money” that has been set aside for the Landing property once demolition is completed.

So we are looking at a homeless hangout for the foreseeable future.

He also maintains that an idea floated over the years to open up the center of the Landing isn’t realistic.

“The exact numbers, you know, aren’t in hand, but it's cost prohibitive. And more importantly, it defies reason. The structure was not designed to be anything more than the simplest steel and concrete construction for the purpose of housing a 1980s-style shopping mall,” said Hughes in response to the idea.

Full article: https://news.wjct.org/post/mayor-s-office-its-time-move-forward-demolishing-jacksonville-landing#_ga=2.211867920.589230317.1556651318-129271083.1530834732

That last quote sounds like it came from someone with absolutely zero experience in the world of architecture, building design, adaptive reuse and construction. Pretty crazy to see how a peer city like Nashville looked so great for the NFL Draft after years of logical revitalization practices, only to read stuff like this in regards to your own city's deconstruction. However, what's worse? The blind leading the blind or the those who know better, but sitting back and being quiet about it?

With behavior like this, our leaders are showing that Jacksonville is not a world class city, or even a great city on a national scale (despite a population just shy of 1 million). Jax does not deserve the Jacksonville Jaquars, in my opinion; not because of the people and citizens, but because of inept, rudderless leadership that just doesn't have a clue. At one time in the not too distant past, it seemed like Curry and Co. were on the right track...it was a ruse to say the least. It's not the fact that if they demolish the Landing the homeless, and others will frequent and camp there, that's not the point or fact (that may very well happen); but it's clueless, idiotic, and misfit leadership that don't see the forest for the trees and don't deserve to be in leadership positions within city government...and that includes the Mayor. What I just read is just plain stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid is that stupid does. They will not learn from the mistakes of the city's past and history from previous city leaders who held Jacksonville back which resulted in how downtown, and the city as a whole has turned out at present (parking lots, parking lots, parking lots and with the citizens having a huge inferiority complex).....and as a third or fourth rate city despite a population of almost a million. I feel so bad for Jacksonville right now because she could be so much more than what she is.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 07:46:00 PM »
It just all seems so silly. It's like the goal is to keep demolition companies in business moreso than revitalizing downtown. $22 million in public money with grass as the result? A 50% vacant Landing with $22 million in public money being used elsewhere is better, yet we're in a weird era in time where people think vacant lots and no plan equal progress.
While the other major Florida cities have cranes, cranes, and more cranes gracing their downtown skies, along with towers reaching the skies under construction, proposed and on the drawing boards, Jax's big news for its downtown is implosion, explosions, and empty parking lots with a boarded up downtown at night after 5 o'clock. Even Sarasota, a city of 60,000, has several new towers proposed and under construction which I can count on four hands. When is this madness going to stop? Probably never. Shad Khan won't put up with this for too much longer either. I see the Jags, and I hope I am wrong, up and moving to Orlando one day. Orlando is on the move. Miami and Tampa are popping big time and have pro football teams in vibrant and "on the move cities" and their downtowns are burgeoning; Jax just keeps regressing, with no reason for it, thanks to City Leaders, to even have a national professional football team. I hope something changes soon.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 07:48:00 PM by heights unknown »
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 07:49:01 PM »
I don’t get it at all. It hurts nothing to issue an RFP with the site as is.

Maybe the best proposal is a demolition of the Landing. If so then fine. Personally, I’m indifferent to keeping the building. I just think the vacant lot thing makes no sense.

KenFSU

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 08:09:34 PM »
Staggering amount of horseshit on display here.

Amazing that for every step forward the private sector makes downtown, the city comes along and finds a way to take two giant leaps back.

It would almost be funny if it wasn't so fucking sad.

Kerry

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 11:31:09 PM »
You guys know this all for the Jags right?  Lot J can be the only game in town and with no Lot J there is no Jags.

I was in Greenville, SC last week.  I wish I could move there right now.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 11:42:55 PM »
Minus the local media fluff pieces, Lot J is so insignificant in the grand scheme of things that redevelopment can be allowed to happen in other areas as well. We should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 07:54:02 AM »

I was in Greenville, SC last week.  I wish I could move there right now.

Just in case anyone needed an example of grooving a batting practice fastball over the heart of the plate. This is it.

pierre

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 08:41:38 AM »
This quote is, at the same, hilarious and sad.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 08:51:59 AM »
They could really use someone more polished and professionally educated with these types of issues to handle media.  Even if you're in and over your head, there are much better ways to promote your position.