Author Topic: Brightline Finds Funds For Massive Florida Expansion  (Read 2223 times)

bl8jaxnative

Re: Brightline Finds Funds For Massive Florida Expansion
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 03:06:23 PM »
Well, now we know what Branson was bringing to the game.  IIRC something like 32 investors have committed to buying $1.75B in those Florida state bonds for Virgin Trains USA.  They've failed hard at raising money before this.   Branson's saved the venture.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 05:33:45 PM »
Can y'all help me out with a few questions? TIA!

1) Did Brightline have to upgrade the entire rail line for its passenger service? Or were there any portions that were usable.
2) Will freight service continue to operate on shared track?
3) Did they have to acquire land (whether purchase or swap) at their three current stations or did they already own it?

Thanks again. Just want to confirm my info.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 05:44:38 PM »
1. In South Florida most of the line was double tracked to increase capacity.

2. Freight still uses the tracks.

3. While they already owned most of the land in Miami, they did buy property in FTL and WPB for station and TOD development.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 12:50:40 AM »
Thanks Lake! So the fact that they had operational track allowed them to save money on construction?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 05:52:45 AM »
Yes. Operational track, bridges, ROW, etc. helped save a lot of time and money on the FEC stretch that they won't have on the Orlando and Tampa segments.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

MusicMan

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 11:12:32 AM »
My brother in law was just named Director of Media Relations and Corporate Affairs for Brightline/Virgin Trains USA. He starts Monday.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2019, 11:33:51 AM »
My brother in law was just named Director of Media Relations and Corporate Affairs for Brightline/Virgin Trains USA. He starts Monday.

We expect you, by Tuesday, to post his email addresses (work and personal), daytime and evening numbers, and all Social Media accounts. We need to be able to contact this person 24x7x365 at our leisure to ask questions.

Joking aside, that’s really cool and as he has public things to share I think everyone would love to be in the know!

MusicMan

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2019, 12:34:20 PM »
He actually did their PR work prior to Branson coming on board through Lou Hammond Group. I have ridden the train as his guest. It's damn nice and with serious underwriting now it will, IMO, succeed. I'll keep you posted about anything heading in this direction best I can.

Pottsburg

• Always Carry Always Conceal
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2019, 08:54:50 AM »
Just because they used FEC track didn’t mean there was a huge cost savings. They had to upgrade everything and I mean everything. PTC upgrades and things like drawbridge upgrades are very costly. That stretch between cocoa and Orlando is mostly on virgin land, they should be able to rip and run which would take a lot less time. We will see, they learned a lot from the first phase.  They still aren’t finished in south Florida
Forza Napoli!  EPL has nothing on the Serie A

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2019, 09:18:35 AM »
Cost savings would be pretty significant in the area of R/W related issues in getting from FEC owned R/W to Orlando and eventually Tampa.

Pottsburg

• Always Carry Always Conceal
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2019, 10:04:06 PM »
Cost savings would be pretty significant in the area of R/W related issues in getting from FEC owned R/W to Orlando and eventually Tampa.

They are going to have to dump a lot of dirt on the line over to Orlando mostly swamp and building trestles bridges isn’t cheap
Forza Napoli!  EPL has nothing on the Serie A

Charles Hunter

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2019, 10:55:18 PM »
With the Trump Dept. of the Interior, Curry could probably propose swapping the Main Street (soon to be) Dog Park for Metro Park and get approval.  Throw in some Manatee Shooting kiosks, and he'd have a Sure Winner.