Author Topic: JEA Selects Downtown For New Corporate Headquarters  (Read 9406 times)

vicupstate

Re: JEA Selects Downtown For New Corporate Headquarters
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2019, 01:13:42 PM »
I am real fuzzy on this, but isn't the attendance at First Baptist much lower than it was a decade or two back, like thousands less?  If so, I doubt they would have a llegit use for more property. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2019, 01:44:01 PM »
I am real fuzzy on this, but isn't the attendance at First Baptist much lower than it was a decade or two back, like thousands less?  If so, I doubt they would have a llegit use for more property.

Well, FBC's reported membership was much lower several years ago than the numbers they stated historically, but that was at least in part to just keeping their records updated so they weren't counting so many people who no longer attended. But I imagine they're like most churches in seeing a decline in attendance overall, as Ennis said, folks aren't going to church like they used to.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2019, 10:13:15 PM »
Regarding FBC, in 80's, and 90's attendance was crazy silly. I think after Homer and his Son passed is when attendance began to suffer. If this is the case and attendance is thousands less than decades ago, they need to free up some of those properties.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

edjax

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2019, 05:05:58 PM »
I saw where the City has to put out this property out to bid.  So.........what if Iguana places a higher bid than Ryan. Does the city have to accept the highest bid?  Seems like Iguana could halt it and then when the decision was made on Ryan it stated if,they could not close on the land then the next highest scorer which would be Lot J would enter into negotiations.  Ok. Shad conspiracy theorist go..........

Papa33

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2019, 09:22:22 AM »
TU Article mentions that the City bought this property originally in the hopes that it would be the site of the 1st DCA Annex/Jacksonville office.  Anyone know what happened?  Does the 1st DCA have space that is uses in the courthouse?

Kerry

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 09:34:24 AM »
I saw where the City has to put out this property out to bid.  So.........what if Iguana places a higher bid than Ryan. Does the city have to accept the highest bid?  Seems like Iguana could halt it and then when the decision was made on Ryan it stated if,they could not close on the land then the next highest scorer which would be Lot J would enter into negotiations.  Ok. Shad conspiracy theorist go..........

No worries, Khan would need a hand out from the City before he spent any of his own money.
Third Place

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2019, 07:56:11 AM »
I don't know that it is all the complicated but at the root is land availability and location.  Downtown has lots of vacant land and no demand.  That isn't a combination that supports higher prices.  In fact, demand is so low downtown that the City has decided vacant land is more valuable than improved land (see Court House annex and Landing).  Plus, surface parking provides lots of revenue with little expenses since we tax improvements and not the land itself for the most part.  Tax the surface parking space as if it was a 10'X20' improved piece of ground and you would get a whole different urban landscape.

If you are on Facebook I recommend joining the group The Shoupistas.  The group is named after Donald Shoup who is an Urban Planning professor at UCLA and one of the worlds leading experts on parking and associated land use.  He also has a ton of videos on YouTube.

On edit - let me add that the City itself is the main culprit in this problem.  If the City had better mass transit and removed required parking minimums much less space would be needed for parking.  Oklahoma City removed parking minimum several years ago (as many cities have already done) and implemented a streetcar system (also as many other cities have done).  Since then, several new residential buildings have opened that either only have 1 parking space per unit or no parking spaces at all.  That makes projects that were financial unviable before now make financial sense.

In the documentary Urbanized former Bogota Mayor Enrique Penalosa addressed the question of where people were supposed to park when he got rid of most of the parking in downtown Bogota.  He said your car is a private good.  If you want to own one you figure out where to park it.  It wasn't the City's job to provide you parking space any more so than it was the City's job to provide you a place to hang your clothes.  The City invest public funds in public transportation - which is a huge difference than here in the US where we invest almost all public transportation funds in private transportation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZE3ClCA1m4
Thanks Kerry; got it. It seems Jax (Mayor's Office and DIA) are bent on "DEMOLISH IT AND THEY WILL COME." LOL.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

Kerry

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2019, 09:56:13 AM »
I don't know that it is all the complicated but at the root is land availability and location.  Downtown has lots of vacant land and no demand.  That isn't a combination that supports higher prices.  In fact, demand is so low downtown that the City has decided vacant land is more valuable than improved land (see Court House annex and Landing).  Plus, surface parking provides lots of revenue with little expenses since we tax improvements and not the land itself for the most part.  Tax the surface parking space as if it was a 10'X20' improved piece of ground and you would get a whole different urban landscape.

If you are on Facebook I recommend joining the group The Shoupistas.  The group is named after Donald Shoup who is an Urban Planning professor at UCLA and one of the worlds leading experts on parking and associated land use.  He also has a ton of videos on YouTube.

On edit - let me add that the City itself is the main culprit in this problem.  If the City had better mass transit and removed required parking minimums much less space would be needed for parking.  Oklahoma City removed parking minimum several years ago (as many cities have already done) and implemented a streetcar system (also as many other cities have done).  Since then, several new residential buildings have opened that either only have 1 parking space per unit or no parking spaces at all.  That makes projects that were financial unviable before now make financial sense.

In the documentary Urbanized former Bogota Mayor Enrique Penalosa addressed the question of where people were supposed to park when he got rid of most of the parking in downtown Bogota.  He said your car is a private good.  If you want to own one you figure out where to park it.  It wasn't the City's job to provide you parking space any more so than it was the City's job to provide you a place to hang your clothes.  The City invest public funds in public transportation - which is a huge difference than here in the US where we invest almost all public transportation funds in private transportation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZE3ClCA1m4
Thanks Kerry; got it. It seems Jax (Mayor's Office and DIA) are bent on "DEMOLISH IT AND THEY WILL COME." LOL.

I just finished the book Boom Town by Sam Anderson and there were a couple of chapters dealing with idea of, "Demolish it and they will come" and how it fails miserably.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:59:46 AM by Kerry »
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2019, 10:28:44 AM »
Update:

DIA accepts Ryan Companies' $2.6 million bid to buy new JEA HQ site
https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/jia-accepts-ryan-companies-dollar2-6-million-bid-to-buy-new-jea-hq-site

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2019, 01:48:42 PM »
Update:

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/jia-accepts-ryan-companies-dollar2-6-million-bid-to-buy-new-jea-hq-site

Lord I'd hope so. They offered $300k more than the appraised value and there were no other bidders. Wondering if they paid $300k more as insurance so others wouldn't bid then they'd have a mess on their hands.

KenFSU

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2019, 01:51:42 PM »
Update:

Per the Daily Record, it was actually the JIA.

A little far for the new terminal, but whatever  :o

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2019, 03:25:46 PM »
Update:

Per the Daily Record, it was actually the JIA.

A little far for the new terminal, but whatever  :o

I (shamefully) actually got confused by that for a sec (don't judge). Obviously I know where the airport is, but I seriously went down the rabbit hole in my head (The airport used to be managed by the Port Authority, did they somehow have an office downtown and were holding on to the land for some stupid reason, etc.)

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2019, 09:42:33 AM »
BTW, random thought: how much of the cost for JEA to renovate the Universal-Marion building was because they can't just shut down operations while they do it? Similar to road construction, if you could have closed I-95 during the entire Overland Bridge project, it would have gone much faster.

In other words, do we have any idea (yet) what it would cost a private developer to renovate the building so it could be reused (offices/apartments/etc.)?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2019, 10:51:27 AM »
I doubt it but I'd bet whatever the number is, it would be cheaper than demolishing the structure and building the same amount of square footage and parking on the site from scratch. As long as this building goes into private hands, reuse will be fully vetted. It's when things fall into COJ's hands, with people making decisions with other's money (ex. tax money) is where politics get into pay at the expense of actual market feasibility.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2019, 11:29:39 AM »
I doubt it but I'd bet whatever the number is, it would be cheaper than demolishing the structure and building the same amount of square footage and parking on the site from scratch. As long as this building goes into private hands, reuse will be fully vetted. It's when things fall into COJ's hands, with people making decisions with other's money (ex. tax money) is where politics get into pay at the expense of actual market feasibility.

To confirm, now that Ryan Companies is buying the lot for the new building, the "land swap" thing that was discussed a while back is off right? In other words, JEA could do the right thing and just RFP the existing building right?