Author Topic: JEA Selects Downtown For New Corporate Headquarters  (Read 8598 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: JEA Selects Downtown For New Corporate Headquarters
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 12:19:59 PM »
Is that Steve Atkins proposal still a possibility for the current tower?

Unless someone says it's not, I suppose so. Sounds like now JEA will attempt (properly) to sell the place as-is so if Atkins is still interested he could bid, but if I remember right he was going to demo the tower.

While I certainly don't question the man's drive, I do have to question if he has the capital for this. Let's not forget, while he's the driver and the champion for the Barnett and Laura Trio, he isn't (at least not the majority of) the wallet.

If Steve Atkins had 10% of Shad Khan's money, Downtown would be an amazing place.

itsfantastic1

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 12:31:10 PM »
Is that Steve Atkins proposal still a possibility for the current tower?

Unless someone says it's not, I suppose so. Sounds like now JEA will attempt (properly) to sell the place as-is so if Atkins is still interested he could bid, but if I remember right he was going to demo the tower.

While I certainly don't question the man's drive, I do have to question if he has the capital for this. Let's not forget, while he's the driver and the champion for the Barnett and Laura Trio, he isn't (at least not the majority of) the wallet.

If Steve Atkins had 10% of Shad Khan's money, Downtown would be an amazing place.

This was my understanding too that he was going to demolish the JEA tower. I wonder though if that was just to accomidate JEA and their demands for the site. It would be interesting if he could pull a Barnett-style renovation and he doesn't even need to build another garage as there is one below it and that would be a great feature for residental or a dedicated commercial tenant. However I also agree that he's not really the wallet, but I do think a good idea pitch to him with his passion and relentlessness may make some money come on board.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 12:36:28 PM »
There's also the current JEA garage across Church St from the current tower. I have to image they'll sell that too, as well as an additional lot across Main Street.

It's actually a TON of property in the core

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 01:54:44 PM »
That Atkins proposal would certainly change since it was tailored to the needs of JEA and included a new tower designed to their specifications. That's out the window now.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxjags

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 02:12:47 PM »
These are all good ideas, but lets see if he can just get The Trio started and done.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 02:40:27 PM »
Thanks, all.  It's tax season, and I'm sleepy and forget stuff
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 03:01:25 PM »
Decided to remain Downtown as if the stadium area is on the SS or something lol. The design is bland and boring, not what you would expect for a corporate headquarters. JMO (Should have built on top of the parking garage. 
I agree Keith, and when I saw that building, that's the first thought that came to mind: "Why don't they put the offices on top of the parking garage?" Our city, our leaders, our people seem to be so scared to scrape the clouds (would it have cost much more?). I like the design, but it is more akin to a suburban office park.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

heights unknown

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2019, 03:04:25 PM »
JEA plans to sell the existing tower. This is good news all around: having JEA sell it rather than transferring it to COJ in a land swap increases the chances that the building is saved and renovated. The city would already be revving up the bulldozers.

The existing site

Howard said JEA will sell the Church Street headquarters as part of a larger divestment strategy that could result in $100 million of unused or excess JEA real estate being sold.

“If we could sell it tomorrow and lease it for three years while the new office is being built, we’d do it,” Howard said.

The JEA site is near the Duval County Courthouse.
The campus includes the 19-story tower and a six-level customer service center built in 1967. JEA has occupied the space since 1988.

JEA CEO Aaron Zahn said previously that redevelopment is costly and not ideal considering the footprint is too large and antiquated for JEA’s long-term needs.

From David Cawton at the Daily Record.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/jeas-next-hq-what-put-the-west-adams-street-site-past-the-jaguars-northbank-locations

LOLOL...revving up the bulldozers; they love to do that. "GET THE CATEPILLARS OUT!!!!!!!"
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 01:06:36 AM »
I agree Keith, and when I saw that building, that's the first thought that came to mind: "Why don't they put the offices on top of the parking garage?" Our city, our leaders, our people seem to be so scared to scrape the clouds (would it have cost much more?). I like the design, but it is more akin to a suburban office park.

Eh, I wouldn't be so sure. Realistically, if you spread out the parking garage to take the entire block (perhaps with ground-floor retail) and cut a few stories off of it and the building to account for the increased footprint, I don't think the final structure would be much taller than what we're looking at now, and probably at higher cost if the garage has to be built to then have another building on top of it. JEA's only looking for 200k sq ft. If you think the Ryan plan looks like a suburban office park, you must have already forgotten what Lot J's proposal was supposed to look like.

heights unknown

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 09:38:17 AM »

Eh, I wouldn't be so sure. Realistically, if you spread out the parking garage to take the entire block (perhaps with ground-floor retail) and cut a few stories off of it and the building to account for the increased footprint, I don't think the final structure would be much taller than what we're looking at now, and probably at higher cost if the garage has to be built to then have another building on top of it. JEA's only looking for 200k sq ft. If you think the Ryan plan looks like a suburban office park, you must have already forgotten what Lot J's proposal was supposed to look like.
Thanks for responding. THAT looked like a suburban office building as well. I do agree that it wouldn't have added too much more height with the addition of a parking garage below the offices (depends on how many stories I guess), but I am sure they could have been innovative and went with something more urbanesque and downtownesque for a city of over 900,000 people. We, Jax (though I don't live there but was born in Jax and lived there for quite a while, but stay in touch intimately with whats going on), needs to come out of that small town, small city box, and think like a city of almost a million people, and also look like one; catch my drift? Love my City Jax that I was born in; but hey, let's move out of the sticks and into "major city" ideology!

Kerry

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »
I don't think land value in downtown Jax is high enough to be putting office space on top of parking.
Parking Phases
A. Surface parking
B. Parking garage
C. Integrated parking garage
D. No parking

We are still in Phase A mostly.  Lot's of places are moving into D.
Third Place

heights unknown

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2019, 11:33:04 PM »
I don't think land value in downtown Jax is high enough to be putting office space on top of parking.
Parking Phases
A. Surface parking
B. Parking garage
C. Integrated parking garage
D. No parking

We are still in Phase A mostly.  Lot's of places are moving into D.
So educate me as property value and real estate are not my niche; what would drive up those property values to justify constructing buildings with offices on top of parking garages, or any other type of lucrative high rise? It's obvious we're not south florida or even central florida. When I moved to Fort Lauderdale in 1995, there was very little going on downtown and in the urban core; then, about 2001, an explosion occurred and several high rises, both office and residential were being built everywhere downtown with cranes creaking in the air. So educate me please Kerry.

Kerry

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2019, 09:16:47 AM »
I don't know that it is all the complicated but at the root is land availability and location.  Downtown has lots of vacant land and no demand.  That isn't a combination that supports higher prices.  In fact, demand is so low downtown that the City has decided vacant land is more valuable than improved land (see Court House annex and Landing).  Plus, surface parking provides lots of revenue with little expenses since we tax improvements and not the land itself for the most part.  Tax the surface parking space as if it was a 10'X20' improved piece of ground and you would get a whole different urban landscape.

If you are on Facebook I recommend joining the group The Shoupistas.  The group is named after Donald Shoup who is an Urban Planning professor at UCLA and one of the worlds leading experts on parking and associated land use.  He also has a ton of videos on YouTube.

On edit - let me add that the City itself is the main culprit in this problem.  If the City had better mass transit and removed required parking minimums much less space would be needed for parking.  Oklahoma City removed parking minimum several years ago (as many cities have already done) and implemented a streetcar system (also as many other cities have done).  Since then, several new residential buildings have opened that either only have 1 parking space per unit or no parking spaces at all.  That makes projects that were financial unviable before now make financial sense.

In the documentary Urbanized former Bogota Mayor Enrique Penalosa addressed the question of where people were supposed to park when he got rid of most of the parking in downtown Bogota.  He said your car is a private good.  If you want to own one you figure out where to park it.  It wasn't the City's job to provide you parking space any more so than it was the City's job to provide you a place to hang your clothes.  The City invest public funds in public transportation - which is a huge difference than here in the US where we invest almost all public transportation funds in private transportation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZE3ClCA1m4
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 09:37:38 AM by Kerry »
Third Place

sandyshoes

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2019, 12:13:32 PM »
With the current JEA building right smack in the middle of First Baptistville, how quickly do you think FBC would snap that up for something.  What else would possibly be welcome in that block.  It's gonna be interesting when they begin demolition. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2019, 12:38:52 PM »
People don't attend church like previous generations. FBC would likely benefit from selling off half of its downtown property than acquiring more. Seems they're slowing moving to Nocatee anyway. Some of their facilities would layout nice for an expansion of FSCJ into the Northbank, IMO.

As for the old JEA, unless JEA is funding the demolition, I'm failing to see why anyone in the private sector would. It would be cheaper to fix the elevators, plumbing, etc. than it would to buy a property that large, demo and replace it with something smaller (since there's definitely not a market for high-rise construction in this town). If you're doing stick built stuff, you'd be better off buying a vacant lot elsewhere. Big demolitions like city hall annex, usually come with public sector ownership when people have the ability to play with and burn tax money.  Things change, when you're trying to get some return of investment.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:41:12 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali