Author Topic: Urban Construction Update - March 2019  (Read 1744 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: Urban Construction Update - March 2019
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 08:01:56 AM »
^It deserves its own article.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Snaketoz

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 02:50:02 PM »
I'm continually irked by the demolishing of some of our classic buildings.  I went to Kirby-Smith back in the 50s.  It was old then, but very serviceable.  Many of these schools were new when I went to Kirby.  Many don't have the pazazz of the older structures, but could still be used.  None of them are older than the White House.  It's still in use.  We need to save and upgrade most of these structures.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 06:02:32 PM »
Also - in the Springfield section of the update, one more to add: Eddis & Son's Handcrafted Cheese Steaks (food truck) is renovating 217 West 8th Street for a brick & mortar now. Permits just pulled.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 07:42:27 PM by Bill Hoff »

Fallen Buckeye

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 07:18:45 PM »
As a former elementary teacher for DCPS, I'd like to weigh in on the building debate. The buildings are only one part of the issue. The bigger problem is administrative.

First of all, lower income inner city schools are plagued by instability. Families often are forced to move frequently, so children shuffle between schools in a fairly small geographic area. Each time they move they have to relearn a million little things about a new school and new class. This just throws another obstacle in the way of their growth and development. A school can't help that their students tend to migrate, but by consolidating smaller schools they can make it more likely that a child stays in the same school even if their family moves.

A second problem exists with staffing schools. Every year teachers around the district must be rearranged. Schools with too many students and not enough teachers receive surplus teachers from schools who might have experienced a population drop. This is incredibly disruptive because students must be moved around usually in September or October. This essentially means a new start for that teacher who must spend time teaching procedural tasks instead of content. Again consolidation makes sense because it reduces this churn.

There is also the problem of finding suitable leaders for schools. Not all principals are created equal. Consolidation means that you have fewer principals to find, and since the bigger schools tend to have several assistant principals you create a situation where the absolute best administrators can mentor. You also tend to pay assistant principals less, and you can create efficiencies with administrative tasks. You get the benefit of a deeper pool of talent within one school that more easily adapt to circumstances like extended illnesses and so on.

Consolidation has drawbacks like complicating transportation, but after spending a decade in the system I feel that the benefits outweigh the costs.

Fallen Buckeye

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 07:23:47 PM »
That's not to say that the schools should outright be demolished for the most part. Re-use like they did with John Gorrie would be much better.

edjax

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 08:28:57 PM »
Per article in Daily Record today Whispers Oyster Bar will be opening on Forsyth in the old space occupied by the Bank BBQ and Bakery. 

Mad Cowford

• Mad Cowford Improv
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2019, 09:26:24 PM »
There was some work going on inside the Marble Bank building today and the door was open to the street. Is that just staging for the Barnett or is work starting in earnest there?

itsfantastic1

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2019, 07:21:31 PM »
So I went to my local District 7 master plan forum and specifically asked the gentlemen giving the presentation about historic buildings listed as demolished (including Loretto elementary). He and his company are aware citizens are up in arms that the term demolished is being used, however they did it for two reasons. First; they make the assumption that a full demolition and rebuild of a school would be the most expensive option compared to re-purposing a structure (with they say only accounts for 10% of overall costs). This was to present a worst case scenario for the funding aspect that the district is trying to secure.

Second, once funding is identified; each school will get an individually tailored construction plan that will involve more local community input on what should be done if identified as a major renovation or demo/rebuild. They fully admit they haven't thought of what each school's plan involves short of what the FCI values says should happen with the school. Also, they have not prioritized any one school over another due to funding not being secured yet.

Interestingly, I asked if all funding needed was secured; were we looking at carbon copy of concrete pod-type buildings everywhere and they said no; they are currently not planning on saving money by value engineering a prototype that fits all schools.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 07:48:09 PM by itsfantastic1 »

Bill Hoff

pierre

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2019, 01:27:56 PM »
I like 1748 Bake House's stuff at RAM, and they are very friendly people. I hope this works out for them.