Author Topic: Atlanta Developer Shares Vision for $300 Million Town Center Development  (Read 5741 times)

Captain Zissou

The people on this site who think the developer closes on the land the minute they propose a project are amusing.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
We totally misunderstand timelines associated with development. Especially the local media and elected officials. At one point, people were talking about "barbell" redevelopment with Brooklyn/LaVilla and the Sports District first becoming successful and that causing growth to engulf the Northbank. Pretty crazy considering most of LaVilla and the Sports District will continue to be parking lots for the next decade....even with rapid growth (which isn't guaranteed).
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

RattlerGator

Unfortunately, DT is screwed for the foreseeable future if the current redevelopment strategy stays in place. The downtown question will likely have to wait until Curry's time in office comes to an end.

Ennis, Ennis, Ennis.

Come on, man. Come on.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Sorry, I took the red pill back in 2007. 12 years later, its still a ghost town at night and on weekends. Now I'm just a realist. It is what it is. I'd like to see it just as vibrant as Clematis before I'm eligible for an AARP card but I'm not holding my breath waiting for the current strategy to play out.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
The people on this site who think the developer closes on the land the minute they propose a project are amusing.

Years and decades of fail projects will do that to ya!! I never celebrate anything in Jax until they are open for business and even then I worry,

Captain Zissou

I've always thought this was basically a copycat of The District put on the southside, but now I'm positive.  The District guys were courting Cinebistro back in the day.  I think tenants are seeing this as a more viable project with a shorter timeline, so they are going here.  Maybe both, but I don't think this bodes well for the boondoggle on the southbank.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/cinebistros-high-end-concept-planned-for-the-exchange-at-jacksonville

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
The District is one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" type of projects. I doubt we'll see two Cinebistros in a MSA as small as Jax.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
At first glance, it looks really nice.

My primary qualm would be about why they rendered on-street parallel parking on that TMA Road. That would mean they're expecting people to go through that massive roundabout and then immediately stop in order to back into a parallel space, which is utterly insane.

I also notice how there in general doesn't seem to be much incentive for people to be on TMA Road unless they're pretty much driving in or out. Nothing is facing it except the backs of buildings. I assume that must be by design.

Also, I realize this is probably dumb, and not really this developer's problem, but there doesn't seem to be any room for public transit to move people anywhere. You can walk around the Exchange or from the closest houses to the Exchange, but unless you have a car you can't really get from anywhere else to the Exchange, or vice versa.

Todd_Parker

With this project, how dangerously close will the city/region be to reaching full amphitheater saturation?

tufsu1

The District is one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" type of projects. I doubt we'll see two Cinebistros in a MSA as small as Jax.

and best guess is we'll never see it

KenFSU

^My money remains on significant sitework starting at the District before we see any action at Lot J, Berkman II, the Trio, the Landing, Hart Bridge ramp removal, and maybe even the Laura Street garage at this point.

Steve

• The Jaxson
^My money remains on significant sitework starting at the District before we see any action at Lot J, Berkman II, the Trio, the Landing, Hart Bridge ramp removal, and maybe even the Laura Street garage at this point.

I'd love to get excited on the District, but I just can't. I'm not seeing it. I'm putting the district up there with East San Marco.

I certainly could be wrong. Exhibit A: The Ambassador Hotel looks like it's actually happening and I thought that was complete nonsense when it was proposed.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
The Forsyth/Laura Street garage has been approved for construction and is needed for the Barnett and VyStar, so the District better hurry up. I'd be surprised to see Lot J, Berkman II or the Hart Bridge ramp removal get started in 2019. I don't know what's the hold up with the Trio.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 10:15:06 AM by thelakelander »

KenFSU

I don't know what's the hold up with the Trio.

Labor and logisitics, apparently.

Appears to be a phased construction situation where the Barnett crew will move on to the next building once they're done.

The Trio site is being used for staging and storage for the Barnett as well - the Marble Bank building looks like a Home Depot inside.

I think we'll start to see movement on the Trio pretty quickly as the Barnett winds down, but I still don't know what the hold up is with the garage. It's permitted and DDRB approved, and Vystar and the Barnett tenants are going to need it sooner than later.

Vagabond has starting working with an architect on their Barnett build-out as well. They're hoping to be in by Fall.