Author Topic: San Marco Parking Salvation!  (Read 2024 times)

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
San Marco Parking Salvation!
« on: March 15, 2019, 08:44:09 AM »
I am not familiar with this Beach Buggy service but it is coming to San Marco.
I would expect it to very popular with guests at the South Bank hotels  but other than that I may be missing something. So people that are afraid to come to San Marco  because they "cannot find" parking will suddenly come out now because they can find an inviting parking lot (under the overpass?) that reminds them of suburbia and then call a buggy?

We usually walk so maybe I am just clueless on perspective. Hopefully, this will be a big hit.

I can definitely see us using this to go to Ruth's so I am pretty happy. Opens up a second obscenely marked up bottle of wine possibility! Wait....maybe I will still drive.

https://residentnews.net/2019/03/01/servicing-the-last-mile-in-san-marco/

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: San Marco Parking Salvation!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 08:56:15 AM »
Sounds like a pretty good idea. I wasn't aware of these at the Beaches - I'll keep an eye out next time I'm visiting the in-laws!
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 09:01:50 AM »
It's very popular at the Beach, and it's been a decent stopgap solution considering that people don't seem to be willing to take buses. There I think most users are either locals or hotel guests who don't want to deal with driving and parking, especially on weekends. It'll be interesting to see how well it works in San Marco. I can see that it might be popular with Southbank hotel guests wanting to go toward the Square, as it's a hike to walk and the parking can be tough at high times - and again, people don't want to take buses.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 09:15:03 AM »
“This will totally solve our parking problems,” said Harris

Typical Jacksonville.

I will definitely use this when it expands to St. Nick.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 09:23:20 AM »
There I think most users are either locals or hotel guests who don't want to deal with driving and parking, especially on weekends.

I think this is what will happen here. They should get a decent draw from the increased density on the SouthBank and if they are busy enough to expand their reach south of River Oaks, I could see them capturing a lot of "drivers" from further south.

I think they will be successful, I just don't see a ton of people suddenly driving in from outside the area to park and use the buggy. But, if they can get rid of a bunch of local cars, I can see their point of opening up spots and being an indirect benefit.

Its a great idea and hopefully it works here like it has at the beach. I love the idea and I had no idea this existed. We do occasional weekends at One Ocean and normally never venture from the Town Center area. But this is a lock for us to use this to go to Eleven South in Jax Beach since it appears they service all areas.

acme54321

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 09:37:17 AM »
Im just outside of their coverage zone but that would be sweet if they picked you up at your house and drove you down to the square.  You could always walk home worst case.  The biggest benefit of this I can see is moving people between the Nira/Hendricks/King area and the square. 

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 04:35:36 PM »
Yeah I am really excited for this and surprised it's not Riverside-Avondale-Murray Hill that gets the first trial in the urban core. Also surprised that they will be operating throughout the day and throughout the week, not just evenings.

MusicMan

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 05:55:54 PM »
Great news.

I have proposed for many years a "Riverside Connector" service, FREE TO RIDERS AND PAID FOR BY MERCHANTS, that connects The Shoppes of Avondale to Publix, then up to Five Points, back to Stockton Street, and finally Park and King Street District. From there back to The Shoppes....  There are plenty of merchants within those areas to pay for it, and it would run (3 -4 buggies) nonstop in that loop. If you were at Starbucks but wanted to meet a friend at The Fox for lunch you just hop in the buggie, knowing you did not need a car and that you could get a free ride back to Starbucks after the meal.

This idea in San Marco is a winner.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 11:08:24 AM »
While the city has poured tens of millions - maybe hundreds ? - into parking in the lifeless CBD, it's barely spent on a penny helping these vibrant neighborhoods.   

It's good to see them not waiting for the inept government and getting things done them-self.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 09:00:24 PM »
They are testing and taking rides tonight. Finally!

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 09:25:55 PM »
They are testing and taking rides tonight. Finally!

Saw that! Awesome news.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

acme54321

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 11:50:03 PM »
How are they testing without the app working?

sandyshoes

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 10:16:30 AM »
O Happy Day...does this mean I can park wherever I can find and get a ride to Tidbits?  There's no handicapped parking available over there so I can't go anymore. 

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 08:21:04 PM »
We were at Rue tonight and saw a buggy pull up. I still can't get the app to work so not sure if they are officially up and running yet.

pierre

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 09:40:21 AM »
Saw them last night slowing down traffic on Hendricks