Author Topic: Mandarin's I-295 Express Lane Project Nears Completion  (Read 2918 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Mandarin's I-295 Express Lane Project Nears Completion
« on: March 12, 2019, 09:26:34 AM »

Many may say Jacksonville doesn't want to become the next Atlanta but the growing width of its interstate system suggests that's where the River City is headed. Here's a brief look and update on the development of the First Coast's first express lane project as it pushes closer to completion.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/mandarins-i-295-express-lane-project-nears-completion/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jagsdrew

Re: Mandarin's I-295 Express Lane Project Nears Completion
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 12:06:19 PM »
A three-year project that turned into 5+ years.
Twitter: @Jagsdrew

Todd_Parker

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 02:11:51 PM »
Has enough budget been set aside to replace those orange divider posts every 2 weeks?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 02:15:55 PM »
Has enough budget been set aside to replace those orange divider posts every 2 weeks?

They've already replaced some of them with shorter ones. Driving this nearly every day from San Jose to 95, I've seem then re-do a ton of things like tear out the new center retaining wall in spots and redo it, these posts, etc. I realize things happen but this seems to be going incredibly slow.

itsfantastic1

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 03:21:16 PM »
Based on this article from earlier this year, as well as some articles scattered throughout 2018 that I can't find anymore; it seems like there have been potential issues with the contractor. Right now, this 2+ year delay is being blamed on weather but don't be surprised if other issues emerge once the project is complete and a review takes place.

https://www.wokv.com/news/local/fdot-new-express-lanes-west-beltway-now-expected-completed-spring-2019/zdZWiyXdreaYqWRXOPQSXL/

Charles Hunter

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 03:27:23 PM »
The Tentative Work Program for Fiscal Years 2020 through 2024 https://d2wpph.net/documents/2018/Citizen%20Plan%20for%20FY20-FY24%20dated%2011-15-2018.pdf includes funding for right-of-way (ROW) and construction of the next segment of Managed Lanes on the East Beltway.
4322592 I-295 SR 202 (JTB) to Atlantic Blvd. - Add Managed Lanes - ROW 2020-2022 ($48 million) / Design-Build 2022-2023 ($320 Million)
There is also another ROW project between JTB and Southside Connector (or Merrill Road - in any event, south of the Dames Point Bridge), with $13 million programmed between 2022 and 2024.

FDOT also has Project Development and Environmental Studies (PD&E) on the West Beltway, between Commonwealth and I-95 North in 2022 and 2023.

And, itsfantastic1, you would not be wrong.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 03:35:54 PM »
Since SunPass is the only way to use the new toll lanes, you can the transponders at many locations: Publix, Walgreens, CVS, AAA, and online: https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/whereToPurchaseSunPass.shtml

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 07:40:22 PM »
I presume there actually is some way for them to toll by plate, otherwise there'd be nothing keeping people from hopping in those lanes for free.

itsfantastic1

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 07:58:37 PM »
I believe they have some way to capture your plate but it appears they won't be using it for toll purposes for some reason. However they'll be able to give you a fine of some "large" amount if you don't use SunPass. This may be the FDOTs way of forcing Jacksonville into using SunPasses initially and then they'll add toll by plate later.

https://www.news4jax.com/traffic/what-drivers-need-to-know-before-i-295-express-lanes-open-in-mandarin

Charles Hunter

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 08:31:01 PM »
If you drive in the Express Lanes without a SunPass transponder, you will get an invoice in the mail for the toll, plus a $2.50 admin fee, plus a $25 fine - for each day of violation.

On Toll-By-Plate facilities, like the First Coast Expressway (FCE), you don't need a SunPass.  You will get an invoice in the mail for whatever tolls you incurred, plus a $2.50 Admin Fee. If you have SunPass, you save the $2.50 Admin fee.  The fee is for each time you use the facility.  So, if you go to and from work on the FCE, you will have $5.00 a day in Admin Fees, on top of the tolls.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 03:06:49 PM »

Many may say Jacksonville doesn't want to become the next Atlanta but the growing width of its interstate system suggests that's where the River City is headed. Here's a brief look and update on the development of the First Coast's first express lane project as it pushes closer to completion.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/mandarins-i-295-express-lane-project-nears-completion/

This is the Main Street of the Mandarin Community, yes?
Also, why shouldn't Jax be the next Atlanta or move in that general direction?  It has some lofty impression of its future > its people are better informed, more analytical, more strategic about land use and mobility planning?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 03:09:43 PM by jaxnyc79 »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 03:34:32 PM »
Generally when people say "we don't want to be the next Atlanta", they aren't referring to the progressive things that Atlanta has gotten right. They're generally describing the congested arterial highways, interstates and low density sprawl its known for. From that perspective, some would say Jax is moving in the direction of being the environment some claim they'd like to avoid.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxnyc79

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 07:15:42 PM »
Generally when people say "we don't want to be the next Atlanta", they aren't referring to the progressive things that Atlanta has gotten right. They're generally describing the congested arterial highways, interstates and low density sprawl its known for. From that perspective, some would say Jax is moving in the direction of being the environment some claim they'd like to avoid.

My post was all sarcasm>sorry it didn't translate well.  I was challenging the locals who complain of Atlanta...what gives them the gumption to grouse about Atlanta...little to nothing about Jax is charting a different path to support population growth...has anything fundamental or strategic been done in Jax to yield better growth outcomes than those in Atlanta?  From what I gather, Jax will look a lot like Atlanta should it experience that sort of population boom, maybe it will look worse.  One can only hope that amidst all that sprawl and highway overrun, its locals can at least point to a quasi-bustling, self-sustaining core.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:24:41 PM by jaxnyc79 »

jaxnyc79

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 07:28:12 PM »
By the way, I find Mandarin to be a disaster.  San Jose Blvd south of Baymeadows is a squandered opportunity and the poster-child of cheap neon.  No one ever thought to give Mandarin a true Main Street...a gathering place...a walkable cluster or core? 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 07:51:55 PM »
Not that I'm aware. Old Mandarin is nice but San Jose Blvd is just as bad as Blanding. If Jax is lucky, it will slowly develop to be 1/5 of what Houston is today, with a beach that's 20 miles closer than Galveston is to that city. Just about everything we talk about coming to downtown and the inner city neighborhoods locally, is already there....including Berkman's ferris wheel, Khan's larger convention center, Groundworks Jax's dream trails and Aquajax's aquarium. And if we want miles of sprawl and wide highways, its got a lot of that too.