Author Topic: Re-make 'Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing' by Augusta Savage?  (Read 735 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re-make 'Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing' by Augusta Savage?
« on: February 20, 2019, 10:17:57 AM »

A guest editorial by Glenn Weiss suggesting that Jacksonville should honor August Savage by re-making her famed 'Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing' sculpture in LaVilla's James Weldon Johnson Park.

Read more: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/re-make-lift-evry-voice-and-sing-by-augusta-savage
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Captain Zissou

Re: Re-make 'Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing' by Augusta Savage?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 11:26:41 AM »
For so many reasons this should be done.  That's how I know it will never happen in Jax.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 02:38:33 PM »
I've always had a similar line of thinking. I'd prefer a modern reinterpretation to a straight up replica. And I'd rather have a more central location than this park. The park is REAL sad, and even if it's improved it will be years before there's anything else around it. I'd rather see it go into Hemming or a more central pocket park, like the one across from the Florida Theater.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

RattlerGator

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 08:52:03 AM »
A Clay County chick. It's an absolutely beautiful piece and we do need to figure out how to showcase it, and her, more.

Hemming Park would certainly be better or one of the new spaces that will likely be created downtown in the next few years.

While contemplating this, Jacksonville also benefits from more of a regional perspective. As the lead city of North Florida, for instance, stretching from Cedar Key / Ocala / Daytona to the south and Live Oak to the West, Fernandina to the north.