Author Topic: Medical Marijuana Dispensary Coming to Five Points  (Read 1288 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Medical Marijuana Dispensary Coming to Five Points
« on: February 11, 2019, 10:36:44 AM »

National medical marijuana provider opening a flagship location in the iconic Five Points commercial district.

Read more: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/medical-marijuana-dispensary-coming-to-five-points/
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Kerry

Re: Medical Marijuana Dispensary Coming to Five Points
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 11:08:40 AM »
It will be interesting to see what 'medical' marijuana does to urban housing demand and prices.  You can't walk down the hallways at 220 Riverside without smelling it even though we are supposed to be a 100% smoke-free building.  It is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to moving out at the end of the month.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:37:06 AM by Kerry »
Third Place

sandyshoes

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 11:37:17 AM »
  ;D  What's new about that - 5 Points has always been a maryjane mecca! 

JPalmer

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 11:44:03 AM »
#NoSmokeIsAJoke

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 12:40:43 PM »
Stay classy, Riverside.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

FlaBoy

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 12:46:11 PM »
This is a disappointment for the area. That is primetime real estate for the district that will now be underutilized for most people.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 01:06:02 PM »
^Agreed. Not to knock people who need these, but this is not the best use of this property.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Live_Oak

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 01:16:13 PM »
I'm surprised they need the entire 6,000 square foot building. That's a lot of weed.

Also disappointed that they plan on painting over the Shaun Thurston mural.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 02:20:25 PM »

That's my biggest complaint.  I am sure they'll get some opposition from the uptight RAP crowd, so why upset them more by removing public art?  Hopefully they will replace it with another mural or something cool.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 03:59:04 PM »
From the

That's my biggest complaint.  I am sure they'll get some opposition from the uptight RAP crowd, so why upset them more by removing public art?  Hopefully they will replace it with another mural or something cool.

Nope.  From the article
he proposed storefront façade is under review for a Certificate of Appropriateness by the Jacksonville Historic Preservation Commission, and includes a bold red facade that would stretch from new canopies to be installed along the Park St elevation and continue around the corner to replace the Shaun Thurston mural currently adorning the building along Lomax St.

Does seem large for medical pot shop, but probably about right when recreational use is legalized. Maybe they are playing the long game.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 04:37:33 PM »
They are clearly making this purchase with the idea that recreational use will get passed in the next few years.

Kerry

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 04:49:40 PM »
Recreational use is already allowed.  It is so easy to get a medical card it is laughable.  My friend got one because he told his doctor he was stressed and had trouble eating.  The irony is, his stress is from being an unemployed pothead, but that is another subject.
Third Place

dp8541

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 05:07:23 PM »
They are clearly making this purchase with the idea that recreational use will get passed in the next few years.

This.  I am interested if they are leasing urban locations like this across the country banking on state laws changing.  I think passing medical use was the hard part so recreational use and sale is only a matter of time. 

Charles Hunter

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 05:51:48 PM »
According to their website, they have stores in Arizona, California, Florida, Illinois, and New York. https://www.medmen.com/stores
Interestingly, the list does not include Jacksonville as "coming soon".

Also from their website
cannabis as a consumer product. It is a simple idea with profound consequences for how marijuana is cultivated, produced and marketed. Quality standards matter, best practices matter, brand reputation matters. Today, MedMen is the most dominant cannabis enterprise in the emerging legal marijuana industry.

Yeah, they are banking on legalization.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 07:52:20 PM »
I've heard that some of the store owners in 5 Points are disappointed. They were hoping for a more inclusive use as well, and the solid red walls are definitely a major detractor.