Author Topic: Vintage Photos: Hansontown  (Read 300 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: Vintage Photos: Hansontown
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 11:21:21 AM »
Great post. Also interesting to me in the map that you shared was where LaVilla Park was. It's located either West of 95 or where 95 is today (I can't tell).

Another example of how the highway really tore up urban neighborhoods.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 11:27:05 AM »
Thanks! You may be thinking about Wilder Park? LaVilla Park or at least a part of it still exists. It's just south of Beaver Street behind Shiloh Baptist, just west of I-95:

Florida C. Dwight Memorial Playground is located in the La Villa section near downtown Jacksonville, just west of Interstate 95. The park comprised a portion of the Town of La Villa, which was subdivided and incorporated after the Civil War and remained independent until annexed by Jacksonville in 1887. After the City purchased the land in 1904, it became a park for the area’s white residents known as La Villa Park. In 1929, the City’s second playground for African-American children was established there and named La Villa Playground. Florida Dwight (1886-1977), the playground’s first recreation director, pioneered organized recreation for the City’s African-American community from 1918 (with the opening of Oakland Park) until her retirement in 1950. To honor her years of devoted work, the playground was renamed in 1983, and then designated a local historic landmark in 1995.

http://www.coj.net/departments/parks-and-recreation/recreation-and-community-programming/parks/florida-c-dwight-memorial-playground
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 11:37:54 AM »
Great post. Also interesting to me in the map that you shared was where LaVilla Park was. It's located either West of 95 or where 95 is today (I can't tell).

Another example of how the highway really tore up urban neighborhoods.

OK, thelaklander beat me to the ID of the park.

Back in the late 1950s / early 1960s when the old Jacksonville Expressway Authority (now JTA) built that section of the expressway, that's how expressways were located.  Either through minority neighborhoods, because the property values were low, and they didn't have the political power to stop it; or to act as a physical barrier between 'white' and 'black' neighborhoods.  Looks like this may have been the former.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 12:35:37 PM »
Thanks! You may be thinking about Wilder Park? LaVilla Park or at least a part of it still exists. It's just south of Beaver Street behind Shiloh Baptist, just west of I-95:

Florida C. Dwight Memorial Playground is located in the La Villa section near downtown Jacksonville, just west of Interstate 95. The park comprised a portion of the Town of La Villa, which was subdivided and incorporated after the Civil War and remained independent until annexed by Jacksonville in 1887. After the City purchased the land in 1904, it became a park for the area’s white residents known as La Villa Park. In 1929, the City’s second playground for African-American children was established there and named La Villa Playground. Florida Dwight (1886-1977), the playground’s first recreation director, pioneered organized recreation for the City’s African-American community from 1918 (with the opening of Oakland Park) until her retirement in 1950. To honor her years of devoted work, the playground was renamed in 1983, and then designated a local historic landmark in 1995.

http://www.coj.net/departments/parks-and-recreation/recreation-and-community-programming/parks/florida-c-dwight-memorial-playground

Well both parks really. But LaVilla park being west of 95 really drives the point home.