Author Topic: JTA Hires Former Amazon Exec To Oversee U2C Program  (Read 3342 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
JTA Hires Former Amazon Exec To Oversee U2C Program
« on: January 23, 2019, 08:53:55 AM »
The Jacksonville Transportation Authority (JTA) recently announced that former Amazon® executive Bernard Schmidt has been hired to serve as Vice President of Automation. In this new position, Schmidt will manage and oversee all elements of the Ultimate Urban Circulator Program (U2C), including the Bay Street Innovation Corridor project.

The U2C program is not like any other domestic capital program that has been undertaken. Fixed guideway automated vehicle technology is currently operating in the United States, but the transition to driverless vehicles and other mixed traffic and pedestrian integrated mobility is unique and new to the United States. Comparable programs include those in the United Kingdom, The Netherlands and Switzerland.

Read More: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/jta-hires-former-amazon-exec-to-oversee-u2c-program/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Captain Zissou

Re: JTA Hires Former Amazon Exec To Oversee U2C Program
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 09:27:59 AM »
I would consider this throwing good money after bad.

CityLife

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 09:50:32 AM »
Think the headline is a bit deceiving. He was a general manager of a fulfillment center, not an executive for Amazon Corporate.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 09:57:08 AM »
The headline hooked me as well. However, I decided to run the press release as is.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

CityLife

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 10:05:48 AM »
The headline hooked me as well. However, I decided to run the press release as is.

Yeah, I figured that’s where it came from. Not only is he not an Amazon Corporate guy, he managed one of the Amazon fulfillment centers in Jax. There are tons of fulfillment centers around the country....Nice try JTA.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/amazon-plans-to-create-5-000-jacksonville-jobs

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 10:29:46 AM »
Bernard has a wide breadth of experience in strategy, management, oversight and implementation. At United Technologies Corporation, General Dynamics, Inc. and Dominion Nuclear Energy Co., he instituted overall process improvements and performed systems and design engineering for aerospace systems; maintenance, repair and overhaul facilities, and nuclear submarines. He earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering from the University of Rochester and earned his master’s degree from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute’s Center for Lean Studies and has a Six Sigma Master Black Belt.[/font][/size]

At least besides that he seems like a pretty smart guy. Not sure how that leads into running an untested program being forced like a round peg into a square hole and likely doomed to failure, but he is smart.

JBTripper

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 10:31:27 AM »
U2C doesn't cross the river? I thought this thing was supposed to extend into San Marco.

Also, The District is under construction?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
I'm not aware of the District being under construction. Also, I believe the Bay Street thing shown is supposed to be phase 1 of the U2C.

Jagsdrew

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 01:34:08 PM »
This looks so wasteful. 

So many home run ideas but the base hits are the ones that make the most impact.
Twitter: @Jagsdrew

Captain Zissou

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 02:09:43 PM »
Think the headline is a bit deceiving. He was a general manager of a fulfillment center, not an executive for Amazon Corporate.

This makes me feel better.  I thought they were shelling out millions for this guy.  Luckily that's not the case.

Kerry

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 08:40:38 AM »
I'm just wondering what it is on this guy's resume that qualifies him above all other applicants to be placed in charge of a mass transit implementation.
Third Place

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 10:26:39 AM »
I'm just wondering what it is on this guy's resume that qualifies him above all other applicants to be placed in charge of a mass transit implementation.

I'm wondering who else applied.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 10:44:22 AM »
1. Autonomous vehicles
2. Innovation corridor
3. Hart Bridge ramps
4. Convention center
5. JEA Tower
6. Opportunity zone selection
7. Shipyards
8. Metro Park
9. Stadium upgrades

... all roads lead to Shad Khan.

JBTripper

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 12:19:53 PM »
If the self-driving cars are as good as advertised, vehicles will no longer require bumpers. That's not great for Shad. /s

Kerry

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 01:14:52 PM »
1. Autonomous vehicles
2. Innovation corridor
3. Hart Bridge ramps
4. Convention center
5. JEA Tower
6. Opportunity zone selection
7. Shipyards
8. Metro Park
9. Stadium upgrades

... all roads lead to Shad Khan.

...and people think I'm crazy for thinking the Jags aren't good for Jax.
Third Place