Author Topic: JTA Hires Former Amazon Exec To Oversee U2C Program  (Read 3319 times)

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
Re: JTA Hires Former Amazon Exec To Oversee U2C Program
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 10:19:36 PM »
If the self-driving cars are as good as advertised, vehicles will no longer require bumpers. That's not great for Shad. /s

;D ;D

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 02:05:05 PM »
I'm not sure what the point of quibbling over whether or not the running a 24/7 facility with 1,500 employees constitutes "amazon exec" or not.   JTA has 1/2 that many employees.   

The 1,500 employee facility had more robots working in it than humans.   

The important piece here is maybe lost on the journalists.  He's had day in, day out real life experience working with robots.   At the end of the day U2C is about having robots carry people around.   

Schmidt has great experience working with these robots and setting up systems and processes to maximize the use of the robots and maximizing their safe interactions with people.   

I'm incredibly skeptical of JTA's plan  to use robobuses.   IMHO their current Skyway fleet will crap out long before robobuses are safe enough to be unleashed on the general public.   I'd love to poo-poo this move by them.  But, at least from here, it seems like a solid move forward.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/10/technology/amazon-robots-workers.html

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 05:01:29 PM »
He's had day in, day out real life experience working with robots.   At the end of the day U2C is about having robots carry people around.   

Schmidt has great experience working with these robots and setting up systems and processes to maximize the use of the robots and maximizing their safe interactions with people. 

There are all kinds of robots doing very different things.  Just because someone has managed humans in one profession doesn't automatically make them proficient to manage humans in another.  Likewise, a robot on an auto assembly line that is fixed in place and repetitively and predictably repeats the same motions making cars isn't the same as robotic vehicles that interact and transport people in a complex environment that is ever changing.  In that spirit, supporting robotic material handling in an Amazon warehouse is far less sophisticated than autonomous vehicles and is not really comparable to the task at hand.

That said, regardless of who takes charge, I think this project is going to be a failure on par with the Skyway for much of the same reasons.  Terrible cost-benefit ratio, won't be widely accepted or desired by the consuming public (after a potential "novelty" period) and will, given it is attempting to be an "early adopter", both face lots of unanticipated/unsolved technical issues and be quickly superseded by far better solutions quickly rendering it a dinosaur like the Skyway it is replacing.

Common sense says, like the Skyway, how much impact can slow moving cars carrying 5 to 12 (?) people make on traffic or mobility for the masses?  And, in Downtown, you still have the elevated stations which have proven to be more out-of-sight, out-of-mind and too out-of-the-way for most.  If they pull this off, I give it no more than 5 years before its declared the next black eye for Jax transit.  We should just await the arrival of self driving Ubers with no taxpayer support.  Better yet, the arrival of autonomous buses, trolleys and trains that can carry far more people to far more places.

With all the other far better and more necessary transit options we could and should be pursuing, it is disappointing to see this side show being pushed forward, diverting limited resources and distracting us from what we should really be focused on.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:12:23 PM by jaxlongtimer »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 05:58:57 PM »
I'm all for transit that can have the side economic benefit of helping change the built environment into a place that's more walkable and dense. It really doesn't matter what the technology or innovative idea is, if a project doesn't provide the basics that set it up to appeal to the average end user, it's screwed. The biggest issues I see with the U2C aren't necessary what's running under the hood. They're some of the same basics the Skyway suffers from:

1. The Route - High frequency, high profile, premium, fixed transit needs to seamlessly connect where potential riders live and where they want to go. No matter how much Curry, Khan, Rummell, etc. are selling, downtown WITH their developments fully built out, still lacks the necessary residential population density to support a significant mass transit investment alone. These guys need to tie this thing deep into the heart of where transit dependent riders live. That's not Five Points, Brooklyn or San Marco.....it's neighborhoods and destinations in the Northwest Quadrant like Durkeeville, Edward Waters, New Town, Farmers Market, etc.

2. Lack of Dedicated ROW or lanes - Just because an emerging transit technology may be able to mix in traffic with doesn't make it a good idea to do so. Give your transit investment a real possibility of competing with personal vehicle travel through travel time savings and on-time arrival reliability. The purest way to accomplish this is with dedicated lanes or ROW, regardless of if the mode is an AV, streetcar, LRT, bus or bicycle.

3. Coordinated Land Use - I'm highly surprised that people in this town don't talk much about the importance of coordinating land use policies with transportation infrastructure investments here. The Skyway was built over 30 years ago. A city like Charlotte or Portland would have made sure major urban investments like TIAA Bank Field, the Jacksonville Landing, Hyatt Riverfront, Veterans Memorial Arena, the Baseball Grounds, the Duval County Courthouse, the Main Public Library, etc. would have been situated within walking distance of its existing stations, thus giving people a reason to use the $200 million investment. They also would have made sure to tie the thing into real destinations with parking and expansion constraints like Baptist Health on the Southbank or UF Health Jacksonville in Springfield. Land between these perfectly situated destinations would have been zoned and pushed as locations for high density infill development to take place. If that were done over the past 30 years, the Skyway would have much higher ridership, even if it never expanded past 2.5 to 5 miles in total system length. Today, we still don't put much thought into coordinating land use. As a result, it's more realistic to expect a similar outcome than one that will be totally different.

4. Changing demographics - There's nothing wrong with technology or innovation, but make sure we know and understand our local demographic make-up and trends in comparison with whatever is being planned to serve it. At least since 1970, we've been trending more black, hispanic and asian, while our white population moves further away from the core, inner ring suburbs, etc. and into our exburbs and adjacent counties. The press release states the U2C will be the first of its kind in the US and the only similar systems in operation exist in the UK, Switzerland and the Netherlands! That should raise a big red flag as an issue that needs more attention and detailed analysis and focus, IMO. It's sort of like serving only Turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing, green bean casserole and pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. That may fly over in Mandarin or Avondale but you'll get ran out of Grand Park or Moncrief. There, you better show up with an entirely different set of sides, desserts and preparation of meat. We got to know and understand our demographics and how that relates to acceptance of different public investments and mobility solutions.

5 . Capacity - In a world of where you want higher density, more walkability, etc., it's logical to provide transit solutions that can move a higher capacity of people. If all we're talking about is vehicles moving at 25mph and carrying a max of 12 to 15 people (still not sure what happens if a bike user wants to jump on with bikes) and sharing lanes with cars, we can get away with doing nothing. The private sector (lyft, uber, jitneys, etc.) can serve that market better than the public sector can.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 06:10:10 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxnyc79

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 10:44:48 AM »
I'm all for transit that can have the side economic benefit of helping change the built environment into a place that's more walkable and dense. It really doesn't matter what the technology or innovative idea is, if a project doesn't provide the basics that set it up to appeal to the average end user, it's screwed. The biggest issues I see with the U2C aren't necessary what's running under the hood. They're some of the same basics the Skyway suffers from:

1. The Route - High frequency, high profile, premium, fixed transit needs to seamlessly connect where potential riders live and where they want to go. No matter how much Curry, Khan, Rummell, etc. are selling, downtown WITH their developments fully built out, still lacks the necessary residential population density to support a significant mass transit investment alone. These guys need to tie this thing deep into the heart of where transit dependent riders live. That's not Five Points, Brooklyn or San Marco.....it's neighborhoods and destinations in the Northwest Quadrant like Durkeeville, Edward Waters, New Town, Farmers Market, etc.

2. Lack of Dedicated ROW or lanes - Just because an emerging transit technology may be able to mix in traffic with doesn't make it a good idea to do so. Give your transit investment a real possibility of competing with personal vehicle travel through travel time savings and on-time arrival reliability. The purest way to accomplish this is with dedicated lanes or ROW, regardless of if the mode is an AV, streetcar, LRT, bus or bicycle.

3. Coordinated Land Use - I'm highly surprised that people in this town don't talk much about the importance of coordinating land use policies with transportation infrastructure investments here. The Skyway was built over 30 years ago. A city like Charlotte or Portland would have made sure major urban investments like TIAA Bank Field, the Jacksonville Landing, Hyatt Riverfront, Veterans Memorial Arena, the Baseball Grounds, the Duval County Courthouse, the Main Public Library, etc. would have been situated within walking distance of its existing stations, thus giving people a reason to use the $200 million investment. They also would have made sure to tie the thing into real destinations with parking and expansion constraints like Baptist Health on the Southbank or UF Health Jacksonville in Springfield. Land between these perfectly situated destinations would have been zoned and pushed as locations for high density infill development to take place. If that were done over the past 30 years, the Skyway would have much higher ridership, even if it never expanded past 2.5 to 5 miles in total system length. Today, we still don't put much thought into coordinating land use. As a result, it's more realistic to expect a similar outcome than one that will be totally different.

4. Changing demographics - There's nothing wrong with technology or innovation, but make sure we know and understand our local demographic make-up and trends in comparison with whatever is being planned to serve it. At least since 1970, we've been trending more black, hispanic and asian, while our white population moves further away from the core, inner ring suburbs, etc. and into our exburbs and adjacent counties. The press release states the U2C will be the first of its kind in the US and the only similar systems in operation exist in the UK, Switzerland and the Netherlands! That should raise a big red flag as an issue that needs more attention and detailed analysis and focus, IMO. It's sort of like serving only Turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing, green bean casserole and pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. That may fly over in Mandarin or Avondale but you'll get ran out of Grand Park or Moncrief. There, you better show up with an entirely different set of sides, desserts and preparation of meat. We got to know and understand our demographics and how that relates to acceptance of different public investments and mobility solutions.

5 . Capacity - In a world of where you want higher density, more walkability, etc., it's logical to provide transit solutions that can move a higher capacity of people. If all we're talking about is vehicles moving at 25mph and carrying a max of 12 to 15 people (still not sure what happens if a bike user wants to jump on with bikes) and sharing lanes with cars, we can get away with doing nothing. The private sector (lyft, uber, jitneys, etc.) can serve that market better than the public sector can.

I'm supportive of the self-driving car transit program.  The average car today is only used 4% of the time, meaning it must be parked somewhere 96% of the time.  Once self-driving cars are mainstream, the adoption will have far-reaching implications to land use of vast stretches of city land now covered with parking lots and other widespread accommodations for the range of inefficiencies in car use.  If JTA wants to get out in front of this trend on behalf of Jax, then so be it.  People with means will likely use rideshare apps.  The less fortunate will start to use JTA self-driving vehicles that are hopefully inter-linked with traffic signals so that they can operate somewhat like light-rail.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:25:10 AM by jaxnyc79 »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 01:58:28 PM »
I'm supportive of the self-driving car transit program.  The average car today is only used 4% of the time, meaning it must be parked somewhere 96% of the time.  Once self-driving cars are mainstream, the adoption will have far-reaching implications to land use of vast stretches of city land now covered with parking lots and other widespread accommodations for the range of inefficiencies in car use.  If JTA wants to get out in front of this trend on behalf of Jax, then so be it.

I get less caught up on the type of vehicle and more on making sure a system is designed to specifically fight the needs of the population it will be serving. From my understanding, this (the trend you described above) isn't what JTA is doing or specifically responding too. From my daily work in the field, I'd also say we're at least a generation away from a day when self-driving personal vehicles are mainstream. It's not so much about the technology. It's more related to everything else....politics, equity issues, funding roadway infrastructure upgrades, etc. We're still on the path for having a critical shortage of truck drivers by 2026. From a technology standpoint, one would think professions like truck driving would be on an endangered species list. Also, nothing we're doing now would be considered "getting ahead of the trend" in regards to AV technology. Other cities in the country have already tested AV transit vehicles in real life conditions. Gainesville and Tampa are likely to beat us to the punch as well. When you think about it, what's stopping us from putting these things out on Bay Street today? We don't need to touch the Skyway to do that. Our getting ahead would be tearing up our fixed transit system and replacing it with AVs. However, there's no national trend. It's basically us......which is pretty scary.

People with means will likely use rideshare apps.  The less fortunate will start to use JTA self-driving vehicles that are hopefully inter-linked with traffic signals so that they can operate somewhat like light-rail.

Currently, the U2C's path avoids the less fortunate and transit dependent and targets areas with potential users that already have the means to use rideshare apps. Also, to operate like LRT, a system would need dedicated lanes or ROW. Otherwise, the time reliability, efficiency and overall safety of said system dramatically decreases, regardless of the technology (AVs, bus, streetcar, LRT, etc.) selected.

One thing I'm still highly interested in hearing about is the type of capacity we'd need in the event the urban core was a vibrant one? Right now, the AVs being looked at have less capacity than the existing Skyway. Depending on what that real max capacity number is, we'd need larger transit vehicles and dedicated lanes/ROW to keep them from clogging up the streets with regular vehicular traffic.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 02:00:01 PM »
I'm supportive of the self-driving car transit program.  The average car today is only used 4% of the time, meaning it must be parked somewhere 96% of the time.  Once self-driving cars are mainstream, the adoption will have far-reaching implications to land use of vast stretches of city land now covered with parking lots and other widespread accommodations for the range of inefficiencies in car use.  If JTA wants to get out in front of this trend on behalf of Jax, then so be it.  People with means will likely use rideshare apps.  The less fortunate will start to use JTA self-driving vehicles that are hopefully inter-linked with traffic signals so that they can operate somewhat like light-rail.

I totally agree with you on the future transformation of transportation. And I am taking much more of a wait-and-see approach with the "clown" cars than most of the folks on this forum. However, I do agree that sticking to tried-and-true transit would be the far safer move and it in no way would be deficient or diminish whatever technology disruptions we see on the roadways. Fixed rail will always be a solid, complementary method of transportation and it seems like such an obvious and simple next step. For some reason JTA is just all about the new technology and autonomous vehicles...first the Skyway and now U2C.  :-\

Here in Miami the mayors of Miami Beach and Miami are seriously pushing for the same thing to link their cities.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2019, 02:14:08 PM »
I totally agree with you on the future transformation of transportation. And I am taking much more of a wait-and-see approach with the "clown" cars than most of the folks on this forum. However, I do agree that sticking to tried-and-true transit would be the far safer move and it in no way would be deficient or diminish whatever technology disruptions we see on the roadways.

Good points. I think most of the push back the JTA gets locally deals with this. Getting the basics right for people who need better mobility options today won't necessarily mean we won't be behind the eight ball in accommodating disruptions that future technologies may bring.

Here in Miami the mayors of Miami Beach and Miami are seriously pushing for the same thing to link their cities.

Good example. They're exploring the use of a different technology for a connection that doesn't exist today. They aren't talking about ripping up the Metromover, Metrorail, Brightline or Tri-Rail. The Miami/Miami Beach connection would simply be one more tool in the mobility tool box.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2019, 07:02:11 PM »
I totally agree with you on the future transformation of transportation. And I am taking much more of a wait-and-see approach with the "clown" cars than most of the folks on this forum. However, I do agree that sticking to tried-and-true transit would be the far safer move and it in no way would be deficient or diminish whatever technology disruptions we see on the roadways.

Good points. I think most of the push back the JTA gets locally deals with this. Getting the basics right for people who need better mobility options today won't necessarily mean we won't be behind the eight ball in accommodating disruptions that future technologies may bring.

Good example. They're exploring the use of a different technology for a connection that doesn't exist today. They aren't talking about ripping up the Metromover, Metrorail, Brightline or Tri-Rail. The Miami/Miami Beach connection would simply be one more tool in the mobility tool box.

Isn't the U2C just the least painful choice within a variety of binding constraints for the purpose of replacing the failed skyway?  It's what JTA determined to be the best of a bunch of bad options concerning the future of the skyway.  I don't expect the first round of this thing to be anywhere near perfect, but smart transit makes sense, and if robo-vehicles can react to real-time communications they're getting from smart phones regarding location and demand trends and almost anywhere people are gathered can be a node in the network as opposed to a fixed station, then great.

I don't really know what a "Tried-and-true" option would be as it concerns replacing Skyway's existing line given the Skyway has never proven itself to "Tried-and-True" anything.  So the experimentation in transit continues.  Only thing tried and true is dense TOD proximal to nodes in any urban transit network, and ease of access to whatever transit vehicles you want to purchase, including robo-vehicles.  If they happen to be cheaper and more flexible and smarter than the Skyway route, then fine.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 07:09:14 PM by jaxnyc79 »

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2019, 07:25:25 PM »
Isn't the U2C just the least painful choice within a variety of binding constraints for the purpose of replacing the failed skyway?

I would suggest at least two other options:
(1) Convert the track to something like the Highline in NYC
(2) Put it (and all of us) out of its misery and tear it down

JTA will tell you if they don't keep it running for something like 50 years, they have to pay back the Feds millions.  But, hey, this was always considered a demonstration project.  Who would expect that to be maintained once it demonstrated it is a miserable solution for urban public transit?  The silver lining of the Skyway is it clearly proved what not to do!

Also, it is not JTA's fault that the technology is no longer supported.  A perfect excuse for a free walk-away.  I don't think it is fair to expect them to salvage the track alone for the sake of not paying back the Feds.  The AV's are clearly a whole different project.  I am surprised they even qualify, within the spirit of the original funding, as maintaining the Skyway.

Consider, too, from an economic standpoint, subsidies for operating and maintaining whatever remains of the Skyway may now exceed the potential "penalty" the Feds might claim.

Lastly, from a political point, I doubt the Feds would enforce (at least, full penalty) collection after over 30 years of failure.  Haven't we already suffered enough?  Since Curry is great friends with Trump, he should be able to leverage that and assure JTA is off the hook.  He owes that to JTA for all the bones they have thrown to his pal, Shad Khan  8).

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2019, 07:30:51 PM »
Isn't the U2C just the least painful choice within a variety of binding constraints for the purpose of replacing the failed skyway?

I do know it's what JTA prefers to explore but I don't know if it is the least painful choice. That's sort of a loaded answer depending on several factors.

Tried-and-true transit is why we have the First Coast Flyer no?

Although we call it BRT locally, in reality the First Coast Flyer is regular bus service one would expect in any city of significant size. Nothing special but certainly needed as a part of a multimodal mix of transportation options within the region.

But the U2C is altogether something different I thought.  It's what they determined to be the best of a bunch of bad options concerning the future of the skyway.

It's what they want to sell to the community. However, none of the options are truly bad. Replacing old rolling stock with new rolling stock isn't a bad option. It's one that every mass transit line of age must do at some point.  It just happened with Metromover and Metrorail in Miami a few years back. Replacing old rolling stock with new rolling stock that can operate on the existing Skyway infrastructure and operate at grade so the routes can be extended isn't a bad option either. The RTA's Blue and Green Lines in Cleveland are old early 20th century streetcar routes that were replaced with LRT vehicles. The type of rolling stock isn't necessarily the issue. The challenges are the routes, penetrating areas where decent population density exists, having dedicated ROW for timing, reliability, efficiency, understanding needed capacity, coordinating land use policies for TOD, etc....basically the traditional things that you must hit on for your operation to be viable and successful long term.

I don't expect the first round of this thing to be anywhere near perfect, but smart transit makes sense, and if robo-vehicles can react to real-time communications it's getting from smart phones regarding location and demand trends, without the nasty attitudes and laziness of drivers, then I'm intrigued to give it a shot.

I haven't heard anything about this being the reason for the U2C. What you're intrigued by is not exactly what we may get.

I don't really know what a "Tried-and-true" option would be as it concerns what to do next with the Skyway, given the Skyway has never been quite tried and true.

Tried-and-true elements would include going where the highest population densities are, having supportive land use policies to encourage high density development around stops, tying into existing major destinations (especially those with parking or development constraints), dedicated ROW to make transit a competitive option via speed, time, safety and reliability, vehicles with the necessary capacity for the environment served, etc. These are things you really want to hit on regardless of the technology.

My point about the less fortunate isn't going to happen tomorrow, but I'm assuming JTA is trying out the tech for now, and would have the flexibility to expand routes involving the Robo-Vehicles to less fortunate communities.

Responding to equity isn't about testing tech now and dealing with the most transit dependent last. That's more of a cope out that can be avoided altogether with good planning.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2019, 07:35:31 PM »
I have forgotten, did JTA's analysis that yielded the U2C recommendation consider converting the elevated structure to accommodate typical light-rail vehicles?  They could then be ramped down to street level to provide LRT (or streetcar, etc.) into the first ring neighborhoods, and beyond.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2019, 08:01:02 PM »
I would suggest at least two other options:
(1) Convert the track to something like the Highline in NYC
(2) Put it (and all of us) out of its misery and tear it down

I'd go another route:

(1) It ain't the Highline and our context isn't NYC's. The infrastructure isn't wide enough for a Highline type application and our environment is more demanding of an "Underline" to protect users from the elements of our tropical climate.

(2) Some of us actually use it and don't consider it a misery. From personal experience, if you work in downtown, you can save $1000 to $1200 annually by parking just north of Rosa Parks or south of Kings Avenue Station and using it for your last mile to avoid paying for parking.

On the other hand, the real misery is our inability to coordinate our transit infrastructure investments with supportive land use policies. That thing is 30 years old now. Any city with brain would have coordinated the construction of nearly all of its significant urban core public investments and major infill adjacent or within walking distance of the transit line. Take a look across the country....Houston, Portland, Charlotte, Orlando, Miami, Dallas, etc. have all been doing this. We still haven't figured it out.

JTA will tell you if they don't keep it running for something like 50 years, they have to pay back the Feds millions.  But, hey, this was always considered a demonstration project.  Who would expect that to be maintained once it demonstrated it is a miserable solution for urban public transit?  The silver lining of the Skyway is it clearly proved what not to do!

The Skyway, like the Landing, the Shipyards, City Hall Annex, etc. all simply prove that we have no idea of how to revitalize downtown. Yet, they all are salvageable.

Also, it is not JTA's fault that the technology is no longer supported.  A perfect excuse for a free walk-away.  I don't think it is fair to expect them to salvage the track alone for the sake of not paying back the Feds.  The AV's are clearly a whole different project.  I am surprised they even qualify, within the spirit of the original funding, as maintaining the Skyway.

Consider, too, from an economic standpoint, subsidies for operating and maintaining whatever remains of the Skyway may now exceed the potential "penalty" the Feds might claim.

Lastly, from a political point, I doubt the Feds would enforce (at least, full penalty) collection after over 30 years of failure.  Haven't we already suffered enough?  Since Curry is great friends with Trump, he should be able to leverage that and assure JTA is off the hook.  He owes that to JTA for all the bones they have thrown to his pal, Shad Khan  8).

As for what to do with the Skyway, I'm in the camp of being perfectly fine with keeping the elevated infrastructure (great asset, IMO) and replacing the existing rolling stock with new rolling stock that can operate at ground level and be further extended into areas of the urban core where people live. However, to accomplish this, I'm also in the camp that believes all of the infrastructure (grade separated or not) needs to be Skyway, U2C, or whatever we want to call it-only and that we should have land use policies and strategies that fuel significantly higher density development around its routes. From past research, I believe this can be accomplished via streetcar, AVs or some ultra light version of LRT. Doing such does not hamper us from any technological disruptions that may occur in the future.

https://www.2getthere.eu/grt-vehicle-automated-minibus/

With that said, 2getthere’s 3rd generation GRT autonomous shuttle is about the largest comparable AV transit vehicle out there to what JTA appears to be shooting for. It can get a max of about 24 people per vehicle. Two challenges that I do see with these things is getting bikes on them and being about to run them in train sets to move large crowds during sporting events, festivals and such. However, I'm sure these are things that will be resolved by the industry in due time. Anyway, with dedicated lanes or ROW, you give yourself a ton of options to play with that attempting to mix in with regular traffic will not allow.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:16:56 PM by thelakelander »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2019, 08:06:30 PM »
I have forgotten, did JTA's analysis that yielded the U2C recommendation consider converting the elevated structure to accommodate typical light-rail vehicles?  They could then be ramped down to street level to provide LRT (or streetcar, etc.) into the first ring neighborhoods, and beyond.

From what I remember, the elevated structure can't support the weight of typical light-rail or modern streetcar vehicles. You'd need something much lighter.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2019, 08:31:47 PM »
Here's the latest vehicle being tested. It holds up to 15.