Author Topic: Proposed Affordable Housing Project Killed By Zoning  (Read 2548 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Proposed Affordable Housing Project Killed By Zoning
« on: January 09, 2019, 06:23:58 AM »

Affordable housing gets dealt a blow with the rejection of developer's proposal.

Full article: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/proposed-affordable-housing-project-killed-by-zoning/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

Re: Proposed Affordable Housing Project Killed By Zoning
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 08:22:51 AM »
Need to get this to all the City Council candidates, along with an ask for endorsement of these policies.

remc86007

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 09:19:33 AM »
Great article!

Captain Zissou

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 09:31:51 AM »
The absolutely insane thing about this is that in highly desirable locations like Brooklyn, the city bends over backward to accommodate developers  because "something like this may not come along again".  In run down areas we turn these developments down thinking that a better opportunity might come along.  It's MADNESS.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 09:43:59 AM »
Great article indeed. Another example that illustrates how out-of-date and restraining our zoning code has become. It not only negatively impacts downtown revitalization, it hurts both urban core and suburban areas as well. It's time for Jax to move into the 21st century and scrap and revise this thing.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxnyc79

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 11:49:06 AM »
The archaic zoning code appears to be on no policymaker’s agenda in Jax.
I’m familiar with that interchange - remember staying at one of those hotels in the early 2000s during FL/GA weekend.  How this gets denied is baffling to me, unless the department knows something about this developer’s track record.  Plenty of affordable housing providers are the worst kind of opportunist - bilking the poor and exploiting their limited options.  Multi-family developments need ongoing property management and refurbishment - especially given the living intensity.  It’s important not to swap out one kind of blight for another.  However, I read nothing in the piece suggesting the planning commission looked into this developer’s other projects in other cities and whether they remained well-kempt.

Having lived in Manhattan many years, to me density betokens beauty and vibrancy.  In auto-centric Jax, density often looks unsightly and haphazard.  If neighborhood groups could trust a comprehensive set of design standards county-wide, perhaps they wouldn’t be so opposed to more liberal land use policies.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:53:36 AM by jaxnyc79 »

Bill Hoff

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 04:34:55 PM »
I pass by that site regularly. It really is a great location for affordable housing. Seeing as there were hotels there previously, difficult to understand how it wouldn't be a similar use.

MusicMan

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 05:29:40 PM »
I wonder if a FOL  (friend of Lenny) were pursuing this project, would they have gotten the green light?

Papa33

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 02:33:11 PM »
To those who know more about local government, land use etc . . . what does the developer/investor do next (assuming they want to continue to pursue?)  I don't believe another hotel will be put on this site (at least not my lifetime).

Kiva

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 05:27:10 PM »
Great article indeed. Another example that illustrates how out-of-date and restraining our zoning code has become. It not only negatively impacts downtown revitalization, it hurts both urban core and suburban areas as well. It's time for Jax to move into the 21st century and scrap and revise this thing.
This is a great example of how idiotic the zoning can be. Who would not want to replace a derelict group of buildings with something that people actually live in? Oh, I know, DUUUUVVAAAAAL!

jaxnyc79

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 05:33:37 PM »
...and not just derelict, but derelict in an incredibly high-profile spot for the city - right at a busy interchange off I-95.

acme54321

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 07:29:48 PM »
...and not just derelict, but derelict in an incredibly high-profile spot for the city - right at a busy interchange off I-95.

Incredibly high profile?  That's a stretch.  First, you can't even see it from the interstate, or University.  Second, you'd pass a lot of shitty buildings before running in to this on the and you'd pretty much have to try to get to it. 

There may be more to this than any of us know and honestly, I could care less.  If this was one of the junky hotels along Philips at Atlantic I'd feel differently.  Has anyone seen a rendering of what they were proposing at the site?  I'm positive you'd be underwhelmed.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 09:46:14 PM »

Incredibly high profile?  That's a stretch.  First, you can't even see it from the interstate, or University.  Second, you'd pass a lot of shitty buildings before running in to this on the and you'd pretty much have to try to get to it. 

There may be more to this than any of us know and honestly, I could care less.  If this was one of the junky hotels along Philips at Atlantic I'd feel differently.  Has anyone seen a rendering of what they were proposing at the site?  I'm positive you'd be underwhelmed.

Actually, yes you can see it from I-95.  I see it each time I'm down there and driving along the interstate headed to the Southside.  Nothing about the site or the zones around that interchange really stand out because much of what lines I-95 north of Butler is indeed pretty crummy.  So yes, this abandoned building and an array of other structures along I-95 are high-profile symbols of relative stagnation in Jax.

If you could care less, why bother posting. 

I-10east

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 10:08:24 PM »
Well atleast that part of Brooklyn will be proposed (AKA the 'mixed income' section of SoDoSoPa).

acme54321

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 10:08:55 PM »
You're right, I'm sure if you look hard through a bunch of trees you can probably see it.  Either way your comment that this is an incredibly high profile structure is absurd.