Author Topic: History of "Villages of San Jose" community along San Jose Blvd?  (Read 389 times)

fanbphm

I'm a new resident of Jax and have recently purchased a home in the Villages of San Jose residential community, along San Jose just a bit north of Baymeadows and just south of San Jose Country Club.  It appears the first homes in this gated development were constructed in the early 1980's.  I'm just curious about the history of this tract of land.  There is a pretty large body of water within the development that is used for retention and aesthetics, but it gives the appearance that it might have predated the development.  Anybody out there know the background and history on this area of Jacksonville?  Thanks in advance for any and all info, I'd be fascinated to hear from all!

jaxlongtimer

Re: History of "Villages of San Jose" community along San Jose Blvd?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 09:58:09 PM »
Fanpbhm, welcome to Jacksonville and the Jaxson.

I can help you out.  Villages of San Jose is built on the golf course of the former Beauclerc Country Club.  The club, built in the mid 1950's, primarily served the Jewish community during a period when Jews weren't welcome at most other Jacksonville clubs.  The long gone club house, pool, etc. sat where the Jewish Community Alliance (JCA) sits now, a phoenix arising from the remnants of the club community.  You are correct that the Villages was a product of the 1980's.  If you look up your home/condo on the Duval County Property Appraiser, you can find out exactly what year it was built from their data base.

The water features you refer to relate to those from the days of the golf course although the developer likely modified them for the Villages.  The developer was Peter Bos who also initiated the first phases of Lake Mandarin and L'Atrium in Ponte Vedra before going on to find success in developing the resort of Sandestin on the Florida panhandle.  From what I have heard, the financial backers of Bos lost millions on developing the Villages and others completed the project (and the others 8)) he started.

If you want a feel for how the Villages land looked like before the Villages, just trot on over to the nearby golf course at San Jose Country Club.  Same type of terrain.

fanbphm

Re: History of "Villages of San Jose" community along San Jose Blvd?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 10:14:48 AM »
jaxlongtimer, I love your reply, and thank you so much!  Somebody suggested to me that it was possibly a golf course, but I couldn't wrap my head around that, being next door to SJCC, it just seemed strange to have two courses side by side (unless they were part of the same ownership).  I would love to learn more about Jax history such as this. 

I'm from Ocala, and I actually lived here for a couple of years after college in the 1970's, but I don't recall a bunch about the area. It was my first real job when I moved here, I worked in an office complex called Executive Center (I think) off Beach Blvd. My only memory to speak of, and it's odd, is that there was a Van Fletcher's Derby House restaurant nearby!  Thanks again.