Author Topic: 2019 Mayoral election  (Read 10718 times)

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
Re: 2019 Mayoral election
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2019, 02:35:26 PM »
Definitely pushing Curry's attempt to sell the JEA and lose the price controls Jacksonville currently enjoys.  She derailed that effort as council president but the effort continues.
"If it was that bad she would have reported it" Donald Trump

Kiva

« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2019, 03:47:27 PM »
Is the ad available online anywhere?

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2019, 04:13:39 PM »

Just search for Curry’s Crime Wave on YouTube. You might need to turn your sound down due to all of the gunfire :)

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2019, 04:35:22 PM »

Just search for Curry’s Crime Wave on YouTube. You might need to turn your sound down due to all of the gunfire :)

Just watched it....whoa. Talk about trying to scare people into voting for her. Good god.

Though, it’s not officially her ad.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:37:06 PM by Steve »

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2019, 08:16:47 PM »
If you want to scare me do a commercial for clear a DT lot Curry. Sponsored by surface parking.
"If it was that bad she would have reported it" Donald Trump

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2019, 11:52:46 AM »
Love the timing here:

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/state-attorney-finds-thousands-of-calls-but-files-no-charges-in-city-council-sunshine-law-investigation

My favorite Quote from the actual State Attorney's Report:

Heavener said in the report that the State Attorney’s Office did not pursue Sunshine Law violation charges because investigators could not see the content of the communications.

“We could never establish beyond a reasonable doubt that any one call or any group of particular calls violated Florida Sunshine Law,” the report said.

“Common sense dictates that Council members do not spend 62 hours, 74 hours, and 38 hours on the phone with other council members discussing simple scheduling matters or irregular personal matters,” the report concluded.

While the timing is certainly "coincidental", that doesn't mean the calls didn't happen.

CityLife

« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2019, 12:41:41 PM »
Timing or not, the only reason Brosche and others did not get formally charged is because there is no written record of their interactions and because nobody admitted to the violations. As the report stated, they were in all likelihood guilty, just could not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt in court. Take that as you will, but essentially the report said that Brosche and company lied.

This is completely unacceptable behavior and a serious violation of public trust from Brosche and other council members. It could possibly open the City up to legal action as well. I'm a registered lobbyist and if a project was denied that I was working on that both Brosche and Dennis voted no on, I think there is now a strong basis of an appeal due to their clear violation of Sunshine Law (criminal charges or not).

I'm neutral on Curry, but Brosche should immediately drop out of the Mayoral race.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2019, 12:44:02 PM »
Florida Politics

Survey shows Lenny Curry winning Jacksonville Mayor re-election
If the election for Jacksonville Mayor were being held today, Republican Lenny Curry would be elected, per a new survey from St Pete Polls.

By A.G. Gancarski on February 13, 2019
If the Jacksonville mayoral election were today, Republican Lenny Curry would be elected outright, per a new survey from St Pete Polls.

The poll reveals Curry has a sizable lead over opponents Anna Brosche, Jimmy Hill, and Omega Allen.

Curry is the choice of 58 percent of those surveyed (a number that would end the race in March if it holds). Twenty percent favor Brosche, Hill four percent, and Allen three percent.

Though Brosche has been courting Democratic support, Curry (a former head of the Republican Party of Florida) carries the demographic with a 43-28 percent advantage over his challenger.

Curry also enjoys 55 percent support from Independents and 75 percent support from Republicans.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/288219-survey-shows-lenny-curry-winning-jacksonville-mayor-re-election
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

CityLife

« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2019, 12:54:34 PM »
I know Jimmy Hill well, and while he doesn't have a chance to win, he is going to absolutely destroy Brosche about the Sunshine violations if he's allowed to be at debates. He is a very strong proponent of transparency in local government.

MusicMan

« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2019, 06:09:54 PM »
45 minutes ago I drove through downtown past the new library. The vacant lot/park behind it was teeming with homeless people. It was sad and awful to look at. 

Is there a Mayoral candidate anywhere who can fix that issue?  Or do the Mayoral candidates even see that as an issue?  You wanna see downtown making big strides you have to tackle that problem....

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2019, 06:16:40 PM »
Mayor Peyton should have never built it. We actually met with and told them and the JEDC this would be the outcome over a decade ago. That spot got worse when they chased people out of Hemming a year or two ago. Now the latest plan is to turn it into a dog park. That plan is pretty silly too, considering the amount of traffic travelling through there.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

MusicMan

« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2019, 06:44:09 PM »
I'm not surprised.

Honestly most dogs have it better than those poor folks.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2019, 08:02:02 PM »
45 minutes ago I drove through downtown past the new library. The vacant lot/park behind it was teeming with homeless people. It was sad and awful to look at. 

Is there a Mayoral candidate anywhere who can fix that issue?  Or do the Mayoral candidates even see that as an issue?  You wanna see downtown making big strides you have to tackle that problem....

Churches & other do-gooder groups from all over visit the park to provide handouts on the weekends. All the homeless folks are aware, and they go where the handouts are.

MusicMan

« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2019, 11:42:24 AM »
Bill, If that's really the case then the city should put a full service homeless shelter with a work training program (masonry, welding, etc...) out by Cecil Field.

Problem solved.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2019, 11:44:21 AM »

What exaclty is  the issue?   are you looking for an end to homelessness?  something else?