Author Topic: 2019 Mayoral election  (Read 2996 times)

Kiva

2019 Mayoral election
« on: December 21, 2018, 08:41:10 PM »
So Anna Brosche is likely to run against Lenny Curry. Does she realistically have chance given his $3 million campaign chest? http://news.wjct.org/post/councilwoman-anna-lopez-brosche-takes-another-look-challenging-mayor-curry

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: 2019 Mayoral election
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 09:32:35 PM »
No. But she’d get 30% or more of the vote even without a lot of money.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

KenFSU

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 11:30:58 PM »
I like Anna Brosche, but I honestly think Curry's untouchable in the next election.

Snaketoz

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 09:11:09 AM »
I agree.  It will be a tough challenge for Brosche to overcome Curry's money, but that maybe a positive point for her.  Curry came out of nowhere with big dollar backers to win in the last election.  He ran on crime, getting things done, and a new era for Jacksonville.  What has he done?  He has rubber stamped everything Kahn presents, pushed for fat cat interests, botched the Landing fixes, and crime has increased.  He has squandered money on gunshot locaters, and is now calling for drones in the fight against crime.  We don't need these gimmicks, we need police on the streets fighting crime, not watching monitors and flying drones.  Let's show Curry that effort and reason can overcome big money.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 09:26:45 AM »
Curry’s got $2-3 million in hand to define both himself and his challenger(s). Most of the big money people have lined up with him so no challenger has an opportunity to fundraise. Especially another Republican who’ll have no access to outside money. His successes and challengers’ weaknesses will be easy to play up and define in such a lopsided campaign. That said, if anyone challenges him seriously, they’re going to get 30%+ of the vote.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Snaketoz

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 10:33:43 AM »
Curry’s got $2-3 million in hand to define both himself and his challenger(s). Most of the big money people have lined up with him so no challenger has an opportunity to fundraise. Especially another Republican who’ll have no access to outside money. His successes and challengers’ weaknesses will be easy to play up and define in such a lopsided campaign. That said, if anyone challenges him seriously, they’re going to get 30%+ of the vote.
Sad, but true.  It's gotten to the point where we elect people not by their virtues, but by how many ads, robo calls, and anonymous Pac dollars they produce.  Curry has a huge advantage over any opponent.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 10:26:26 AM »

Councilwoman Brosche Files To Run Against Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry
By BILL BORTZFIELD • 20 MINUTES AGO
Tweet
Google+
Email
Jacksonville City Councilwoman Anna Lopez Brosche filed her paperwork Friday morning at the Duval County Supervisor of Elections to run for mayor.  VIEW SLIDESHOW 1 of 2
Jacksonville City Councilwoman Anna Lopez Brosche filed her paperwork Friday morning at the Duval County Supervisor of Elections to run for mayor.
NEWS4JAX

It’s official. City Councilwoman and former City Council President Anna Lopez Brosche is running against incumbent Mayor Lenny Curry.

On this last day of qualifying to run, Brosche filed her paperwork with the Duval County Supervisor of Elections.

We’ll have much more on this story throughout the day.

Bill Bortzfield can be reached at bbortzfield@wjct.org, 904-358-6349 or on Twitter at @BortzInJax.

http://news.wjct.org/post/councilwoman-brosche-files-run-against-jacksonville-mayor-lenny-curry

JPalmer

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 10:44:29 AM »
Hmmmm, wonder if her filing doesn't get approved by the noon deadline.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 12:46:16 PM »
^Nope. She has qualified.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 01:37:33 PM »
Mayor Curry's campaign quickly responded with a statement from a bipartisan group of high-profile Curry supporters denouncing Brosche’s campaign. City Council President Aaron Bowman, former mayor and current Councilman Tommy Hazouri, Councilman Bill Gulliford, Councilwoman Lori Boyer and Councilman Sam Newby jointly issued the following statement via Curry spokesman Tim Baker:

"Each of us has the privilege to serve Jacksonville in a leadership position. We know what it takes to effectively lead people, earn the respect of those you serve with, and encourage collaboration and cooperation to bring results for those who we represent. That is the leadership style of Lenny Curry and why we endorse his re-election as our mayor.

"We have also served in public office with Councilmember Brosche and see the campaign she’s announced today as simply the latest demonstration of leadership failure. After spending months sewing division and conflict in City Council, she now wants that negativity spread citywide. As Council President the agenda she promised was almost completely unrealized. As a Councilmember, Brosche has been absent from important efforts, most recently a bipartisan push to make Jacksonville safer.

"Being absent from the most important discussions of our city’s future is not the way to see a brighter future for Jacksonville. As our mayor, Lenny Curry is present and leading. Whether it’s on the issue of public safety, a solution for the pension crisis to fortify our financial future, or a focus on job creation and economic development, Lenny Curry leads.

"Mayor Curry has earned our respect and our vote, and he deserves to be re-elected."

WOW - Running against an unopposed candidate is a leadership failure?  I mean, political competition is vital, and given voters only go to the polls every 4 years, an opposing voice and viewpoint should always be presented to voters even if for no other reason than to give voters food for thought.  If voters choose the incumbent, the political competition during the election process should only help to make them even more resolved in their choice of the status quo. 

It's fine if these councilmembers want to throw their support behind the Mayor, but this release where they appear to be denouncing the idea of a challenge to Curry, is disappointing.  What a bunch of knuckleheads.  I said a nice thing about Lori Boyer yesterday.  I take it back.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 01:42:37 PM by jaxnyc79 »

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 01:51:06 PM »
It's the definition game. Expect to see both of them out there hardcore this weekend, trying to define themselves and each other. As my old man says, they who define first, define last.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 02:09:15 PM »
I don't live in Jax, so can't really gauge, but what's people's perception of the state of the state there.  The unemployment rate is certainly quite low.  There's construction, although it appears unevenly distributed and the biggest examples of it appear to be road projects, but is there the sense that things are abuzz in Jax.  Are the good times rolling?  When I'm there, it feels quite slow and stagnant.  More so than it did back in the early 2000s, when I did live there (or close by whilst attending UF). 

vicupstate

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 03:38:44 PM »
The divisiveness and partisanship that Curry has brought was exactly what I expected from someone that had no experience in politics, except as a party hack.  Peyton was similar albeit not as extreme.

Brosche should prepare for an onslaught of mud, headed her way. I hope she has been laying the groundwork for this campaign for awhile, otherwise she is going to be caught flat footed.     
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

downtownbrown

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 03:46:00 PM »
I don't live in Jax, so can't really gauge, but what's people's perception of the state of the state there.  The unemployment rate is certainly quite low.  There's construction, although it appears unevenly distributed and the biggest examples of it appear to be road projects, but is there the sense that things are abuzz in Jax.  Are the good times rolling?  When I'm there, it feels quite slow and stagnant.  More so than it did back in the early 2000s, when I did live there (or close by whilst attending UF).
to me the short answer is no.  But that may change on January 20th when the courthouse annex is imploded.  Cranes in the air on Berkman, J lot, ramps...all of that will move the needle.  In my view things like the Trio and the Ambassador just aren't exciting the imagination of Jacksonville at the moment.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 03:47:09 PM »
I used to respect each of those council members.
"She now wants to spread this negativity citywide."  Uh, who was running negative ads against Council Member Brosche, even before she qualified to run for Mayor? (and I really hope the Jeopardy! folks slap Curry's folks down hard for copyright, or whatever, infringement)