Author Topic: 2019 Mayoral election  (Read 10719 times)

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
Re: 2019 Mayoral election
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2019, 12:50:13 PM »
To me the most interesting storyline of this mayoral election is the Dems not having a candidate.  The Dems just won Jax with Governor, Senate and Ag commissioner but the local politicos weren't set to keep the momentum going.  Brosche looks like the beneficiary.

I have to think the lack of a Dem is a major reason she ran (and waited as long as she did) and will hope to get a ton of dem support.

I still don’t like her chances but unless she has some unexpectedly awful positions (like she is anti-donut ), she has my vote.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2019, 12:52:15 PM »
To me the most interesting storyline of this mayoral election is the Dems not having a candidate.  The Dems just won Jax with Governor, Senate and Ag commissioner but the local politicos weren't set to keep the momentum going.  Brosche looks like the beneficiary.

I agree, and I can't figure out why the local Dems didn't find a single viable candidate. It really makes no sense to be honest.

I know some of the Dems that I know want to learn more about Brosche so I think you're right in that regard.

I'm trying to learn more about her myself, but what I've found so far is that she isn't Curry and thinks Curry sucks.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2019, 01:04:43 PM »
^It’s very telling. Duval went blue in 3 of the 5 statewide elections, but the local Dems couldn’t even field a mayoral candidate.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

jaxnyc79

« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2019, 01:10:19 PM »

I agree, and I can't figure out why the local Dems didn't find a single viable candidate. It really makes no sense to be honest.

I know some of the Dems that I know want to learn more about Brosche so I think you're right in that regard.

I'm trying to learn more about her myself, but what I've found so far is that she isn't Curry and thinks Curry sucks.

Jax appears to be a meaningful element in the national democratic strategy, but appears to have questionable organization locally.  I feel Dems as an entity have little to no voice locally, and rarely give a “Democratic” counterpoint to positions coming out of a mostly Republican power structure.  While the gubernatorial race suggests Jax may be trending ever so slightly democratic, a local race with no national representation at play may drive a completely different kind of turnout than what happened in November.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2019, 01:11:07 PM »

“I can't figure out why the local Dems didn't find a single viable candidate. It really makes no sense to be honest.”

Once the criteria included ‘Not facing fraud charges’, the pool to choose from got pretty thin.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2019, 01:15:54 PM »
The Dems thought councilman Garett Denis was going to run and got caught flat footed when he didn't.
"If it was that bad she would have reported it" Donald Trump

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2019, 01:30:37 PM »
The Dems thought councilman Garett Denis was going to run and got caught flat footed when he didn't.

So they had 1 person with no backup? Wow.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2019, 04:54:06 PM »
The article in the Daily Record says Lori Boyer endorses Curry.... a bit of a surprise, but I trust her judgement on most things.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/jacksonville-mayoral-election-brosche-challenges-curry

Bill Hoff

« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2019, 04:58:06 PM »
The article in the Daily Record says Lori Boyer endorses Curry.... a bit of a surprise, but I trust her judgement on most things.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/jacksonville-mayoral-election-brosche-challenges-curry

She doesn't want to end up like Bill Bishop. Thus, fall in line if you want a future.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2019, 05:27:15 PM »

She's after the DIA CEO job, and anything short of proactive, enthusiastic support for Curry's candidacy would disqualify her from consideration should he win.  In fact, I can just imagine Curry's peremptory order to the bi-partisan group of council members: "get out in front of any Brosche momentum with a full-throated endorsement of my 2nd term, or you and your advocacy get nothing."

On a serious note, did no one like Brosche on the Council, or are the Council members who issued the statement just reacting to the tactics of an imperious incumbent?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2019, 06:06:16 PM »

She's after the DIA CEO job, and anything short of proactive, enthusiastic support for Curry's candidacy would disqualify her from consideration should he win.  In fact, I can just imagine Curry's peremptory order to the bi-partisan group of council members: "get out in front of any Brosche momentum with a full-throated endorsement of my 2nd term, or you and your advocacy get nothing."

On a serious note, did no one like Brosche on the Council, or are the Council members who issued the statement just reacting to the tactics of an imperious incumbent?

Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Kiva

« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2019, 06:50:07 PM »

I'm thinking that "imperious incumbent" was the major reason!

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2019, 11:05:41 AM »
Okay, this can't be the case but this is what I see when it comes to websites:

- Curry's Website seems to only be a form to sign up or donate
 - Brosche doesn't seem to have a website

This can't be, can it?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2019, 11:09:40 AM »
UPDATE: Found Brosche's site. Literally, I couldn't find it when I googled, "anna brosche for mayor". Not great from an SEO perspective.

Now, the website lists nothing on platform. I genuinely wanted to learn more about her platform, since it can't just be "Curry Sucks."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:25:39 AM by Steve »

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2019, 01:58:12 PM »
UPDATE: Found Brosche's site. Literally, I couldn't find it when I googled, "anna brosche for mayor". Not great from an SEO perspective.

Now, the website lists nothing on platform. I genuinely wanted to learn more about her platform, since it can't just be "Curry Sucks."

She has been doing a lot of small events but am not sure what she is pushing besides the Curry Crime Wave. Maybe she is still struggling with trying to strike the right balance in going so hard after Dem votes.

That was quite the first tv ad, though. If that is her version of “just getting started”, it might be time to load up on some popcorn.