Author Topic: 2019 Mayoral election  (Read 10353 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: 2019 Mayoral election
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 09:36:30 AM »
She's on WJCT with Melissa Ross right now.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 10:07:10 AM »
My biggest issues with Brosche is so far, her campaign is, "Curry Sucks". I need more than that.

Exactly... Lemme hear something substantial...

She definitely needs to expound upon what she wants to do, but she has thrown out some good ideas already. Most important I think is she understands that solving the crime problem in Jacksonville takes more that just throwing a bunch of money at JSO. She wants to take a more community based approach to crime that could be more effective. She also mentioned zero based budgeting, and I would like to here her say more about that idea and how it would be implemented.

Here’s the challenge with crime prevention from the mayor’s office: The Mayor doesn’t appoint the Sheriff. While her community improvement ideas may or may not be good, there’s no requirement that the Sheriff align with it. Now the Mayor has control over the budget, so that’s something, but also means that she needs to show she can build a consensus and working relationship. I’ve not seen that yet.

vicupstate

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 10:11:30 AM »
Now the Mayor has control over the budget, so that’s something, but also means that she needs to show she can build a consensus and working relationship. I’ve not seen that yet.

Controlling the budget is pretty big incentive to at least listen to whatever a Mayor has to say, if you are the Sheriff. Of course, it can't just be a one way street. 

Has Curry shown he can build consensus and a working relationship? He seems pretty 'my way of the highway' to me.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2019, 10:20:41 AM »
Now the Mayor has control over the budget, so that’s something, but also means that she needs to show she can build a consensus and working relationship. I’ve not seen that yet.

Controlling the budget is pretty big incentive to at least listen to whatever a Mayor has to say, if you are the Sheriff. Of course, it can't just be a one way street. 

Has Curry shown he can build consensus and a working relationship? He seems pretty 'my way of the highway' to me.

His consensus building isn’t ideal. I can’t tell the relationship with Sheriff Williams

Snaketoz

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2019, 10:30:31 AM »
My biggest issues with Brosche is so far, her campaign is, "Curry Sucks". I need more than that.
Well, at least Brosche seems to be honest so far.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 10:51:28 AM »
Jaxnyc, many of her positions are so to the left, I thought that she was a Democrat, my bad. I'm not a fan of wasting money trying to erase history with taking down statues for virtue signal points. Concerning furthering LGBT agenda, I'm cool with, as long as it's nothing too loony like losing your job, or going to jail for accidentally misgendering someone.

If you wanna call me a right winger for not obeying the San Francisco/Silicon Valley pernicious agenda (like muh toxic masculinity)  then fine. Was I a 'right winger' before I made the mistake of voting for the most divisive president in modern US history (Obama) twice? Everyone outside of UC Berkeley is a 'right winger' these days....

What positions are so "to the left?"  In fact, one of the issues she'll run into is that apart from being at loggerheads with Curry publicly because of what I believe to be style clashes, she's pretty much voted for his signature achievements and for his annual budgets.  As for confederate statues - well they took money to get erected, they most likely take money to maintain, and so if they get taken down or if their locations get consolidated into one place, you probably reduce operating cash flows over time and position them so that they're historical references to be studied and not symbols to be celebrated.  That's not such a radical idea, unless the very idea of appearing to capitulate to an issue important to blacks is so subconsciously off-putting, that you'll find any reason to stonewall on the matter. 

No idea what you're talking about on the San Fran/Silicon Valley pernicious agenda.  If you're frustrated that almost every kind of technology and data innovation that is changing your very existence seems to derive from the brains of that region, then OK. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:53:46 AM by jaxnyc79 »

vicupstate

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 10:58:27 AM »
well they took money to get erected, they most likely take money to maintain,

Considering this is Jacksonville, that last part is dubious.

Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't the biggest conflict between Curry and Brosche been the effort to privatize JEA?

If so, she deserves some credit for stopping that almost railroaded proposal.

If I were running her campaign, that would be issue #1. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

jaxnyc79

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2019, 11:45:38 AM »
well they took money to get erected, they most likely take money to maintain,

Considering this is Jacksonville, that last part is dubious.

Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't the biggest conflict between Curry and Brosche been the effort to privatize JEA?

If so, she deserves some credit for stopping that almost railroaded proposal.

If I were running her campaign, that would be issue #1.

Yes, you're right, that has been the biggest and most public point of contention between them.  I believe her platform may need more depth than just JEA given the Mayor never went on record as officially supporting a sale (or did he?), rather he wanted the council to take up a consideration of the sale given the study's estimates of transaction value to the city.

Snaketoz

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 01:40:50 PM »
If the JEA fiasco isn't enough she should use what Boy Wonder used ad nauseum against Brown.  That would be crime.  It's not gotten any better since he was elected, and may be worse.  In the last mayoral election, Curry was so tongue-tied and unprepared, it's amazing he won.  I think Brosche should challenge him to as many debates as possible and allow Curry to display how completely undeserving he is to be mayor.

Kiva

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 08:10:28 PM »

His consensus building isn’t ideal.
Ideal? How about non-existent? For Lenny Curry it really is "do it my way, or else!"

I-10east

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2019, 10:52:08 PM »
I made a mistake guys, geez...Anna Brosche is a Republican (that info isn't available on the COJ website, wikipedia, or hardly anywhere but local news). To all of you saying "what leftist positions Anna has?" Show me another person that wanna erase history in the South, and go all in with LGBT related issues (not that it's anything wrong with that ) that's a conservative? Show me another person, and I will apologize.

Most conservatives now days regarding LGBT will vaguely say "we will not discriminate against anyone" sorta like a Curry. Look at Trump, is he some moral traditional conservative saying "and man is made for a woman, and vice versa" Nope! He didn't give a damn about 80s tradcon wedge issues. 

Charles Hunter

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2019, 11:35:28 PM »
First Coast News gave Lenny a nice three minute commercial, disguised as an "On Your Side" report.  About how crime is going down in Jax, and he put more cops and equipment on the street.
https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/local/mayor-curry-reports-slight-decrease-in-citys-violence-but-not-enough-for-victory-lap/77-2d861da9-f6f9-4d76-a8d4-194621626d6a

Charles Hunter

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2019, 11:36:55 PM »
I made a mistake guys, geez...Anna Brosche is a Republican (that info isn't available on the COJ website, wikipedia, or hardly anywhere but local news). To all of you saying "what leftist positions Anna has?" Show me another person that wanna erase history in the South, and go all in with LGBT related issues (not that it's anything wrong with that ) that's a conservative? Show me another person, and I will apologize.

Most conservatives now days regarding LGBT will vaguely say "we will not discriminate against anyone" sorta like a Curry. Look at Trump, is he some moral traditional conservative saying "and man is made for a woman, and vice versa" Nope! He didn't give a damn about 80s tradcon wedge issues. 

Bet it's on the SOE site.  And any campaign literature/website has to disclose her party.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2019, 11:53:09 PM »

The only area where LGBT issues have come up is the human rights ordinance. Brosche was one of 7 Republicans who voted for it. 2 of the 3 sponsors of the bill were Republicans. It was also strongly supported by the heavily Republican Chamber of Commerce.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2019, 08:40:53 AM »
Show me another person that wanna erase history in the South, and go all in with LGBT related issues (not that it's anything wrong with that ) that's a conservative?

Removing monuments that depict people warring against the United States of America as heroes is not trying to erase history.  Put up as many historical markers or monuments relaying the stories of what happened fine. Just don't try to sell me that we should leave up statues meant to be revered of men trying their best to kill Americans and break up my country.
"If it was that bad she would have reported it" Donald Trump