Author Topic: 2019 Mayoral election  (Read 10725 times)

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
Re: 2019 Mayoral election
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2019, 11:09:16 PM »

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2019, 09:30:29 PM »
Wonderful Forum discourse.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2019, 01:10:53 AM »
Well, this is over. Long Live Lenny?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2019, 08:42:30 AM »
It might have been closer but from my perspective, Brosche ran the worst campaign on earth. It was literally, “Curry sucks, vote for me.” Hillary Clinton proved that approach doesn’t work.

CityLife

« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2019, 09:34:38 AM »
Yeah, it was so bad it makes you wonder if it was controlled opposition.

Pretty incredible that there was not a viable Democratic candidate.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2019, 09:43:15 AM »
Looks like Lenny will have a friendly City Council, for the most part.  The pitiful 25% turn out will seem stratospheric for the May run-off, with only two county-wide council races, and a handful of Distrit run-offs.

At-Large Group 1 - Lisa King (D) vs Terrance Freeman (R)
This one should get the most attention from the Curry machine. Lenny removed Lisa King from the Zoning Board because she wasn't friendly enough to developers. Freeman was appointed by Curry's buddy Gov. Scott - even  though Freeman may not have lived in the District he was appointed to represent.

At-Large Group 3 - Tommy Hazouri (D) vs Greg Rachal (R)
Will Curry repay his debt to Hazouri for his endorsement? Or will he stick with the "R"?

District Run-Offs
District 8 - Ju'Coby Pittman vs Tameka Gaines Holly, both Democrats. In a 5 person race, they got, respectively 39% and 27% of the votes.

District 10 - Brenda Priestly Jackson vs Celestine Mills, again two Democrats. Another 5 person race, two were Republicans, with the results of 42% and 21%

District 14 - Randy DeFoor (R) vs Sunny Gettinger (D), out of 4 candidates they got 39% and 28%.  This could be the most interesting District race, as DeFoor is endorsed by Curry, and Gettinger is an advocate of LGBT rights

remc86007

« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2019, 10:14:04 AM »
Why do so many people vote for incumbents? Are people really happy with how things are going?

vicupstate

« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2019, 10:17:08 AM »
The good thing about Curry winning outright is that now we don't have to wait until May to find out what his plans really are.  At least I hope so.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2019, 10:22:47 AM »
I think it was pretty well known he was going to be reelected. They've also been telling people for years what their plans are. Definitely expecting more of the same. We'll just see if the plans finally materialize into reality.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2019, 10:51:23 AM »
I think it was pretty well known he was going to be reelected. They've also been telling people for years what their plans are. Definitely expecting more of the same. We'll just see if the plans finally materialize into reality.

I was specifically referring to some important details like the public pricetag on the Cordish/Lot J plans, as well as making official the decision to move JEA there. Also the pricetag for the park at the Landing. And of course, how to pay for all of this stuff.   

All of that was too sensitive/disruptive to be released before his next term was secured.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2019, 11:58:19 AM »
Looks like Lenny will have a friendly City Council, for the most part.  The pitiful 25% turn out will seem stratospheric for the May run-off, with only two county-wide council races, and a handful of Distrit run-offs.

At-Large Group 1 - Lisa King (D) vs Terrance Freeman (R)
This one should get the most attention from the Curry machine. Lenny removed Lisa King from the Zoning Board because she wasn't friendly enough to developers. Freeman was appointed by Curry's buddy Gov. Scott - even  though Freeman may not have lived in the District he was appointed to represent.

At-Large Group 3 - Tommy Hazouri (D) vs Greg Rachal (R)
Will Curry repay his debt to Hazouri for his endorsement? Or will he stick with the "R"?

District Run-Offs
District 8 - Ju'Coby Pittman vs Tameka Gaines Holly, both Democrats. In a 5 person race, they got, respectively 39% and 27% of the votes.

District 10 - Brenda Priestly Jackson vs Celestine Mills, again two Democrats. Another 5 person race, two were Republicans, with the results of 42% and 21%

District 14 - Randy DeFoor (R) vs Sunny Gettinger (D), out of 4 candidates they got 39% and 28%.  This could be the most interesting District race, as DeFoor is endorsed by Curry, and Gettinger is an advocate of LGBT rights

At Large 1, 3, and District 14 are the ones I’m paying attention to. I’d vote for King in 1, Gettinger in 14 if I could (I live in 5), and I’m not sure on 3.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2019, 11:59:23 AM »
Why do so many people vote for incumbents? Are people really happy with how things are going?

It’s a combination of the fact that they haven’t been an unmitigated disaster, and/or no viable alternative in some cases. Brosche is Exhibit A

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2019, 01:22:18 PM »

I was specifically referring to some important details like the public pricetag on the Cordish/Lot J plans, as well as making official the decision to move JEA there. Also the pricetag for the park at the Landing. And of course, how to pay for all of this stuff.   

All of that was too sensitive/disruptive to be released before his next term was secured.   

I'm pretty sure that will be piecemealed out. This community isn't one that can stomach what the true dollar figure will tally up too. Peyton had similar redevelopment dreams as well. Yet, at the end of the day, we demolished kids kampus and a seldom used grass field has been there ever since, waiting for all the people who want miles of urban riverfront green space to flock to it. It will be interesting to see how far things get before the economy turns sour.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

marcuscnelson

« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2019, 11:15:36 AM »
A whole lot of talk in this article…

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/currys-next-four-years-mayor-says-hes-going-to-make-downtown-a-destination

Interesting note, the Sheriff is committing to moving the jail. And he's already talking about a price tag of $400-500 million.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2019, 12:45:18 PM »
That article literally said nothing about DT other than we're currently changing the skyline by demolishing sites and being hopeful that new development will eventually come. Just drove through DT Orlando to a meeting at CFX. You don't need newspaper articles and fluff pieces to see the change. There's cranes and infill going up all over the place.