Author Topic: JTA's BRT line to Jax Beach is ready to launch  (Read 685 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
JTA's BRT line to Jax Beach is ready to launch
« on: November 27, 2018, 08:37:04 AM »

As part of the Jacksonville Transportation Authority’s (JTA) MOVE initiative, JTA is advancing a suite of system enhancements called NEXT (Network of Enhanced and Xpanded Transportation) on Monday, December 3, 2018.

Full article: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/jta-ready-to-launch-next-initiatives/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

Re: JTA's BRT line to Jax Beach is ready to launch
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 09:57:33 PM »
Was cool to see all the First Coast Flyer shuttles going up and down Beach Boulevard this morning.

No, it's not rail, or even proper BRT with dedicated lanes and elevated platforms, but it's a step in the right direction and hopefully a good proof-of-concept for eventually adding true fixed transit to these routes.

Though it's still in mixed traffic, I think JTA kind of nailed the station locations with the East and upcoming Southwest lines. When the system is complete, you'll be able to walk into the new Regional Transportation Center and, in less than 10 minutes (less than 15 minutes off-peak) be on an express bus to Jacksonville beach, the Avenues Mall, Orange Park/Orange Park Mall, Brooklyn, Five Points, King Street, Riverside, three FSCJ campuses, major shopping centers like Beach/Hodges, movie theaters, grocery stores, the Southbank, the Courthouse, etc.

The real-time displays at the stations and in the buses are a huge improvement over what was there previously too, and kudos to JTA for establishing park and rides at the beach, JTB, Avenues, Armsdale, and others.

Also, at a time when we see so much stagnation with other public projects around town, JTA deserves some credit for swiftly acquiring funding for the First Coast Flyer and RTC and executing on their plan, even if it's not rail or BRT.

Maybe I'm biased because I live a short walk from the Hodges station, but the idea of 10-minute headways to my office downtown or to the beach in the morning without having to deal with a parking garage or street-side parking sounds pretty solid to me a couple times a week.

Throw in a bike share downtown (the beach would be nice too), and I could conceivably leave my car parked in the driveway for much of the week and save myself the rage of driving at rush hour.

Town Center/UNF/Deerwood Park is still a huge gap in the system though that I'd love to see addressed through additional expansion.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 10:28:38 PM »
hopefully a good proof-of-concept for eventually adding true fixed transit to these routes.

It won't do this (BRT of any kind being upgraded to fixed rail rarely happens) but it's good to have bus lines with headways typically expected in a major city. No matter what modes they pursue in the future, Jax will still need a reliable bus system to feed it with riders. So the decision to listen to the transit advocates and kill the first the BRT plan that was proposed and go with BRT-lite was a good one.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxnyc79

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 08:30:41 AM »
hopefully a good proof-of-concept for eventually adding true fixed transit to these routes.

It won't do this (BRT of any kind being upgraded to fixed rail rarely happens) but it's good to have bus lines with headways typically expected in a major city. No matter what modes they pursue in the future, Jax will still need a reliable bus system to feed it with riders. So the decision to listen to the transit advocates and kill the first the BRT plan that was proposed and go with BRT-lite was a good one.

Reporting from Charlotte - Light Rail is standing room only in the mornings on the way to the Central Business District, and fairly busy in the evenings headed back south from the CBD.  I've been impressed.  More than what I expected.  Sure it's no NYC Subway System, a system I took for 14 years, but in many ways it's a more pleasant ride. 

I'm not a transit expert, but Light Rail could most certainly work in Jax if the traffic is bad enough, the parking expensive enough, and land use planning comprehensive enough.  I only wish I could take the Light Rail to Charlotte Airport.  It's a huge use case for Light Rail, and the back-ups at Charlotte's Departures Deck are notorious. 

If Jax could someday link the Airport to Downtown (along Main Street to stimulate TOD along what is a fairly trashy gateway to the core), then perhaps on to Mandarin or Orange Park (maybe westside of river given there are more historic, urban-patterned communities along that route), and a separate link from Downtown to the Beaches, that could be an extraordinary stimulus. 

I'd never take the Bus.  Don't see the point in riding something that's also sitting in roadway congestion with everyone else.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 08:45:04 AM »
LRT could work on some corridors in Jax and BRT will never be a demonstration for what the power of LRT can do. Especially when integrated with supportive land use policies (ex. Charlotte's South End). Unfortunately, JTA has moved on to the U2C thing.

KenFSU

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 02:33:19 PM »
Amazing how many facts the Times-Union can get wrong in one article.

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20181205/on-road-jta-goes-in-red-with-beaches-to-downtown-bus-line

Two new BRT lines.

The first one connects the beaches to the new transit hub at Regency Square Mall, while also servicing UNF.

The second one serves Yulee.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 02:58:48 PM »
The Yulee route isn't BRT. It's a weekday express bus/van with two AM and two PM trips.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/jta-ready-to-launch-next-initiatives/

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 12:48:33 PM »

Reporting from Charlotte - Light Rail is standing room only in the mornings....

So what?  2/3 of the capacity of those LYNX vehicles is standing.