Author Topic: Cycle Track Coming to Brooklyn's Park Street  (Read 1201 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Cycle Track Coming to Brooklyn's Park Street
« on: November 21, 2018, 11:19:12 AM »

Jacksonville's first urban two-way cycle track appears to be on its way to Brooklyn.

Full article: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/cycle-track-coming-to-brooklyns-park-street/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jax_hwy_engineer

Re: Cycle Track Coming to Brooklyn's Park Street
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 11:35:42 AM »
This is great! I have a friend who commutes this route on his bicycle most every day, hopefully he'll get to use this soon (and me too! even though I only ride recreationally)

Hopefully some type of integration will happen south of Forest, but this is at least a good start and will be a nice link.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 11:37:27 AM »
As much as we hear about boneheaded demolitions and super projects that will never come to pass, these are the things that get me excited for the next few years.  This will tie into the new pedestrian overpass on the fuller warren and we'll have a pretty difficult but fun bike loop around the brooklyn neighborhood/southbank.

Kerry

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 12:13:15 PM »
Yes!  Projects like this are what the City needs to be focusing on and not the magic silver bullet stuff.
Third Place

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 12:29:50 PM »
This is great! I have a friend who commutes this route on his bicycle most every day, hopefully he'll get to use this soon (and me too! even though I only ride recreationally)

Hopefully some type of integration will happen south of Forest, but this is at least a good start and will be a nice link.

Level of Service on Park Street between Forest and the I-95 ramps are already well above what would be considered a candidate for a road diet. The highway ramps skews those numbers considerably. I'm very, very familiar with this particular project.. and that stretch of Park isn't on anyone's radar. 

It took a lot of work to get CIP money directed to this stretch of Park Street between Forrest and the viaduct. Before work gets started later this year, it would be a big help of JEA would get on board with coordinating burying the utility lines... but not holding my breath that will happen.  Most people don't realize, but the residential area West of Park Street still doesn't have residential sewer service... despite being a neighborhood for 150 years (almost to the day). 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 12:34:55 PM »
^Interesting. One of the oldest neighborhoods in the city....that's within walking distance of city hall doesn't have residential sewer service....and people wonder why some inner city neighborhoods look the way they do! Institutional racism is a bitch that we're still trying to recover from today.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 12:43:57 PM »
^Interesting. One of the oldest neighborhoods in the city....that's within walking distance of city hall doesn't have residential sewer service....and people wonder why some inner city neighborhoods look the way they do! Institutional racism is a bitch that we're still trying to recover from today.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprise. It's a giant obstacle to expect someone to build some dense multi-family on a septic tank.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 12:44:58 PM »
Before work gets started later this year, it would be a big help of JEA would get on board with coordinating burying the utility lines... but not holding my breath that will happen.  Most people don't realize, but the residential area West of Park Street still doesn't have residential sewer service... despite being a neighborhood for 150 years (almost to the day).

Is it me or has JEA overtaken JTA as the most dysfunctional of the Authorities in the city?

jax_hwy_engineer

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 12:46:05 PM »

Level of Service on Park Street between Forest and the I-95 ramps are already well above what would be considered a candidate for a road diet. The highway ramps skews those numbers considerably. I'm very, very familiar with this particular project.. and that stretch of Park isn't on anyone's radar. 

It took a lot of work to get CIP money directed to this stretch of Park Street between Forrest and the viaduct. Before work gets started later this year, it would be a big help of JEA would get on board with coordinating burying the utility lines... but not holding my breath that will happen.  Most people don't realize, but the residential area West of Park Street still doesn't have residential sewer service... despite being a neighborhood for 150 years (almost to the day).
Of course, I didn't figure a road diet would be feasible over on that end, but perhaps some Sharrows and BIKES MAY USE FULL LANE signs in this area would help out. Certainly not my favorite solution, but it helps motorists realize "hey there's bikes here" and aids in generating a bike-friendly corridor. Heck, these could even be tacked onto the existing project. A few signs and some pavement markings wouldn't add more than a few thousand to the project cost, but then we're getting into scope creep. Regardless of whether my ideas come to fruition, I'm glad to see this project coming about.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 12:48:07 PM »
Side note (sorry for the multiple posts), which side of the road is the parking vs. the Cycle Track? Not that I have a huge opinion either way; just curious.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 12:51:57 PM »
The cycle track appears to be planned for the westside of Park Street.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 12:55:54 PM »

Of course, I didn't figure a road diet would be feasible over on that end, but perhaps some Sharrows and BIKES MAY USE FULL LANE signs in this area would help out. Certainly not my favorite solution, but it helps motorists realize "hey there's bikes here" and aids in generating a bike-friendly corridor. Heck, these could even be tacked onto the existing project. A few signs and some pavement markings wouldn't add more than a few thousand to the project cost, but then we're getting into scope creep. Regardless of whether my ideas come to fruition, I'm glad to see this project coming about.

Sharrows/signage would be a good-enough short-term solution... however there isn't a re-striping or re-paving scheduled for that stretch of the road anytime soon- which complicates things.  Agree about scope creep. At this point, the redevelopment of Park Street (and there are plans in place) can't happen unless the roadway redesign gets completed... so any delay would be less than ideal.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 01:03:19 PM »
Before work gets started later this year, it would be a big help of JEA would get on board with coordinating burying the utility lines... but not holding my breath that will happen.  Most people don't realize, but the residential area West of Park Street still doesn't have residential sewer service... despite being a neighborhood for 150 years (almost to the day).

Is it me or has JEA overtaken JTA as the most dysfunctional of the Authorities in the city?
Lol their CEO search has turned out to be quite interesting.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 01:11:05 PM »

Sharrows/signage would be a good-enough short-term solution... however there isn't a re-striping or re-paving scheduled for that stretch of the road anytime soon- which complicates things.  Agree about scope creep. At this point, the redevelopment of Park Street (and there are plans in place) can't happen unless the roadway redesign gets completed... so any delay would be less than ideal.

I assume there's some connection identified with Groundworks Jax's trails master plan. I'm not a real fan of sharrows. I don't know if it's even worth wasting the paint for them on a four lane road. When there is enough momentum to invest, parallel corridors like Chelsea or College between Forest and Riverside Park should be explored.

Kerry

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 08:27:09 PM »
There is already a bike path along Park in that area.  It cuts through the back of the Gate station.
Third Place