Author Topic: Urban Construction Update - November 2018  (Read 2241 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Urban Construction Update - November 2018
« on: November 06, 2018, 09:33:53 AM »

Major construction projects have returned to the landscape of Jacksonville's urban core. Find out where (and more) as we take a brief look at the status of various developments under construction in and around Downtown Jacksonville in November 2018.

Full article: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/urban-construction-update-november-2018/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: Urban Construction Update - November 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 11:06:08 AM »
You know your neighborhood is being gentrified when an artisan ice pop place is opening.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 11:35:21 AM »
Murray Hill is blowing up!  It has only been a month or so since I was last there, but a few of those projects look completely different.  The San Marco UCU is going to get insane in the near future with all of the proposed/beginning construction multifamily projects.

downtownbrown

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 02:03:01 PM »
Re: the removal of the old courthouse parking lot, what good are the photos of the surrounding fence?  It would be nice to get a sense of the progress, not the screens hiding the progress.

jax_hwy_engineer

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 02:25:35 PM »
Re: the removal of the old courthouse parking lot, what good are the photos of the surrounding fence?  It would be nice to get a sense of the progress, not the screens hiding the progress.

Peeking past the 6' privacy fence isn't exactly easy, I'm 6'3" and only got a good look when I rode past on my bicycle and stood on the pegs. Plus, if you're really curious, you can look at Google Earth/Maps and see a lot of how it's coming along. Nothing too exciting though, it's just the demolition of an old bridge...

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 03:19:55 PM »
Murray Hill is blowing up!  It has only been a month or so since I was last there, but a few of those projects look completely different.  The San Marco UCU is going to get insane in the near future with all of the proposed/beginning construction multifamily projects.

I hear Valentino is planning to begin work on the edgewood bakery space in the next month or two.

We have had a boutique high-end motorcycle and vehicle shop in the works for the garage space on Post east of Edgewood but sadly the city just rejected the use. At some point vehicle sales and repairs were removed from CCG-1 zoning so back to the drawing board. If anyone wants to put a micro or nano brew in there let me know! Low rents!!  ;D

copperfiend

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 04:32:22 PM »

I hear Valentino is planning to begin work on the edgewood bakery space in the next month or two.

That would be nice. I have been in MH for 2 years and the transformation has been amazing.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 04:46:36 PM »

Peeking past the 6' privacy fence isn't exactly easy, I'm 6'3" and only got a good look when I rode past on my bicycle and stood on the pegs. Plus, if you're really curious, you can look at Google Earth/Maps and see a lot of how it's coming along. Nothing too exciting though, it's just the demolition of an old bridge...

Hmm, my Google Maps aerial shows the parking lot still in use. 
Google Earth is from October 2017. Coast Line Drive is gone, and work has just begun on removing the parking lot.

Could the photographer get to the top of Berkman Parking Garage?

KenFSU

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 04:53:54 PM »
^I need to pop in Hyatt tomorrow.

I'll grab a pic.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 05:43:09 PM »
The parking lot is still there for the most part. Removal of the deck seems to be taking forever.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 11:28:09 AM »
Here you go.

Bonus points for the wholesale destruction of the Old Courthouse taking place in the background.

https://youtu.be/w7FqmWOJwwA

Charles Hunter

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 11:38:14 AM »
Cool!  Thanks.  I would have thought they'd be farther along with the parking lot removal.  Guess they are trying to keep all the debris out of the river.

downtownbrown

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 01:16:01 PM »
Yes, thanks!  I have a copy of the original deck by COJ stating that completion would be spring of 2018.  Last update I heard was spring of 2019.  Er, no.

KenFSU

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 07:55:10 PM »
A lot of stories this week, including in the JBJ just now, about permits being issued on Tuesday for the second phase of the JTA Regional Transportation Center, clearing the way for construction to begin.

Seems odd, as Phase 2 went vertical weeks ago.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2018/11/08/jta-administration-building-okd-for-construction.html

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 09:02:42 PM »
Yes very late timing on that one. Clearly it's pretty far along