Author Topic: Main Street Bridge Question  (Read 2680 times)

KenFSU

Main Street Bridge Question
« on: November 01, 2018, 11:54:16 AM »
Random question for the boaters out there:

Are there any type of rules in place that dictate what types of boats can cross under the Main Street Bridge and at what times?

More specifically, why are relatively small, high-mast boats with five people aboard allowed to bring traffic into an out of the city to a screeching halt for 20 minutes during morning and afternoon rush hours so they can get under the Main Street bridge?

Does the poor timing of the boater really necessitate making thousands of people late for work?

This morning, I hit the Main Street Bridge right as the gate was lowering to raise the bridge. Thought I'd avoid it by u-turning, taking the Acosta Bridge, and entering downtown via Water Street. My plan was foiled when I couldn't get into my parking garage because Main Street was backed up a mile because of said high-masted boat.

fieldafm

• Editor
Re: Main Street Bridge Question
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 12:05:00 PM »
Typically, there are certain hours where boating traffic is advised that the Main Street Bridge will not open more than twice an hour.  But the bridge operator still has discretion of when to/when not to open.
To amend that opening schedule requires an act by the Coast Guard, and is a pretty lengthy process.

Your best point of contact for questions, concerns, etc would be Jim Suber... jsuber@coj.net
Jim is a great guy.

KenFSU

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 12:25:20 PM »
Thanks Mike!

Good info!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 12:33:43 PM »
Great question Ken... I have muttered that very question myself more than once...  >:(
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

KenFSU

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 12:45:00 PM »
Great question Ken... I have muttered that very question myself more than once...  >:(

Ironic, for a gentleman who uses the handle BridgeTroll.

:D :D :D

JBTripper

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 12:47:14 PM »
I have another Main Street Bridge question, myself. Why is it seeming always closed, or reduced to two lanes? If we closed it for 6 months one time and fixed the dang thing, could we avoid some of this ongoing nonsense? I have to think visitors being able to predictably get into and out of downtown would have a positive impact on long-term development.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 12:50:18 PM »

Lol... that actually refers to an old watering hole downtown...The infamous London Bridge...  8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 12:56:49 PM »

SUCH a great place!

Lol... that actually refers to an old watering hole downtown...The infamous London Bridge...  8)
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 01:18:37 PM »
§ 117.325 St. Johns River.
(a) The drawspan for the Main Street (1/SR 90) drawbridge, mile 24.7, at Jacksonville, must open on signal except that, from 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday except Federal holidays, the drawspan need not be opened for the passage of vessels.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/117.325

Somebody with more legal expertise than me may want to look into this, but I believe this is saying the bridge should not be open during rush hour.

Kerry

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 01:20:13 PM »
I have another Main Street Bridge question, myself. Why is it seeming always closed, or reduced to two lanes? If we closed it for 6 months one time and fixed the dang thing, could we avoid some of this ongoing nonsense? I have to think visitors being able to predictably get into and out of downtown would have a positive impact on long-term development.

Walked across the Main Street Bridge about 4AM this morning and the north bound lanes were down to one - with narry a construction worker in sight....so good question.
Third Place

Papa33

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 02:00:29 PM »
§ 117.325 St. Johns River.
(a) The drawspan for the Main Street (1/SR 90) drawbridge, mile 24.7, at Jacksonville, must open on signal except that, from 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday except Federal holidays, the drawspan need not be opened for the passage of vessels.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/117.325

Somebody with more legal expertise than me may want to look into this, but I believe this is saying the bridge should not be open during rush hour.

The language is such that during those times the bridge tender has discretion.

acme54321

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 02:30:53 PM »
Lol, an opening doesn't take 20 minutes.  For all the motorist knows though the bridge tender could have had that vessel on standby for quite some time before the bridge opens. 

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 02:44:45 PM »
Lol, an opening doesn't take 20 minutes.  For all the motorist knows though the bridge tender could have had that vessel on standby for quite some time before the bridge opens. 
[/quote

It certainly can.  The mechanical process of lowering the traffic barriers, raising the bridge, lowering the bridge and raising the barriers may not take 20 minutes... but I have certainly seen the yahoo driving the boat take his merry time going through...

Bottom line is most of the boats are recreational... they can wait for rush hour to be over.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 03:14:50 PM »
I also think if the vessel captain declares an emergency, by blowing their horn in a certain pattern, the tender has to open the bridge. Whether there is any follow-up to determine in there really was an emergency.

Even when the hours are followed, a boat requesting a raising at 6:57 AM will keep the bridge closed to 7:15 or so; then the time for traffic to disperse adds to the time in congestion.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 03:41:00 PM »
I have definitely waited over 20 minutes.