Author Topic: Spirit Animal Beer and Wine Bar Coming to Five Points  (Read 4684 times)

Captain Zissou

Re: Spirit Animal Beer and Wine Bar Coming to Five Points
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2019, 09:31:05 AM »
How many businesses has Jim Love killed (or tried to kill, ie Mellow Mushroom) in his district?

itsfantastic1

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2019, 10:26:11 AM »
Maybe a small bright side to this is that as RAP gets a reputation of making it more difficult for businesses to open; those business may decide against relocating to R/A, which may spill them into surrounding neighborhoods. Brooklyn, Fishweir, Murray Hill, Ortega stand to benefit which I don't think is a bad thing.

However, it's unfortunate these business people had to go through this. Nothing says "It's Easier Here" than unknown, shifting and last minute demands.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2019, 10:38:19 AM »
On the one hand, it's a shame that a store front (or weird house converted to a commercial premises) will remain empty. On the other hand, it's nice that Riverside isn't getting another bar.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2019, 12:35:09 PM »
Looks like this one got denied. According to the article the owners were trying to compromise and RAP was on board, but two neighborhood residents hired Paul Harden, which usually means game over:

City Council denied approval for the proposed Spirit Animal restaurant in Five Points to serve food, beer and wine.

The Jacksonville Planning Commission had approved a zoning exception for outside sales and service of food, beer and wine for the proposed Spirit Animal restaurant at 2000 Forbes St.

Riverside Avondale Preservation Inc. and neighborhood residents Mary Ellen Hansen and Ryan Parde appealed that order, noting the added noise from the outdoor seating area and the potential parking problems on Forbes Street.

The council Land Use and Zoning Committee recommended approval of the appeal Feb. 20.

RAP said at the meeting a settlement agreement would be acceptable with conditions that limited the hours of operation and the direction of the amplified music, but Hansen and Parde did not agree.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/planned-spirit-animal-restaurant-in-five-points-denied-selling-food-beer-and-wine-outside

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2019, 12:41:26 PM »
Correct, as we previously reported here.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2019, 01:25:15 PM »
Correct, as we previously reported here.

Ah...missed the post from last week.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2019, 01:30:32 PM »
Denial is worse than the owner withdrawing - now, they can't come back with a similar request for a year (I think that is the time).

MusicMan

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2019, 09:24:27 PM »
What about Murray Hill, or King Street? Is 5 Points the ONLY place it can go?

Kiva

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2019, 09:28:44 PM »
On the one hand, it's a shame that a store front (or weird house converted to a commercial premises) will remain empty. On the other hand, it's nice that Riverside isn't getting another bar.
Because bars are bad? Or Riverside has too many? I would think that any small business is good, but I must be wrong.

MusicMan

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2019, 09:30:50 PM »
Was the plan to lease or purchase the building?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2019, 11:44:12 PM »
Was the plan to lease or purchase the building?

Lease. The main reasons they are attracted to it is that it’s right behind their other business, and right in the Five Points commercial district. Plus they have the lease on it and have spent a lot of money trying to make it work.

What about Murray Hill, or King Street? Is 5 Points the ONLY place it can go?

The general concept of a small plate and beer/wine place could go elsewhere, but there aren’t a ton of buildings like this that are in commercial areas and have/could have a porch. It would essentially be an entirely new project.

Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2019, 07:29:57 AM »
Because bars are bad? Or Riverside has too many? I would think that any small business is good, but I must be wrong.

Yeah, bars are bad. But beyond that, it would be nice to see a greater diversity in businesses. We used to joke that anytime a business opened in Riverside, it was just a matter of time before it turned into a bar.

I'm certainly not saying you "must be wrong". I'm simply expressing my opinion. It's possible for two people to have different views on a subject without one being 'wrong' and one being 'right'.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2019, 08:34:01 AM »

Yeah, bars are bad. But beyond that, it would be nice to see a greater diversity in businesses. We used to joke that anytime a business opened in Riverside, it was just a matter of time before it turned into a bar.

I'm certainly not saying you "must be wrong". I'm simply expressing my opinion. It's possible for two people to have different views on a subject without one being 'wrong' and one being 'right'.

I do not agree, and You are Wrong!  [end snark mode]

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2019, 08:52:34 AM »

I do not agree, and You are Wrong!  [end snark mode]

Duly noted!

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2019, 09:15:00 AM »

To an extent, that's just the way retail is going. Fewer stores and more restaurants, bars, and venues. And to be fair, this wasn't only a bar, it was a restaurant and the menu focused on things you can't already get in Five Points. The earlier incarnation was also a package store, which would have allowed Grassroots to get rid of the beer so it could expand and move a juice bar into a storefront that's now just storage. It'll be interesting to see what happens next knowing that the neighbors are opposed to any plan that would involve remodeling the space.