Author Topic: Spirit Animal Beer and Wine Bar Coming to Five Points  (Read 5415 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: Spirit Animal Beer and Wine Bar Coming to Five Points
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 12:03:21 PM »
Here’s an update on this project (I’ll have a fuller one later this week). It has been delayed for several months by appeals from RAP and two neighbors up the street primarily stemming from noise concerns. To accommodate the appeals, the owners have agreed to a series of changes that will move the porch and shift most seating inside. Ironically, considering RAP’s mission, the requested changes will result in the building’s exterior and interior changing substantially more than the original plans. There are still concerns to be hashed out. The project goes to the City Council Land Use and Zoning committee today at 5. It’s a lot of hurdles to jump through for a small business. Additionally, it’ll have a different name than Spirit Animal.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 12:20:20 PM »
Typical RAP being RAP.  The end result will be worse for the neighborhood and not as well designed as the original proposal.  See Mellow in Avondale for reference.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 01:43:13 PM »
Typical RAP being RAP.  The end result will be worse for the neighborhood and not as well designed as the original proposal.  See Mellow in Avondale for reference.

Folks can let their feelings be heard by emailing LUZ chair Matt Schellenberg at matts@coj.net.

I will say that the owners seem upbeat about the changes in general, just surprised that they’re coming from RAP. We’ll have a story out with more updates later this week.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 02:27:52 PM »
I've never seen James not upbeat, so that's no surprise.  Are the two neighbors commercial or residential?

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 02:42:36 PM »
So will they be moving the Beer out of Grassroots?
"If it was that bad she would have reported it" Donald Trump

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 10:37:27 AM »
^I met with the owners for some followup. We'll have an article on it out soon.

RiversideRambler

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 04:17:16 PM »
Additionally, it’ll have a different name than Spirit Animal.

I'm in the minority here but I liked the name. Seems like a good bar name for that area.

Kerry

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 07:07:20 PM »
The big question really should be, why does Jacksonville still have parking requirements when most cities have either eliminated them or are in the process of doing so?

http://www.governing.com/topics/urban/gov-parking-requirements-economic-development.html
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:13:40 PM by Kerry »
Third Place

Kiva

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 08:47:41 PM »
The big question really should be, why does Jacksonville still have parking requirements when most cities have either eliminated them or are in the process of doing so?

http://www.governing.com/topics/urban/gov-parking-requirements-economic-development.html
Exactly! How many more empty surface parking lots and half empty parking decks do we need downtown?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 07:28:35 AM »

The planned Five Points restaurant by the sibling owners of Grassroots Natural Market has undergone some changes: new name, new designs, and pies by the creator of Sweet Theory. It's also facing challenges from some in the neighborhood. When can you stop by for a seasonal small plate and a glass of craft beer? Find out the full story in this Jaxson exclusive.

Read more: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/grassroots-owners-restaurant-faces-changes-hurdles/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:22:43 AM by Tacachale »

Captain Zissou

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 09:47:56 AM »
Great article.  I really hope this comes to fruition, but I wouldn't blame James and Jack for saying it's not worth the hassle on this one.  It's unbelievable the amount of hoops they are having to jump through.  The finished product sounds like it will be one of my new favorite spots if RAP doesn't recommend demolition in favor of additional parking.

I'll make sure to buy more beer from Grassroots in the interim to help fund the development.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 12:53:54 PM »
Great article.  I really hope this comes to fruition, but I wouldn't blame James and Jack for saying it's not worth the hassle on this one.  It's unbelievable the amount of hoops they are having to jump through.  The finished product sounds like it will be one of my new favorite spots if RAP doesn't recommend demolition in favor of additional parking.

I'll make sure to buy more beer from Grassroots in the interim to help fund the development.

Yeah, it's a lot of hoops, and a ton of money, for a small business. No wonder Murray Hill and Main Street have taken off so well with exactly the types of businesses that used to flock to Riverside.

As for the project moving forward, the next step is Land Use and Zoning:

The project next goes before the City Council Land Use and Zoning committee from 5-7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 20, in City Hall. Those wishing to weigh in are invited to speak at the meeting or to email Land Use and Zoning committee chair Matt Schellenberg at matts@coj.net.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:23:47 PM by Tacachale »

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 03:07:42 PM »
The Land Use and Zoning meeting is tomorrow, Feb. 20, from 5-7 in City Hall. The public can weigh in at the meeting or by emailing Matt Schellenberg at matts@coj.net.

We've been in touch with RAP, and from that I can vouch for the quote in the article saying the appellants are being tight lipped about what it is they want here. My impression is that they want even more concessions on top of what's already been agreed to, so the project is likely to change again (if it progresses at all).

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 05:52:08 PM »
They should send them the bill. 

Captain Zissou

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2019, 11:26:00 AM »
So the appellants are going to list surprise demands tomorrow at the zoning meeting?  Do they not have a deadline to issue their complaints so that this process can move forward?  This is turning into The Roost (is that even the name? It's been so long that I've forgotten) part 2.  Thanks RAP