Author Topic: Jacksonville International Airport's Expansion Plans  (Read 2222 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: Jacksonville International Airport's Expansion Plans
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 09:45:28 AM »
I think flirting with a San Diego or West Coast flight (LAX) again is the next logical step, as far as ´new flights´ are concerned...

That I COMPLETELY agree with. If we can get a Europe flight awesome, but I think more realistic is to get West Coast Service back. As far as Delta is concerned, I think SLC and LAX are the most likely (both are hubs for them). The problem is, both are under MAJOR construction so it doesn't seem like the right time. The construction eases at SLC in 2020, and LAX in 2022 (I think).

(BTW, obviously other carriers are candidates besides Delta. I know Delta much better than any of them though)

Houseboat Mike

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 09:58:27 AM »
I think flirting with a San Diego or West Coast flight (LAX) again is the next logical step, as far as ´new flights´ are concerned...

That I COMPLETELY agree with. If we can get a Europe flight awesome, but I think more realistic is to get West Coast Service back. As far as Delta is concerned, I think SLC and LAX are the most likely (both are hubs for them). The problem is, both are under MAJOR construction so it doesn't seem like the right time. The construction eases at SLC in 2020, and LAX in 2022 (I think).

(BTW, obviously other carriers are candidates besides Delta. I know Delta much better than any of them though)

with Delta's main hub a 45 minute flight away, I would be very surprised if they did a direct to the west coast.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 11:56:53 AM »

with Delta's main hub a 45 minute flight away, I would be very surprised if they did a direct to the west coast.

Something made them try it a few years back. It didn't work, but that had to be partially related to the economy. Cities like Columbus and Memphis make it work.

Interestingly, I read in a news release from the Jacksonville airport that Jacksonville is the largest US market without a nonstop to LAX. I think it's just a matter of timing and scheduling. The previous schedule wasn't ideal IMO, but it might have been the only thing Delta could fit in at the time.

Again, I think it may be a non issue for Delta at LAX because of the construction mess at the moment.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 12:49:12 PM »
Another point to the LAX flight - at the time, Delta ran the flight with a 737 (their smallest plane that had the range). It has about 160 seats which might have made the economics tough. Coming online in 2019 for them is the Airbus A220, which has enough range and will hold around 120-125ish people. So, that could prompt a comeback for it.