Author Topic: Jacksonville International Airport's Expansion Plans  (Read 2216 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Jacksonville International Airport's Expansion Plans
« on: September 26, 2018, 08:14:49 AM »

After having a record-breaking number of travelers in recent months, the Jacksonville International Airport has sped up plans to add a third concourse (Concourse B), more parking and additional TSA scanners. Construction is anticipated to begin within the next three years. Here's a look at the conceptual plans for the airport's eventual expansion.

Full article: https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/jacksonville-international-airports-expansion-plans/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

Re: Jacksonville International Airport's Expansion Plans
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 09:56:15 AM »
I can't figure out the TSA part.  It looks like the screening lanes are longer, but it looks like the same number of lanes.  And the queue area is bigger.

Does this phase include the additional runway they have been talking about - parallel to 14/32?

itsfantastic1

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 10:47:42 AM »
What I find great about this, is that this means that there are more non-stop flights potentially opening up to our market. I know there are a few options for the west coast; Los Angeles, San Diego, San Fransisco, Seattle, Portland.  Yet outside of those, I'm not sure where we have a great expansion potential to need an additional concourse? I could forsee a Europe flight, maybe Mexico.

However, the way airlines set their routes, I can't see us going somewhere we don't already have a flight due to the hub-spoke model of most domestics. Atlanta for Delta, Houston/Newark for United, Dallas/Charlotte/Miami for American.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 11:05:40 AM »
I can't figure out the TSA part.  It looks like the screening lanes are longer, but it looks like the same number of lanes.  And the queue area is bigger.

Does this phase include the additional runway they have been talking about - parallel to 14/32?

I think they're planning on taking the small food court pre-security.

Currently, I don't think the third runway is being planned.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 11:19:16 AM »
What I find great about this, is that this means that there are more non-stop flights potentially opening up to our market. I know there are a few options for the west coast; Los Angeles, San Diego, San Fransisco, Seattle, Portland.  Yet outside of those, I'm not sure where we have a great expansion potential to need an additional concourse? I could forsee a Europe flight, maybe Mexico.

However, the way airlines set their routes, I can't see us going somewhere we don't already have a flight due to the hub-spoke model of most domestics. Atlanta for Delta, Houston/Newark for United, Dallas/Charlotte/Miami for American.

My feeling is getting west coast flights isn't directly related to this. For example, Delta had a non-stop to LAX but they dumped it. The airport could handle it fine at present (though it's getting tight with some of the new flights that have come and are coming).

In terms of "hub and spoke", Delta has plenty of examples of flights to non-hubs. A perfect example is JAX-Boston (Boston is a Focus City for Delta but not a hub). They just added a second daily to that flight so it must be doing okay. Delta's Hubs and Focus Cities (and whether we have flights to them):

Atlanta (YES)
Detroit (YES)
MSP (YES)
New York (YES, both LGA and JFK)
Salt Lake City (NO)
LAX (NO)
Seattle (NO)

Focus Cities
Boston (YES)
Cincinnati (NO)
Raleigh-Durham (NO)

My point is, even in the hub and spoke model there are still plenty of destinations that could be added. Plus, Delta isn't afraid to try a non-hub to non-hub (they tried JAX-Miami which is nowhere near a Delta hub....it ultimately failed).

Obviously this is very specific to Delta since I know them the best. JetBlue, United, and American would be similar (though United is historically weak in the southeast). Southwest works in a similar model with Focus Cities (Chicago, BWI, etc.) but is more of a point to point airline. The low cost ones on the other hand...I usually can't figure out how they come up with their route network (Aside from just seeing a route they think they can make money on).

Jagsdrew

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 11:28:04 AM »
I think what you will see is Delta, American and United will continue to do their hub spoke model with the potential of adding more frequency to those routes.  The Delta flight to and from Atlanta is packed all the time.

The additional terminal will handle the increased volume as well as add more low cost commercial air carriers to fly out of Jax: Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, etc. 

Hopefully, this increased competition will help drive down flight costs out of JAX.
Twitter: @Jagsdrew

downtownbrown

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 11:34:48 AM »
Would love a regional destination strategy, so you don't have to drive to Orlando for a direct flight to Cancun or Belize.  And you don't have to go to Atlanta to get to Norfolk, Raleigh, etc.   Makes sense to somehow relieve some of the traffic from the major hubs.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 12:06:50 PM »
I think what you will see is Delta, American and United will continue to do their hub spoke model with the potential of adding more frequency to those routes.  The Delta flight to and from Atlanta is packed all the time.

The additional terminal will handle the increased volume as well as add more low cost commercial air carriers to fly out of Jax: Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, etc. 

Hopefully, this increased competition will help drive down flight costs out of JAX.

I think you nailed it. JAX/MCO/TPA are known by Delta as having the highest per-capita number of Elite Frequent Flyers (Medallions). On busy days Delta runs JAX-ATL 14 times a day (I believe) with aircraft sizes ranging from 140-180 seats and they are all jammed full. If they can pick off a route or two (glad to see JAX-BOS being successful), but I don’t see them doing a large expansion. They certainly value the market though (I believe we’re the smallest to have a Sky Club).

I think the challenge is with the Low Cost Carriers, the majors don’t want to play in that arena. Delta isn’t looking to steal people from Spirit nor vice versa so I expect little impact to Delta’s existing Detroit flight.

I reread the airports master plan and the 6 gate Concourse B are being built for A320/B737 type planes. That screams Southwest/Low Cost Carriers. So they’ll likely move there and keep A/C for the majors and maybe JetBlue

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 12:23:29 PM »
Would love a regional destination strategy, so you don't have to drive to Orlando for a direct flight to Cancun or Belize.  And you don't have to go to Atlanta to get to Norfolk, Raleigh, etc.   Makes sense to somehow relieve some of the traffic from the major hubs.

I’d love it but I don’t know that I see it. You could possibly get a RDU flight (as Delta is expanding there), and personally I’d love to see some more west coast options (SLC would help me a ton personally as for many mid-sized west coast cities, it’s a 2 stop trip to get out there).

But, it seems like what you’re describing is a Focus City, and I’m not seeing it unfortunately:

-American hasn’t dumped any hubs from the USAirways merger which is surprising. Doubt they expand anytime soon.
-Delta has a near-focus city in Orlando, plus Atlanta is unquestionably the best operating of the super large airports in the US (unless it snows). I think the RDU expansion is a result of North Carolina’s growth and an opportunity to steal some of American’s horsepower in the state.
-United actually COULD do it I suppose. They nearest hubs are Newark, Chicago, and Houston (nothing in the southeast). But, I don’t see United in a positive for massive growth as their are some other things they are focusing on first (financials and cash being one of them). The Oscar Munoz tenure isn’t off to an amazing start.
-Southwest has to be happy with their positioning in the region with hubs at Atlanta, Orlando, and BWI very strong for them. No major expansion coming from them.
-JetBlue considers both Fort Lauderdale and Orlando Focus Cities. They aren’t adding a third in Florida.
-I can’t speak to the rest of them. Obviously Frontier seems to like us, but with all of the additions I believe they can still run their presence here on a single gate as most of their destinations are only every 2-3 days.

Long story short, I think JAX’s only hope of something like you describe (aside from the Low Cost people perhaps) is for United to embark on a southeastern growth strategy. Then, we’d need to push HARD as a city. I’m not a big United guy (I think their service is terrible even before some of the more recent black eyes), but the economic impact of that would be unreal.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 12:20:30 AM »
I loathe United as well. However, a United presence would be huge. Personally, I’m still hoping for a British Airways JAX-LGW route.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 08:50:49 AM »
I loathe United as well. However, a United presence would be huge. Personally, I’m still hoping for a British Airways JAX-LGW route.

It is sort of strange how weak United is in the southeast. Historically all carriers have had a weak spot. Delta's for years was the west coast....then they dumped many craptons into SeaTac, are dumping many craptons into LAX (They're seriously $1.9B of their own money on Terminals 2 and 3 there) and are a major contributor to SLC's Renovation

That's the other wild-card: a Foreign carrier calling here. I don't know how they plan their routes really, but one positive towards it happening is with the AA-USAir Merger, American has a decent presence here and AA and BA are both part of OneWorld, so you have a built in base of AA Loyalists that would love it as they could earn miles on it.

ben says

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 06:18:08 AM »
I'm really, really out of the loop since moving abroad, so excuse the questions:

1. anyone know how British Airways flights are doing to New Orleans? Austin?

2. since DL dropped their Memphis to Europe flights, how likely is it Jacksonville could take these? (I realise Memphis was dropped as a hub, but still)

3. is the airport expansion 100% happening? has JIA come out and given reasons (is airline interest driving this?)

mostly curious how BA is doing to Nola and Austin. As much as I want to see a London flight, I cannot imagine - in a million years - JAX being able to fill up those plans, especially since JAX isn't exactly a layover/reroute city whatsoever...

I think flirting with a San Diego or West Coast flight (LAX) again is the next logical step, as far as ´new flights´ are concerned...
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 07:11:58 AM »
Regarding expansion, construction is expected to be underway within the next three years: https://www.news4jax.com/travel/jacksonville-international-airport-adding-airline-losing-another
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

HelenDavis

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 08:47:02 AM »
It’s nice to see that enterprises and private companies have started to adopt smart parking technology at a fast pace. Urban mobility and especially parking has been a major pain-point in airports.
I actually would like to know a bit more about what type of parking technology will be used in here. As far as I’m aware there aren’t a lot of vendors providing cost-efficient solutions. One of the major issues that many companies face, when choosing smart parking sensors, is the cost of installation and accuracy.
Drilling a hole in every parking spot is clearly inefficient because it can damages the road surface and causes a temporary suspension of those spots and a loss in revenue as a result. And the only surface-mount sensor that is thinner than 0.8” and 99% accurate is manufactured by a single vendor - Nwave. In fact, such high-profile companies as ARM (world’s leading semiconductor IP company) and Land Rover are among their clients.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 09:41:47 AM »
2. since DL dropped their Memphis to Europe flights, how likely is it Jacksonville could take these? (I realise Memphis was dropped as a hub, but still)

Slim to Zero for a couple reasons:

1. Like you said, Delta dropped Memphis as a hub and reduced Cinci from a hub to a focus city as part of the Northwest merger (Memphis was a NW hub, Cinci a Delta Hub). That traffic was just redirected to ATL/DTW/MSP.
2. Delta has started a Orlando-Amsterdam and has announced a Tampa-Amsterdam flight. They also have Orlando-London (through Virgin Atlantic who they own 49% of and are codeshare partners), and Miami to several destinations in Europe through their SkyTeam partners (major names in SkyTeam besides Delta are Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Alitalia but there's like 20). Because of that, I can't see Delta or ANY SkyTeam Airline adding one from JAX.