Author Topic: English Pub in San Marco? Dog's Bollocks!  (Read 9146 times)

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: English Pub in San Marco? Dog's Bollocks!
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2019, 06:41:12 AM »
Looks very nice. Very modern.

Honest question: what is "English-inspired" about it? Looks more like a Starbucks than the Dog and Duck.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Kiva

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2019, 08:22:40 AM »

Honest question: what is "English-inspired" about it? Looks more like a Starbucks than the Dog and Duck.
Exactly! It's nothing like an English pub.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2019, 08:36:27 AM »

You can't really appreciate it from pictures alone.First, the owners have English accents. So, sometimes it sounds like an English Pub. Second, at least when I was there, Fawlty Towers was playing on the TV. Finally, and I think this is the clincher, you order pints.

Now, I will admit to not being an expert on the subject, but if that isn't an English Pub, well....I have no idea what people would be looking for.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2019, 08:42:08 AM »

You can't really appreciate it from pictures alone.First, the owners have English accents. So, sometimes it sounds like an English Pub. Second, at least when I was there, Fawlty Towers was playing on the TV. Finally, and I think this is the clincher, you order pints.

Now, I will admit to not being an expert on the subject, but if that isn't an English Pub, well....I have no idea what people would be looking for.

Fair enough. Obviously was thinking of the look more than anything else - but without seeing the menu or whatever, it's hard to say. I think it's fair to say that English bars can look like anything - but at the same time, there is a particular 'look' that one tends to associate with them. A stereotype, if you will. So I was just curious.

As I said, I think it looks great.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2019, 08:55:44 AM »

Fair enough. Obviously was thinking of the look more than anything else - but without seeing the menu or whatever, it's hard to say. I think it's fair to say that English bars can look like anything - but at the same time, there is a particular 'look' that one tends to associate with them. A stereotype, if you will. So I was just curious.

Is this the driest response ever or did you think I was serious? At the very least, I take small comfort in knowing that I get my own jokes.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2019, 09:05:59 AM »

Is this the driest response ever or did you think I was serious? At the very least, I take small comfort in knowing that I get my own jokes.

I assumed the Fawlty Towers thing was a bit of a piss-take (yeah, that's right) - but assumed the British owners and pints thing was sincere. In any even, I appreciate them not going the 'themey' route. That can be a bit cheesy.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2019, 09:48:52 AM »
Anyone know what they have on tap beside water?

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2019, 10:54:45 AM »

partial list:

Left Leg Lager
Raging Blonde
Oberon
Old Specked hen
Mixed berry Bigley
BPA
Duke's Cold Nose
Two Hearted
Karate in the garage
Skyway
Hard Target

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2019, 10:56:13 AM »

partial list:

Left Leg Lager
Raging Blonde
Oberon
Old Specked hen
Mixed berry Bigley
BPA
Duke's Cold Nose
Two Hearted
Karate in the garage
Skyway
Hard Target

They also had a kombucha when I was there.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2019, 04:21:29 PM »

partial list:

Left Leg Lager
Raging Blonde
Oberon
Old Specked hen
Mixed berry Bigley
BPA
Duke's Cold Nose
Two Hearted
Karate in the garage
Skyway
Hard Target

Would'nt an English pub have Guinness and Harp?
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Kiva

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2019, 04:32:29 PM »
Almost all the beers are craft, but apart from Old Speckled hen I don't see any English (or Irish!) beers listed.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2019, 04:36:49 PM »

partial list:

Left Leg Lager
Raging Blonde
Oberon
Old Specked hen
Mixed berry Bigley
BPA
Duke's Cold Nose
Two Hearted
Karate in the garage
Skyway
Hard Target

Would'nt an English pub have Guinness and Harp?

Yeah, they did have Guinness. I can't remember if they had Harp.

Snaketoz

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2019, 05:43:45 PM »
Aren't Guinness and Harp Irish?  I was hoping for some real English beer.  Like Tetley's.  When I was in England the locals were constantly asking for Budweiser.

Kiva

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2019, 06:19:19 PM »
Aren't Guinness and Harp Irish?  I was hoping for some real English beer.  Like Tetley's.  When I was in England the locals were constantly asking for Budweiser.
Yes, Guinness and Harp are Irish. There are hundreds of English beers, but even in Florida you can pretty easily find Newcastle, Boddington's, Bass, Sam Smith's, Fuller's, Wychwood, Brompton's, Conniston etc. All are at Total Wine, most are at European street.The "Posting house" seems to have none of these. Next time I drive past, I'm going to open the door and shout "Dog's Bollocks"!

Snaketoz

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2019, 08:14:20 PM »
Yes, Guinness and Harp are Irish. There are hundreds of English beers, but even in Florida you can pretty easily find Newcastle, Boddington's, Bass, Sam Smith's, Fuller's, Wychwood, Brompton's, Conniston etc. All are at Total Wine, most are at European street.The "Posting house" seems to have none of these. Next time I drive past, I'm going to open the door and shout "Dog's Bollocks"!
From the photos posted it seems to be a neat, pleasant place, but not like any of the pubs I visited in Yorkshire.  I looked-up Tetley's online to discover they were bought by Carlsberg decades ago and closed the Leeds brewery.  According to a couple of websites I visited, no English brews were in the top 5 most popular in the UK.  Bud, Stella, Heineken, and others are more popular.  I loved the bitter.