Author Topic: Candy Apple Café & Cocktails permanently closed  (Read 5969 times)

KenFSU

Re: Candy Apple Café & Cocktails permanently closed
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2019, 03:01:37 PM »
And now the whole building is for sale:

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/historic-sweet-petes-building-in-downtown-jacksonville-is-for-sale

Maybe because Sugarfina's suit wasn't "total BS," liquidity has become a problem.

You know what's a smarter public investment than tearing down the Landing? Bringing the Seminole Club under city ownership, charging Sweet Pete's a reasonable rent, and helping the former Candy Apple owners re-launch the restaurant.

Best downtown addition this decade in terms of drawing outsiders in, and one of very, very, very public establishments fronting Hemming Park.

You don't even have to knock anything down.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2019, 09:42:59 AM »

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/historic-sweet-petes-building-in-downtown-jacksonville-is-for-sale

Maybe because Sugarfina's suit wasn't "total BS," liquidity has become a problem.

I was thinking the same.  The timing of losing the lawsuit and the sale probably isn't a coincidence.   I'd bet there are some other factors, too.    What sort of condition is the building in?  Afterall they just closed it to remediate serious problems with water getting into the wood.  What sort of work may be needed on that place in the not so distant future?

tufsu1

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2019, 12:06:18 PM »

You know what's a smarter public investment than tearing down the Landing? Bringing the Seminole Club under city ownership, charging Sweet Pete's a reasonable rent, and helping the former Candy Apple owners re-launch the restaurant.

Best downtown addition this decade in terms of drawing outsiders in, and one of very, very, very public establishments fronting Hemming Park.

You don't even have to knock anything down.

THIS x 1000%

minder

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2019, 08:55:46 PM »
But, but, but, how can they close the landing!?

Yet, this will be yet another vacant storefront within a short walking distance from it even after the landing disappears. Face it folks, the reality is, that beyond the realms of a loud minority on this forum and one or two blogs there is just no appetite from the masses to create a nightlife scene in the immediate urban core.  No matter how many times you polish a turd. Last throw of the dice for the foreseeable future for the downtown area is Lot J and to be fair, I'd much rather hedge my bets there when those venue anchored projects are appearing with success all over the country than throw money at a proven loser like the landing or the hordes of empty storefronts all around there.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2019, 10:18:28 PM »

Yet, this will be yet another vacant storefront within a short walking distance from it even after the landing disappears. Face it folks, the reality is, that beyond the realms of a loud minority on this forum and one or two blogs there is just no appetite from the masses to create a nightlife scene in the immediate urban core.  No matter how many times you polish a turd. Last throw of the dice for the foreseeable future for the downtown area is Lot J and to be fair, I'd much rather hedge my bets there when those venue anchored projects are appearing with success all over the country than throw money at a proven loser like the landing or the hordes of empty storefronts all around there.

Guess you’ve never been to Five Points if you think there’s no “appetite” for nightlife in the urban core. It’s much more lively all week long than Lot J will be anytime in the foreseeable future.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

vicupstate

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2019, 10:16:48 AM »

Serious question: Have you ever been anywhere outside of Jacksonville?
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Bativac

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2019, 02:20:07 PM »

My friend who left Jax to live in Greenville 15 years ago (after being born and raised here) still cannot believe the city has failed to do anything to capitalize on the river, other than being able to walk over the bridges and see the amazing views. I mean, Greenville had a freeway covering the falls that had to be torn down (to much consternation, at the time). Jax has a river. A wide, beautiful river.

I live in Burbank, CA. We have no river. We have a lively downtown with restaurants, movie theaters, and a population of around 100k. This isn't some special Los Angeles thing. There are a couple of big, free - FREE - parking garages, and so people from around town (families mostly) drive downtown, see a movie, have dinner, stroll along the storefronts, have ice cream... it's great. There is no giant One Thing that made it happen. Lots of small businesses (and, yeah, some chains.... even, gasp, a FUDDRUCKERS). It's well-lit, there are no issues getting a business opened, and we have a giant freeway right next to downtown... not a beautiful river!

Jax could make this happen easily and that's the frustrating part. Nobody with any vision is ever in charge.

tufsu1

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2019, 10:08:34 PM »
^ Its easier here

Kerry

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2019, 09:22:25 PM »

My friend who left Jax to live in Greenville 15 years ago (after being born and raised here) still cannot believe the city has failed to do anything to capitalize on the river, other than being able to walk over the bridges and see the amazing views. I mean, Greenville had a freeway covering the falls that had to be torn down (to much consternation, at the time). Jax has a river. A wide, beautiful river.

I live in Burbank, CA. We have no river. We have a lively downtown with restaurants, movie theaters, and a population of around 100k. This isn't some special Los Angeles thing. There are a couple of big, free - FREE - parking garages, and so people from around town (families mostly) drive downtown, see a movie, have dinner, stroll along the storefronts, have ice cream... it's great. There is no giant One Thing that made it happen. Lots of small businesses (and, yeah, some chains.... even, gasp, a FUDDRUCKERS). It's well-lit, there are no issues getting a business opened, and we have a giant freeway right next to downtown... not a beautiful river!

Jax could make this happen easily and that's the frustrating part. Nobody with any vision is ever in charge.

It isn't just the leadership without vision - most of the local population lacks it also.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2019, 10:07:08 PM »
Most of the local population lacks it in OKC, Greenville, Charlotte and just about any other city one can think of. The average Joe Blow in each city could care less about this type of stuff. Pull the petty part of our local politics out of the equation and work with the market and things will naturally take care of themselves.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2019, 05:48:53 AM »
It isn't about the locals stopping progress, it is the leadership that has to accomplish it.  The desires of the masses are rarely regarded. If you don't believe that just look at the City/School Board fiasco.

People have to SEE something they like, before they realize that is something they actually want.  They can even see it somewhere else, but think it can't be done where they live. 

There was not a popular uprising that lead to the renaissance of DT Greenville. It was visionary leadership that developed a plan and implemented it.

Make no mistake though, now that it is in place, EVERYONE understands the vision, enjoys the benefits, and most of all takes pride in it.  It would be the same in Jacksonville, once it is tangibly achieved.   

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2019, 02:01:39 PM »
Another black eye and sucker punch for downtown. It seems to never ever stop.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

Captain Zissou

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2019, 02:15:27 PM »
Another black eye and sucker punch for downtown. It seems to never ever stop.
Way to read the thread title and nothing else...

Best part is that you've ALREADY COMMENTED ON THIS THREAD.